G. Rosea sp. concepcion help...

ratz00

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am new here, and I hope I have not made a redundant post...

I have recently procured a sub-adult female of this type. She is all docile and doesnt even kick hairs at me. Althoughy I have been told the seller to care for it like any rosea, I am beginning to believe that this may not be so... I have a g. rosea rcf female, and I duplicated her enclosure and conditions fo said enclosure for my Concepcion sp. For the past week, I have had to pick up after her all the time. She just turns everything topsy-turvy and inside-out all over her enclosure. I have tried, moist then dry substrate, and varying degrees of humidity... Every thing points to stress, but this T is just calm when you pick her up. she eats like 3-4 mealworms everyday since I got her. So I cant figure out what makes her do all that hell rasing when insaid an enclosure and only when I am not watching... I say this because I tried doing a vigil on her for 2 straight days... nothing. I got to sleep early the next day.. and whoom, I wake up and shes all covered in substrate, together with the water dish. The hide is buried somewhere in there...sigh. I just dont know what to make of it. So if anyone has any idea, or has an article about this, or maybe an appropriate caresheet, it will be much appreciated...:wall: :wall: :wall: :confused:

thanks in advance...

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hi,

i picked up a female of this species some time ago as well. and yes, just keep her like a rosie - everything very dry and a water dish that's always full. a few inches of substrate and a hide.

i wouldn't worry about the landscaping activity - mine did that as well in the beginning. they just seem to like their tanks better after they got a chance to redecorate them ;). mine also does that after i change the substrate - she HATES it if it'd even slightly moist.

so what i would suggest is: let her do her thing and just let her be for a month or two. she should calm down in time. and sometimes, she will go crazy again and start changing stuff to her taste:rolleyes:.

btw: i have a very small heatlamp near the tank of my female, and she just loves to have a sunbath. she actually moves into full light of her own accord and spends hours on end basking in the heat. so maybe your environment is too humind and too cold for a species that loves heat and dryness.

and maybe she just acts stressed out because you try to adjust the conditions too often for her to calm down (though of course trying to find the ideal conditions is a good thing!). so try drying her out and leaving her alone for a few weeks and keep us posted!

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
uh i forgot: you feed her way too much. she will blow up like a baloon, thus increasing the risk of fatal injury or molting difficulties. and then she will start fasting for months - that's hard on many a t keeper's nerves;).

also, crickets or roaches would be a healthier diet. for an adult g. spec. conception, one or two big crickets a week are plenty. i feed mine only twice a month with one grasshopper, and she never loses weight.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would really back off the feeding, One to two items a week is plenty. As for her behavior, you might have just found a satanic Rosie.... they are out there. A dime a dozen. But to see if that is the case since you just got her let her be for a while. Let her adjust to her new home and get settled.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It seems as though satanic G.roseas aren't that rare anymore. THey pop up everywhere nowadays. Anyway I'm not gonna repeat what everyone said, just gonna say it would help if you could get a picture of your newly aquired T.

ratz00

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Haha, thanks y'all. Well her opisthosoma was and still is in a "sexy" configuration so I dont think she'll blow up soon. lol. Just the same, I will leave her for a while as you say. As for being satanic, haha, maybe only in making major upheavals in the enclosure, as for her attitude, shes been an angel, and hasnt flicked hairs nor even bared her fangs. She seems to like crawling all over me but I dont indulge her much. I let her crawl for a few minutes then put her back in her cage. My other rosea rcf, is just hunky dory in her own little world, except now she's in pre-molt so shes kinda wary of all the goings on around her. As for roseas being wierd, well, all of mine are. I have 2 sub-adult fem roseas and three un-sexed 4cm slings. They all have weird habits. lol.

@ alice - thanks for the help. Really appreciated. Will update you on our progress. I would like to know more about yours too. :) Maybe we can exchange notes, I am a newbie in the hobby and could use a all the help I can get. Lol.

@ talkenlate04 & Novak - I certainly hope I dont have a satanic rose, lol. and yes I will feed her less. I just wanted all my T's having the same sized opisthosomas. Will try to post pics, but basically, the concepcion looks almost like a rosea rcf except where the rosea rcf I have is black under the prosoma but not the opisthosoma, whereas the rosea concepcion has black undersides on both opisthosoma and prosoma and of course the enlarges pads and toes. :cool:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
so far, there is nothing much to compare - my female just does her thing. i will certainly keep you all posted when i try to mate her though. i should get a male this summer (when my breeder's finished with him ;)).

she's a bit more active than most roseas and a better hunter and eater. as she's more up and about, she also doesn't gain weight as quickly. i feed her sparingly though.

btw: she also has lighter coloured ans thicker hairs on her legs and a slight, yellowish banding on the knees. i'm afraid the pic is not too good, doesn't do her justice :eek:.

Last edited:

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
She's the same G. rosea sp. concepcion Ratz is talking about? She's gorgeous. I hope Ratz can post a pic for comparison. :clap:

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes, that's the g. spec. conception i was talking about. irl she's much more beautiful than on the pic, obviously ;).

many of those have been imported into germany during the past few months, and i got mine as part of a deal. they are almost as cheap as roseas (around 17 euro for an adult female, that's a bit more than 20$, roseas are around 15 euro here), but much prettier ime. we'll just have to wait and see how easily they breed...

ratz00

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yup. looks exactly like my girl...God am I in love or what?!!! I will post pictures, bt I promised to leave her alone forthe time being. She's calmed down a bit. I took out her dirt dish ( always starts as a water dish :D ), for the moment, will bring it back tomorrow. Alice, compare the markings on the patella of the concepcion to a rose, it seem to be more distinct on the concepcion.:D

ratz00

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey guys, I left my rosea sp. concepcion alone as all of you have suggested, and after several upheavals and lanscaping she has, sort of, relaxed already. Thanks Alice! Here's a picture of my baby all tuckered out and just covered with substrate...:)

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
np!

i just love their fuzzy looks :eek:... big and mean is great, but somehow i get all 'awww, look at that!' at the sight of a fuzzy tarantula... guess i'm a girl after all ;)

ratz00

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hehe. Well I am no girl and I like the fuzzy look too... which is why I mostly have new world T's. :) So far I got me like 28 new world T's and 5 old world ones. All of my old world T's were either freebies or part of the package...lol. :) :) :) thanks again.