G. Roses barricaded in hide?

Swiped

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry that you did not receive what you paid for because that is always disappointing. However, you have received an awesome little species who will not try your patience as much as a G. porteri/rosea will. They don't have the propensity for fasting, and out of the blue mood swings, like the rose hairs do and they are lovely little creatures.
One of mine loves burrowing, while the other never has. It is normal behaviour and I would not be too concerned. Just keep offering them food now and then and removing it if they don't take it within about a day.
Their upkeep is pretty straightforward - I keep mine on the drier side and overflow the water dish once in a while.
I do love them all the same, it's just nice to know exactly what breed I have. Funny thing is that I just purchased a B. Albo which I am led to believe I received a different (currently unknown) breed, so the fact that I may have had one this whole time is ironic lol! Is there any way I can find out for sure?

Swiped

Arachnopeon
Just done a little bit of research, I'm thinking she may be a Brachypelma Vagans? Of the two pics below, the first one is of a Brachypelma Vagans I found on google. The second pic is of my T. Hoping I'm on the right track? brachypelma_vagans_by_darkwolver.jpg 13620221_658583317627650_8947842652656986988_n.jpg

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Just done a little bit of research, I'm thinking she may be a Brachypelma Vagans? Of the two pics below, the first one is of a Brachypelma Vagans I found on google. The second pic is of my T. Hoping I'm on the right track? View attachment 222034 View attachment 222033
That is the hybrid that has formed the 'pube hair! Hobby form.

My AF B. vagans
View media item 34911
And my mutt 'Pube Hair' B. alboView media item 33993
You have yourself a typical B. albopilosum UK hobby form.

As I have said to people from UK here before.. Avoid that 'shop'.

If you feel the need to buy more Ts don't hesitate to ask me. I may have what you need or be able to help you find a trustworthy dealer/breeder :)

awiec

Arachnoprince
I do love them all the same, it's just nice to know exactly what breed I have. Funny thing is that I just purchased a B. Albo which I am led to believe I received a different (currently unknown) breed, so the fact that I may have had one this whole time is ironic lol! Is there any way I can find out for sure?
Prolly should get in the habit of calling them what they are, species, breeds are the result of human domestication and selective breeding. As for you mystery spider, you're better off using actual taxanomic papers instead of pictures but it does seem pretty similar to a Hobby Form B.albopilosum. Also this and other arid environment genus have a tendency to hole up in burrows, I have a spider that will seal herself in her burrow for 6-7 months every year.

Swiped

Arachnopeon
Prolly should get in the habit of calling them what they are, species, breeds are the result of human domestication and selective breeding. As for you mystery spider, you're better off using actual taxanomic papers instead of pictures but it does seem pretty similar to a Hobby Form B.albopilosum. Also this and other arid environment genus have a tendency to hole up in burrows, I have a spider that will seal herself in her burrow for 6-7 months every year.
Thanks for the help, I'm just glad I know for sure what species she is now!

Swiped

Arachnopeon
That is the hybrid that has formed the 'pube hair! Hobby form.

My AF B. vagans
View media item 34911
And my mutt 'Pube Hair' B. alboView media item 33993
You have yourself a typical B. albopilosum UK hobby form.

As I have said to people from UK here before.. Avoid that 'shop'.

If you feel the need to buy more Ts don't hesitate to ask me. I may have what you need or be able to help you find a trustworthy dealer/breeder :)
I'm inclined to believe she is indeed a B. Albo Pube Hair! Thanks so much for the help and pics! Glad I know what she is now, although it is annoying to know I received different spiders to what I ordered. I wonder if they actually know they post out the wrong species? Either way I'm happy with what I have! Do you breed them also?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I'm inclined to believe she is indeed a B. Albo Pube Hair! Thanks so much for the help and pics! Glad I know what she is now, although it is annoying to know I received different spiders to what I ordered. I wonder if they actually know they post out the wrong species? Either way I'm happy with what I have! Do you breed them also?
I used to breed B. vagans a lot and I also got sent MMs that were hybrid vagans and therefore no use :banghead:

I don't think the 'shop' that you bought them from actually cares what they send out. It seems they just want to give out any spider as they can't care for them correctly :shifty:.

I am sure you have B. albo HF(even from the photo) as there has been many bred in the UK lately.

