Galapagos Tortoise

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If they are endangered it should be brought to a breeding facility, not purchased by a person. Every individual is like gold to saving the species.

Thats my opinion.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The shell looks a little off maybe? Don't know what a healthy Gala baby looks like in detail but maybe a little pyramiding going on there(?). Yeah that'd be cool and I've thought about it for a few years now. That's a lot of $ though. If I did it, I would not only buy a male or a female, I'd have to get both and try to breed them ...if I lived long enough.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ummmm it does seem alittle fishy as i think all Galapagos species are protected.....maybe its a sub-species like the true G.T. but i couldn't imagine it being the GT for-sale?????

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I read about this the other day. I cant remember who, but some site listed that they were legally breeding and selling Galapagos tortoises, so it would not surprise me if it is the real deal.

It cant be that different then lots of animals that were listed but still being bred in captivity and legally sold. Alligators, Bison are both examples of creatures that are/were listed but private breeders still bred them and used them as food.

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Umm it is the real deal - a Galapagos tortoise! It was bred at a breeding facility and is the only 07 captive bred available and will only be sold to a resident of Florida.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Gala torts are legally sold in the US. They cost a lot of $. I saw a couple of adults for sale a few years ago for $6000 each. Other than being rare, I think the high price might help weed out owners that might be less likely to take care of them properly ...in general. Well, going to go buy another lottery ticket, haha.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
something seems a little fishy about that one
Naturecoast is a very reputable dealer. They have an assortment of breathetaking herps. They sold a Salt Water Croc a few weeks back. And if you notice, it says no sales outside florida. Florida has pretty lenient animal laws from what I understand, so this is not at all that far fetched. Not to mention, if you buy a crocodilian from these guys, you basically need to get interviewed by them to make sure you know what you're doing.

sidguppy

Arachnopeon
I've been to the Galapagos and yes, everything is protected, so this is rare

however, they DO breed tortoises there in numbers, because of the feral dogs and cats little tortoises have almost no hope of surviving. even on the less damaged islands

they do this at the Charles Darwin institute; it's big and they have loads of baby tortoises.
every subspecies is bred and kept apart and once the babies reach a certain size they are released into the wild on the appropriate island where their parents originated.

at 'football size' they are able to protect themselves from cats and dogs.

unfortunately until recently Equador has suffered the last years from one of those ultra capitalist governments (this situation has now reversed) and that resulted into even more corruption and sell out of natural resources than usually, if possible.

they got into a load of trouble. the last few years they even let real big cruisers do ports on the Galapagos; a move that resulted into more invasive species and more trouble for the local wildlife. and they let far too many people settle there.

that situation too has been reversed; there are plans to close it off and limit tourism quite severe.

There are no islands were the tortoises are that abundant that they canm be seen all over; you have to look for them!
so legal or not; the fact that they turn up for sale turns them into something 'money can buy'.
a bad move in my book.:mad:

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I don't know anything about tortoises so I won't comment on that, but WOW that place has some cool creatures for sale! And cheap!

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
this is pretty rare, although Aldebra ,Angonoka and Radiated are commonly available in Asian Pet Market

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Neat tortoise, alaas there is some serious pyramiding going on with it's shell. This is very common in captive bred tortoises of all species, and little is known about what causes it although there are numerous theories.

Empi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I noticed that natures coast was selling that little guy a week or so ago. Could you imagine. It would out live you for sure. You would have to make arrangements in your will.:}

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I noticed that natures coast was selling that little guy a week or so ago. Could you imagine. It would out live you for sure. You would have to make arrangements in your will.:}
And for that very reason I think it's hugely irresponsible to get a GT. Don't get me wrong, I love turtles. But who are you going to will an animal as huge as a mature GT grows to be, who can also provide the proper diet and environment for the animals physical and mental well-being? Chances are good that once you're gone the animal will end up in a rescue.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah but can't you imagine picking up a date in that. "c'mon just hop on she won't bite" I'll love it. :D

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ha, well, I don't think there are enough GT's in the US for them to be dumped in an orphanage yet but I guess that could happen some day. If that did happen some day, it might mean the species it numerous enough not to be endangered. Right now people will pay big bucks for an adult. There should probably be laws/requirements, ...maybe have potential owners fill out an application to purchase GTs.