Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Garden Spider/Egg Sac help

Discussion in 'Other Spiders & Arachnids' started by Casey Brown, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Casey Brown

Casey Brown Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I barely know anything about spiders but have recently gained a lot of appreciation for a garden spider that's been hanging out on the back of my neighbor's RV for the past serval months. (We are traveling for work & staying at a RV park at the moment.) I've watched her grow big, lay her egg sac, & spend several freezing cold nights there beside it (hence my admiration... what a great mom!) Unfortunately, today she is missing from her web so I believe she have finally passed on. :(

Which brings me to my question... her egg sac is not in a safe place... it is located on one of the RV's slides & will be crushed the next time they pull the slide in... so I would really like some info on how & where to move the egg sac so it can be in a safe place. I just really hate to think she did all that hard work & died protecting her egg just for it to be crushed... so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

Relocate a theradid egg sac. Possibly a steatoda. Somebody here must have experience with this. Wants a dry undisturbed location but preferably where the spiderlings can balloon when hatched. Anyone? Anyone? @NYAN ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jadestone

Jadestone Arachnopeon

You should be able to put it in any sheltered area. If you are worried something will get to it, you can always put it in a plastic container on a stick. When the slings hatch, put it outside and leave the lid off. This has worked for me several times.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Casey Brown

Casey Brown Arachnopeon

Thank you! One last question if you don't mind - will it hatch before spring if it is inside with us where it is warm? That is my only worry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.