GALS being sold in U.S.

Lee123

Arachnopeon
Hello. I was wondering why myhappysnails.com is selling baby GALS despite them being illegal? Are there any land snails that are legal here in the U.S.?

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I think myhappysnails ship snails illegally from outside the US, Which could lead to customs troubles.

If they're in your area, I believe Helix pomatia and Helix aspersa are legal to keep, and maybe Monadenia fidelis. They reach respectable sizes.
I like Cepaea sp. but they're smaller.

Euglandina rosea and Rumina decollata are smaller also, but they're predators so that may add an extra layer of interest.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
GALS are extremely destructive pests that have wiped out native snails where they've been introduced, and they were once established in FL before extensive efforts were made to eradicate them... They are 100% illegal to own and one invertebrate I'm 100% behind regulations for, they should never be kept in the US, as even if kept in states with cold winters, someone will inevitably send them down south where they're not supposed to, and it's all downhill from there...

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
I did a research project on those once, those things can even eat plaster and drywall and gave been known to spread rat lungworm. I’d focus on native snails if I were you.

Lee123

Arachnopeon
I did a research project on those once, those things can even eat plaster and drywall and gave been known to spread rat lungworm. I’d focus on native snails if I were you.
I looked into it a little and I heard that wild snails only spread sickness.

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I looked into it a little and I heard that wild snails only spread sickness.
Well, all wild snails and slugs can get infected with rat lungworm. It's a scary parasite. If you get a snail from a reputable breeder then infection should be very rare, but it could still potentially happen. Just never eat an undercooked snail, and always wash your hands before and after handling one.