GBB - Enclosure size & shape

Spider937372

Arachnopeon
I've recently ordered a GBB that's described as "Green bottle blue 3 cm BODY (DC)", and should be a female.

The website further explains:
"All sizes are in cm and measures the size of legspan or body (carapace + abdomen) that will be described (DC) used mainly for females."

Not having too much experience with T's, obviously, I'm having trouble really visualising what I'll get in terms of size of the T and what size of enclosure would be perfect for it at first.
Also seeing some conflicting info around whether this enclosure should have some arboreal-type height to it or not...

In the interest of preferably having an enclosure setup and ready to go before the T arrives (at which point I would be able to better judge it myself), what would be the best enclosure type to go for?
I've currently got an empty acrylic enclosure that's a flat 10.3 x 8.3 x 6 CM, as per picture attached. Hoping this will be suitable but figured I'd check with the experts :spider:

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've recently ordered a GBB that's described as "Green bottle blue 3 cm BODY (DC)", and should be a female.

The website further explains:
"All sizes are in cm and measures the size of legspan or body (carapace + abdomen) that will be described (DC) used mainly for females."

Not having too much experience with T's, obviously, I'm having trouble really visualising what I'll get in terms of size of the T and what size of enclosure would be perfect for it at first.
Also seeing some conflicting info around whether this enclosure should have some arboreal-type height to it or not...

In the interest of preferably having an enclosure setup and ready to go before the T arrives (at which point I would be able to better judge it myself), what would be the best enclosure type to go for?
I've currently got an empty acrylic enclosure that's a flat 10.3 x 8.3 x 6 CM, as per picture attached. Hoping this will be suitable but figured I'd check with the experts :spider:
Arboreal height is not needed for GBBs, they aren’t arboreal by nature, nor by morphology.

That box could work

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
I keep mine as slings in hand drilled AMAC boxes, and once they hit the juvie stage I love using just kritter keepers based on their size.

These guys are a dry kept species, and kritter keepers are inexpensive and perfect for dry t’s.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
That’s a fine enclosure. They’re terrestrial heavy webbers. People just like to give them slightly more height and anchor points to web to. Like plants and cork bark so they can build web castles. Keep it bone dry and feed it. Give it a water dish too. That’s pretty much it.

This species is Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens as well.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
They're heavy webbing terrestrials so you want a terrestrial setup with plenty of anchor points for webbing (you're basically aiming for something like the setups below but keep the substrate bone dry).

Heavy Webber setup 1.jpg
Heavy Webber setup 2.jpg

Would this 3cm body T count as a sling or a juvi? Kinda unclear on the terminology
Juvenile (I think 3cm body is something like 5-6cm leg span)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Right, thank you.
Wouldn't the above enclosure of 10x8x6 cm be a bit small then?
Yeah, for a juvie C. cyaneopubescens I'd use an Exo Terra small standard faunarium (23x15.5x17cm, same size as the first of the 2 pics I uploaded) or similarly sized equivalent.

Spider937372

Arachnopeon
Decided to get a larger acrylic box, 25x15x15cm, for it. Until that arrives she'll have to make due with a simple plastic box that's 18.5x12.5x7.5cm and I poked some holes into.
Not very keen on the (exo terra) faunariums cause they don't give me a good viewing angle for where I've got my T's positioned :watchingyou:

Edit: setup a little something just until the real enclosure arrives in a while from now. Any viable adjustment tips are welcome

Attachments

Last edited:

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
Decided to get a larger acrylic box, 25x15x15cm, for it. Until that arrives she'll have to make due with a simple plastic box that's 18.5x12.5x7.5cm and I poked some holes into.
Not very keen on the (exo terra) faunariums cause they don't give me a good viewing angle for where I've got my T's positioned :watchingyou:

Edit: setup a little something just until the real enclosure arrives in a while from now. Any viable adjustment tips are welcome
Enclosure is short for what I would use, but I've seen that enclosure and similar others housing a GBB and even Old World spiders. It can work. I like the wood protrusions as anchor points. I would put considerably less substrate (half of what you have) so long as it doesn't compromise the stability of the anchor points. One thing I would want you to know is they are heavy webbers and will surely web the lid of your enclosure as it is currently setup (setted up? setupped?). Opening webbed lids will almost always cause them to kick hairs which may spook them and become reluctant to eat until settled though most specimens of the couple dozens I've kept will readily eat once they sense prey on their webbing. Like @ivyalmighty said, they are terrestrial webbers, and anchor points are beneficial. In regards to GBB and related species, I think anchor points consequently requires more height to accommodate the setup which may bring up the term "arboreal." You can give them height but not like for an arboreal spider assuming you're incorporating lengthy anchor points. Additionally, the height helps to keep the spider from webbing the lid, and this setup is also viable for an OBT (for if when you get it) to keep it from displaying their infamous behaviors.