gbb bad molt possible death sentence?

8rhz4s6jvb

Arachnopeon
I have a gbb sling that finished molting just now and I checked the molt and the sucking stomach is no where to be seen. I have looked at past posts about this and it does not end well for the spider. Can there still be some hope left?

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
2. An absence of any of these structures inside of a molt means absolutely nothing and can not be used to determine why a tarantula has stopped eating or drinking. It is a very delicate structure and is easily broken during or after a molt is complete. Especially if one looks for it after it dries. Although I can not discount the possibility that an improper regeneration and removal of the lining of these organs as a reason for a tarantula to stop eating or drinking after a molt, not seeing these structures should not be used to make a diagnosis. Correlation does not imply causation.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Long story short, most likely you can just chill. You'll know you have a potential issue if your gbb refuses food or isn't finishing a meal. Don't worry otherwise.

8rhz4s6jvb

Arachnopeon
Good news I found my last piece of hope! I was looking at the molt again with some tweezers and some how the sucking stomach got stuck in the hole where the pedipalp goes. Ever since I started tarantula keeping I have been paranoid over having a bad molt. Sorry for my dumb post.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Well if it truly didn’t molt our there is nothing you can do about it. But they are fragile and tiny during sling stages so it may have just been destroyed. There have been times I couldn’t locate it but they were fine!! I generally don’t worry about it.

wesker12

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good news I found my last piece of hope! I was looking at the molt again with some tweezers and some how the sucking stomach got stuck in the hole where the pedipalp goes. Ever since I started tarantula keeping I have been paranoid over having a bad molt. Sorry for my dumb post.
All good man, not a dumb post, you were just worried about a gorgeous little creature under your care. Just shows your a responsible, empathetic person!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Glad top hear you solved the problem! its not dumb! you were worried we all remeber those times in the beginning!

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Same thing happened to me sucking stomach got folded over. For a second I thought “oh no!”. Then I reminded myself this probably happens 1/1000 molts maybe even less often.
More likely to have a bad molt in general than have sucking stomach issues

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Same thing happened to me sucking stomach got folded over. For a second I thought “oh no!”. Then I reminded myself this probably happens 1/1000 molts maybe even less often.
More likely to have a bad molt in general than have sucking stomach issues
Yeah, sucking stomach issues seem very rare... ... except in my case: I frequently suck in my stomach when I want to look thinner.