GBB Enclosure Size

ispectechular

Arachnosquire
Is a 12x12x12 Exo Terra big enough for an adult female GBB? If not, what is your recommendations?

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Yes it is.

Just make sure to remove the mesh lid for a plexiglass piece with drilled holes 🤙

Poonjab

Arachnoking
I’d personally advise against the exo-terra for your GBB. They are strictly a terrestrial T and should be kept accordingly. The issue with exo-terras for terrestrial T’s is that how the doors are positioned, they limit the amount of sub you can put in. This increases the height from substrate to lid, which can result in a nasty fall and ultimately death.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Make your own glass enclosure, with awesome results, cheaper and better than a exo terra.

I can give you the glass panel measurements and a drawing scheme if you want.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Make your own glass enclosure, with awesome results, cheaper and better than a exo terra.

I can give you the glass panel measurements and a drawing scheme if you want.
I’ve made them myself. But post yours. Would like to view.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
One of these, I broke one during the change to my new house. These are 60x60x40 but I can make a drawing with any sizes. You can install 8cm fans on top without any issues too.

IMG_20180822_224105.jpg

IMG_20200517_015204.jpg

Last edited:

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
@Dorifto I am strongly considering flying you in to make some enclosures for me when my spiderlings get bigger!! 🤣🤣🤣

And please don't say it isn't necessary and you can give me the DIY guide....I can barely hammer a nail!!

Dorifto

He who moists xD
@Dorifto I am strongly considering flying you in to make some enclosures for me when my spiderlings get bigger!! 🤣🤣🤣

And please don't say it isn't necessary and you can give me the DIY guide....I can barely hammer a nail!!
They were my first foam background enclosures 😂😂😂😂 all the info I had to make them it's in my background tutorial thread.

It was more easy than it looks, trust me.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Here you have the enclosure graphic scheme

IMG_20200523_002020.jpg

You can see that in some point the values are not integer numbers, that mean that in those points there is a glass overlap. Ie bottom panel is 39'6x59'2 thats because it't glued to both sides (59'2+0'4+0'4=60 cm total) and the back panel (39'6+0'4=40).

The top Guide needs to be thicker than the bottom one, to slide first the door to the top guide and them in the bottom one. This way the extra milimeters of the top guide holds the glass. In my case top guide 1cm and the bottom one 0'5cm.

For ventilation you need to use a perforated aluminium panels, they are stronger and there is not any chance to the T could hang from them, hanging from one leg for example.

For gluing you need to use pet compatible silicone, like the ones for fish tanks... etc.

You can modify the hight, lenght wide etc, but you have to respect the decimals. Ie if you want a 40x40x40, you have to change the 59'2 lenght by 39'2... etc.

mellow

Arachnobaron
12 to 15 inches is good for length and width but hight should definitely be less than 12 inches. 😃

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
12 to 15 inches is good for length and width but hight should definitely be less than 12 inches. 😃
Adult Female=5 inches

Substrate=2 inches

5 dls x 2 inch rule from sub to lid make up the remaining 10 inches

And that's without taking into account almost all GBB setups I've seen giving them a little more slack in this category because they aren't really "heavy bodied" t's, and considered "semi arboreal" by SOME because they are so nimble.

Just my .2

Last edited:

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Sshhhh!!! There are members here who find those words offensive.
Thats why its quoted. But almost every GBB setup I've seen doesn't really follow the 1.5-2x dls sub to lid rule of thumb

Last edited:

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Here is one of mine. It isn't warped, the front door was cut wrong and it just looks that way. Needs cleaning but I hate destroying the webbing and he is in pre-molt.

1590260715163.png

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
This is my new set-up for my 2.5-3" Female coming in on Wednesday!

Kritter Keeper with a slice of buried wood hut as a hide, skewers as anchor points, cork bark at 45 degree angle with vines behind it and a ceramic water bowl on bone dry coco fibre sub!

Hope she likes it :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Dorifto

He who moists xD

Kritter Keeper with a slice of buried wood hut as a hide, skewers as anchor points, cork bark at 45 degree angle with vines behind it and a ceramic water bowl on bone dry coco fibre sub!

Better put the sticks in different angles and far from each one, this will give her better anchor points to web.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
PS: sorry I forgot, needs more substrate... Can not miss that phrase of course hahahahahaha

PS2: obviously is a joke, she will web everything and doesn't going to touch any substrate at all.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz

Ditch the sticks. Just get some chunks of cork bark (even chunk up the one that is in there) and glue some leaves on them and place them randomly around buried a bit in the sub. Also, I doubt it will use the hide. I don't particularly like using wood, but you should be keeping it dry enough that mold probably won't be too much of an issue.