G rosea's don't like it wet.

Robin Da Hood

Arachnopeon
Supposedly, G. rosea don't like damp substrate....hmmmm. My girl T is back in her water dish again. Any ideas about this crazy behavior? Seeing as how she has her female parts in the water, maybe this is her equivalent of a cold shower? :confused:

Perocore

Arachnoknight
Maybe the water's very low? Or she's warm? Not sure...can't really imagine a tarantula liking to swim XD​

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't like tomatoes, but I like spaghetti.

Not sure how them not liking damp substrate has anything to do with the water dish? :?

G. rosea are weird - it's their MO.

Perocore

Arachnoknight
Well then, maybe she's just a weird spider? I've heard some strange things about the G. rosea's XD I wouldn't worry 'bout her, maybe she just likes water.​

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've actually noticed a number of my Ts having a stronger obsession with water when they are nearing a molt. Could this be the case with your Rosie?

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've actually noticed a number of my Ts having a stronger obsession with water when they are nearing a molt. Could this be the case with your Rosie?
probably because they need the moisture to attempt the molt and get out of their old skin. usually thats why people suggest extra mistings during moltings.

My LP loved his water dish until i introduced a house for him. it could just like hanging onto something for a weird reason, if its not drinking.

come2imagine3

Arachnopeon
Usually whenever a tarantula of any species sits over their water means that they are dehydrated. You might want to check to see if her abdomen has shrunk a little or it may even shrivcel up a little bit. Depending on how dehydrated you might want to put her into an ICU, or you can keep half of the substrate damp and the other side dry with a larger water dish. Let me know how it goes.

Robin Da Hood

Arachnopeon
Usually whenever a tarantula of any species sits over their water means that they are dehydrated. You might want to check to see if her abdomen has shrunk a little or it may even shrivcel up a little bit. Depending on how dehydrated you might want to put her into an ICU, or you can keep half of the substrate damp and the other side dry with a larger water dish. Let me know how it goes.
Abdomen looks full, no apparent shrinkage or shriveling noted. Will continue to monitor and keep ever1 up to date. Thanks all for the info. :worship:

come2imagine3

Arachnopeon
That was a very helpful comment. It most certainly is a sign of dehydration, but I'm not going to debate it. If you are saying the tarantula might not be dehydrated you are certainly correct, but hanging out over the water dish is a sign of dehydration in a lot of cases. If you have a different diagnosis please share it with us, and I don't mean this to sound rude so please excuse me if it comes off this way. I just want to help the T, thanks

rk1983

Arachnopeon
My Rosie doesn't sit in her water dish, but I have seen her a couple times sitting next to it with a leg or two in the water, I don't think it's a humidity issue, the humidity in the tank is around 55-65%, I've even seen her drink a couple times too, it's kind of weird looking the first time you see it.

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That was a very helpful comment. It most certainly is a sign of dehydration, but I'm not going to debate it. If you are saying the tarantula might not be dehydrated you are certainly correct, but hanging out over the water dish is a sign of dehydration in a lot of cases. If you have a different diagnosis please share it with us, and I don't mean this to sound rude so please excuse me if it comes off this way. I just want to help the T, thanks
I have 20 Ts that will all frequently sit over the water dish. They always have water in the dish, and I have never had a dehydrated T. So that is not what it "usually" means.

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It most certainly is a sign of dehydration.
No, it's not.

Drinking water is a sign of being thirsty. Hanging around the water dish is a sign of the spider wanting to hang around the water dish.

Signs of dehydration include:

• Shriveled abdomen
  • Partial (or complete) death curl
  • Trouble extending legs/moving/walking
  • A very 'urgent' drinking response to refilling a dry water dish or adding water to a dry enclosure

Again, hanging around the water dish (as the OP has pictured) is not a sign of dehydration.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
As already stated by others, hanging around the water dish like the OP posted, is NOT a sign of dehydration. A number of mine regularly hang out around their water dishes as well (my G. rosea included) and none of them are dehydrated.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I believe they can actually drink though their first pair of legs too. I forgot where I read that.

Maxrpm

Arachnopeon
My female G. rosea lives next to her water dish and is very rarely away from it. T room hovers around 70% humidity and 78 degrees.. My RCF G. rosea never comes out of her hide. If she does it's only late at night when lights are off.

Enclosures sit right next to each other.. Like humans, each tarantula have their own little quirks and personalities.