G. Roses barricaded in hide?

Swiped

Arachnopeon
IMG_5375.PNG IMG_5455.JPG Hi guys! Have a G. Rosea (Chilean Rose) female around 14 months old. I've had her for 2 months, and she molted a week after I got her home.

Anyway, for the first time she has barricaded herself in her hide, completely blocking off one of the entrances and partially blocking off the other. She hasn't been out in 10 days, although I have dropped a mealworm in there on two separate occasions to see if she took them and indeed she did.

I thought at first she was in pre molt, but so far nothing seems to be happening.

Any ideas as to what is happening or advice would be greatly appreciated. It would be nice to be able to change the substrate in her enclosure lol!

Attachments

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
That's definitely not a G. rosea you got there... appears to be a B. albopilosum (Hobby-Form), Consider the the dirt that it buried itself in as a "Do Not Disturb" sign. It will come out when its all good and ready, as long as there is a source of water in the setup (water-dish) they'll be fine without intervention. Just as they easily block up they're hide with substrate and webbing, They are just as easily able to get free. Whats wrong with the substrate that you have that requires it to be changed? With cage maintenance take out the bolus after every meal and on occasion I clean fecal matter for aesthetic purposes.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
thats a Brachypelma albo. no need to change the substrate, ever. T poop is practically nothing and no brachy cage should be wet enough to have mold. unless theres mites, dont bother changing the sub. if its eating its not in premolt, its just being a tarantula.

Swiped

Arachnopeon
thats a Brachypelma albo. no need to change the substrate, ever. T poop is practically nothing and no brachy cage should be wet enough to have mold. unless theres mites, dont bother changing the sub. if its eating its not in premolt, its just being a tarantula.
That's definitely the last time I buy any spiders from site! I've purchased two and got two completely different ones by the looks of it! Thanks!

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Just wondering what site did you buy her from? And secondly as stated there is no need to worry about your T's behavior just think of it as her renovating!:)

Swiped

Arachnopeon
That's definitely not a G. rosea you got there... appears to be a B. albopilosum (Hobby-Form), Consider the the dirt that it buried itself in as a "Do Not Disturb" sign. It will come out when its all good and ready, as long as there is a source of water in the setup (water-dish) they'll be fine without intervention. Just as they easily block up they're hide with substrate and webbing, They are just as easily able to get free. Whats wrong with the substrate that you have that requires it to be changed?
That's definitely not a G. rosea you got there... appears to be a B. albopilosum (Hobby-Form), Consider the the dirt that it buried itself in as a "Do Not Disturb" sign. It will come out when its all good and ready, as long as there is a source of water in the setup (water-dish) they'll be fine without intervention. Just as they easily block up they're hide with substrate and webbing, They are just as easily able to get free. Whats wrong with the substrate that you have that requires it to be changed? With cage maintenance take out the bolus after every meal and on occasion I clean fecal matter for aesthetic purposes.
I've bought two spiders now from the same site and appear to have received different varieties. Think it's the last time I use them. I'm still new to the hobby, and I'm following a basic care sheet I was given that says the substrate should be changed every couple of months?

Swiped

Arachnopeon
Just wondering what site did you buy her from? And secondly as stated there is no need to worry about your T's behavior just think of it as her renovating!:)
I bought her from Tarantula's Bristol, based in the UK. Is it a good idea to keep dropping a mealworm in every 3 to 4 days seeing as she is eating them? Thanks!

Swiped

Arachnopeon
That's definitely the last time I buy any spiders from site! I've purchased two and got two completely different ones by the looks of it! Thanks!
Would you recommend I keep dropping a mealworm into her hide every few days as she is eating them? Thanks!

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Ok ya weird I haven't heard to many bad thing about them, And it depends on size/age how much you feed them personally anything over 3 inch or adult size for dwarfs I feed once a week maybe less. Also no need to drop it into her hide sometimes they don't like being disturbed and you never know if she stays in there for a while it could be premolt ,Just dropping it near her hide will be sufficient.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
I've bought two spiders now from the same site and appear to have received different varieties. Think it's the last time I use them. I'm still new to the hobby, and I'm following a basic care sheet I was given that says the substrate should be changed every couple of months?
That's to bad man, I would suggest you find your info and pose questions on these forums opposed to using care-sheets as a lot of them are grossly misguided. The only time I would completely change the sub is if its infested with mites or mold.. if not then spot clean and your good... I haven't had to change the sub in most of my enclosures in a year.

Swiped

Arachnopeon
Ok ya weird I haven't heard to many bad thing about them, And it depends on size/age how much you feed them personally anything over 3 inch or adult size for dwarfs I feed once a week maybe less.[/QUOTE
Ill see she get's on. Thanks for your help!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
dont follow online car sheets. only trust what you read here.

Swiped

Arachnopeon
That's to bad man, I would suggest you find your info and pose questions on these forums opposed to using care-sheets as a lot of them are grossly misguided. The only time I would completely change the sub is if its infested with mites or mold.. if not then spot clean and your good... I haven't had to change the sub in most of my enclosures in a year.
Although I care for them all the same, it's still nice to know exactly what breed of T's I have, in line with temperament and what not. I will definitely be asking questions here in the future! Do you think It would be a good idea to place cover the substrate that is in there already with a think layer of fresh and moist Coconut Fibre? I was thinking It would help keep the humidity up as the substrate that is already in there is very dry, and as much as I mist the enclosure the humidity drops very fast to around 30%.

Swiped

Arachnopeon
dont follow online car sheets. only trust what you read here.
I will be definitely be asking questions here from now on! Are there any good and reputable sites you recommend purchasing from?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I will be definitely be asking questions here from now on! Are there any good and reputable sites you recommend purchasing from?
cant say much being from Canada. tarantulabristol i heard is good.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Although I care for them all the same, it's still nice to know exactly what breed of T's I have, in line with temperament and what not. I will definitely be asking questions here in the future! Do you think It would be a good idea to place cover the substrate that is in there already with a think layer of fresh and moist Coconut Fibre? I was thinking It would help keep the humidity up as the substrate that is already in there is very dry, and as much as I mist the enclosure the humidity drops very fast to around 30%.
I keep my albo on dry substrate with occasionally adding moisture to one side of the enclosure, I use a large pipette to get moisture deep into the substrate to hold moisture longer and to minimize disturbance to the T as misting the sub holds moisture for a couple hours max, Don't fixate on exact humidity measures as it'll drive you mad. Ive heard that the spider shop has a very good reputation http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I'm sorry that you did not receive what you paid for because that is always disappointing. However, you have received an awesome little species who will not try your patience as much as a G. porteri/rosea will. They don't have the propensity for fasting, and out of the blue mood swings, like the rose hairs do and they are lovely little creatures.
One of mine loves burrowing, while the other never has. It is normal behaviour and I would not be too concerned. Just keep offering them food now and then and removing it if they don't take it within about a day.
Their upkeep is pretty straightforward - I keep mine on the drier side and overflow the water dish once in a while.