Gbb concern

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Gbb heads is not green more of a brownish colour why is this ??
It's a juvenile, so it could be transitioning from its sling coloring (gold carapace) to its adult coloring (turquoise carapace).

SausageinaNet

Arachnopeon
When they are smaller they don't even have any blue on them. Your sling is a GBB and its carapace will turn green as it gets bigger.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
"viper69, post: 2577249, member: 10070"]That's just crazy talk!

Except for H. sp Columbia Large, and H. sp Colubia Small to name a couple.
Well, I recently posted the question why it is said like 'the sling has its adult's coloration'. Technically, the sling colours come first, so it should be that the species keeps its sling coloration throughout its life. I wonder why this is not the case?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
One of the few T's that, molt after amolt, will give you the feeling to own a different spider everytime. Until the final colors.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, I recently posted the question why it is said like 'the sling has its adult's coloration'. Technically, the sling colours come first, so it should be that the species keeps its sling coloration throughout its life. I wonder why this is not the case?
Understood, because most other Ts, even many reptiles, have color changes from juvi to adulthood. In case of Ts, it's more the norm to change as you know, hence why H sp Columbia is referred in the manner I did.

The GBB and versicolor provide the best changes of both color and pattern IMO.

AmberDawnDays

Arachnoknight
In the cases where slings and adult coloration is the same, maybe it's said the sling has the adult coloration because the species is an adult for longer than it is a sling, therfore the coloration is assigned to the stage in life that lasts longer.

I really have no clue though. I just pulled this though out of thin air.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
In the cases where slings and adult coloration is the same, maybe it's said the sling has the adult coloration because the species is an adult for longer than it is a sling, therfore the coloration is assigned to the stage in life that lasts longer.

I really have no clue though. I just pulled this though out of thin air.
That would be a very logical reason indeed.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Understood, because most other Ts, even many reptiles, have color changes from juvi to adulthood. In case of Ts, it's more the norm to change as you know, hence why H sp Columbia is referred in the manner I did.

The GBB and versicolor provide the best changes of both color and pattern IMO.
Oh i understand that there are T's that change colours. I was just wondering why it is said that a spiderling has the adult colours, instead of saying that a spider keeps its sling colours. The last option sounds more logical to me since a spiderling gets its colours from the start. Maybe you are explaining it to me in your post and I just don't understand it correctly...?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh i understand that there are T's that change colours. I was just wondering why it is said that a spiderling has the adult colours, instead of saying that a spider keeps its sling colours. The last option sounds more logical to me since a spiderling gets its colours from the start. Maybe you are explaining it to me in your post and I just don't understand it correctly...?
I don't think you understood correctly or I didn't explain correctly. The reason it is said that way is because most tarantulas change as you know. So the norm for owners is to think of what the adult colors will be. As adult colors are the "standard" in how we think about a Ts phenotype, that is why H sp Colum. is discussed as having adult colors as a sling. In point of fact, as we all know, saying it keeps its sling colors is not wrong ;) But in the hobby, we don't ask "will it keep its sling colors", we generally ask "what adult colors will it have".

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I don't think you understood correctly or I didn't explain correctly. The reason it is said that way is because most tarantulas change as you know. So the norm for owners is to think of what the adult colors will be. As adult colors are the "standard" in how we think about a Ts phenotype, that is why H sp Colum. is discussed as having adult colors as a sling. In point of fact, as we all know, saying it keeps its sling colors is not wrong ;) But in the hobby, we don't ask "will it keep its sling colors", we generally ask "what adult colors will it have".
Ah yes, i understand now, thank you!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
When people see a new T species for the 1st time it's usually a photo of an adult. Most everyone looking to get one knows what an adult GBB looks like. So when the sling doesn't have the same color then people ask when will their sling get the adult coloration. The answer being it depends on the species. Some slings have their adult colors, some have their adult colors as a juvenile, and some do not get their adult colors till they mature.

As Viper said we tend to used adult colors as a standard because that is the colors most people are familiar with and have seen the most.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@Trenor is right. Along w/that is at shows, the FEW vendors that have photos on their tables, they are of adults, not slings. People look at the slings and wonder what is it, and the number 1 question-- what will it look like when it's adult...asked all the time.