G. Rosea sling handling question

Maddy

Arachnopeon
Hello,
I just got a G. Rosea sling, this is my first tarantula. I would eventually like to handle said tarantula, however I am wondering how large it should be before I attempt to handle it.
Thanks,
-Maddy

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Wait till it's atleast 3 inches... Which means you have about five years to research why handling Tarantulas is a bad idea and is generally frowned upon.

Maddy

Arachnopeon
Good to know. How should I go about moving it into another cage once it gets larger?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Member since today and asking a handling question. AB don't feed the troll.
Ehh you never know it could be a new keeper just asking questions. If we ignored genuine questions because of the fear of troll posts the boards would die as well as a lot of Tarantulas.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Lots of horror stories associated with handling. I understand the urge. But it's best if you don't. Treat them like a pet fish.

Let us know if you have more questions. Always happy to help:)

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
Giving advice in tarantula handling is like a parent teaching the birds and the bees.Deep inside you dont want them to do it,so all you can do is give them advice so that they can do it safe and correct.

With that in mind, Practice safe handling, use rubber,as in rubber gloves,to avoid possible irritation in the skin.

Be gentle.

If she's not in the mood to be handled, dont force it,just because you want it doesnt mean she wants it too.

Pulling-out isnt safe.which is why you should not grab her from her tank,prod her into ur hands using a brush.

No acrobatics,do it near the ground to avoid possible injury to the T.

I hope you change ur mind about handling them,but if you really want to,you should take this advice(and even more from google) for the sake of you and ur Ts.they take years to grow(specially the ones you have) so it would be a real shame to wait that long and lost it in an instant just because of improper handling.

Maddy

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the help! I'm quite new to this and the last thing I'd want is to harm my spider by trying to pick up him/her, thanks for the advice.