Dont worry though as they are generally the same care and temperament wise. They are cracking Ts.

What ever you do just dont breed it ;)

Swiped

Arachnopeon
I used to breed B. vagans a lot and I also got sent MMs that were hybrid vagans and therefore no use :banghead:

I don't think the 'shop' that you bought them from actually cares what they send out. It seems they just want to give out any spider as they can't care for them correctly :shifty:.

I am sure you have B. albo HF(even from the photo) as there has been many bred in the UK lately.

Dont worry though as they are generally the same care and temperament wise. They are cracking Ts.

What ever you do just dont breed it ;)
That's me definitely not a returning customer to TB now! Thanks for your help identifying them, you've been a true legend! I went to temperament test the juvenile earlier, and she flicked hairs a good 3 or 4 times, although I have had her on my hand a few times now, which is why I was enquiring about their temperament. Does your ever flick hairs?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
That's me definitely not a returning customer to TB now! Thanks for your help identifying them, you've been a true legend! I went to temperament test the juvenile earlier, and she flicked hairs a good 3 or 4 times, although I have had her on my hand a few times now, which is why I was enquiring about their temperament. Does your ever flick hairs?
Most of my new worlds (all the ones with urticating hairs) have flicked at me at least once. It should be seen as a 'leave me be' sign.

Younger specimens will tend to kick more as they probably feel more vulnerable. Brachypelma hair can be a pain for some people but I have been lucky with that so far and dont get a reaction from them.

It's a good species to own as a beginner but please remember that they don't benefit from being handled. I sometimes(very rarely) handle mine if i am doing cage maintenance and they wander out, but I do all my maintenance on the floor so they don't have big fall risk if they decide to come out.

I wish you all the best luck with your new Ts. They are v nice :)

Edit: My Thrixopelma cyaneolum has never flicked at me :p

Last edited:

Swiped

Arachnopeon
Most of my new worlds (all the ones with urticating hairs) have flicked at me at least once. It should be seen as a 'leave me be' sign.

Younger specimens will tend to kick more as they probably feel more vulnerable. Brachypelma hair can be a pain for some people but I have been lucky with that so far and dont get a reaction from them.

It's a good species to own as a beginner but please remember that they don't benefit from being handled. I sometimes(very rarely) handle mine if i am doing cage maintenance and they wander out, but I do all my maintenance on the floor so they don't have big fall risk if they decide to come out.

I wish you all the best luck with your new Ts. They are v nice :)

Edit: My Thrixopelm cyaneolum has never flicked at me :p
Thanks for the advice! I don't plan on handling them often, only once every blue moon if they're up for it lol. The older B. Albo (formerly known as the Chilean Rose haha!) has never flicked hairs at me or even raised a threat posture. She seems very calm, and loves her hide. And thank you, as are yours! Thanks again for the help!!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Thinking about it, mine never has either, only threat pose I've seen was when a dubia roach tried to crawl under her... then she ate him.
Hahah they are very chill usually. When it comes to hair I wish my thrixopelma ockerti would be the same :watchingyou:

awiec

Arachnoprince
Hahah they are very chill usually. When it comes to hair I wish my thrixopelma ockerti would be the same :watchingyou:
The difference in temperament is amazing, usually you can apply it to a genus as a whole but not these guys. I imagine it has to deal with their more arboreal lifestyle.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is it a good idea to keep dropping a mealworm in every 3 to 4 days seeing as she is eating them?
I'd be careful about dropping down a live mealworm if you think your T is going to molt for example. Mealworms burry into substrate and disappear and have been known to severely injure Ts that are molting. If you are doing to do that, at least kill the mealworm by crushing its head FIRST.

know exactly what breed of T's I have
Ts are not breeds. A breed, such as a dog or cat, is the SAME species as another breed of dog/cat.

You own a species, a unique scientifically identified exotic animal.

I don't plan on handling them often, only once every blue moon if they're up for it lol
Not a wise idea to handle. Many people do this and end up with a dead tarantula, because their "docile" rose hair decided to leap off the owners hand etc. Remember, your T's life depends on YOU.

Swiped

Arachnopeon
Just checked on my T's to find that the latest addition has now barricaded herself in her hide now too! IMG_5678.JPG