G. Rosea scared of crix.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just recently got a new 5 1/2 in. rosea (you guys might have seen the thread). I wanted to feed it once, because i've never seen one that big eat. {D

anyways, I dropped a cric in there. it wasn't too big, because the T is already kinda obese, but big enough that she would eat it. well, it kept jumping around, so i broke it's legs off ( {D ), and the rosea still cringed at it.

yeah, i admit, i did kinda drop it on her head... 2 time... :embarrassed:

my guess is because t's on sand, which i'm trying to change. I don't have a car/liscense, but i'm going to the store for potting soil tomorrow. (i'll make sure it has no insecticides in it. (my other rosea seems fine on it, so it shouldn't be an issue.)

okay, probably killing the database with all this typing, so i'll leave it for you guys. thx in adv! :D

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It could just not be hungry. It's a G.rosea, they won't eat just to disappoint or upset you.:eek:

Last edited:

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
heh heh. i just saw you state that in the last thread I read. lol

(oops. i'm hounding my thread. i h8 when ppl do that...)

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i don't want to disappoint you, but a fat rosea might fast for months. i once had a male go for about 7 months without a single meal (before his ultimate molt).

so retreating from the annoying moving object is a normal reaction for a rosie that is not hungry.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just recently got a new 5 1/2 in. rosea (you guys might have seen the thread). I wanted to feed it once, because i've never seen one that big eat. {D

anyways, I dropped a cric in there. it wasn't too big, because the T is already kinda obese, but big enough that she would eat it. well, it kept jumping around, so i broke it's legs off ( {D ), and the rosea still cringed at it.

yeah, i admit, i did kinda drop it on her head... 2 time... :embarrassed:

my guess is because t's on sand, which i'm trying to change. I don't have a car/liscense, but i'm going to the store for potting soil tomorrow. (i'll make sure it has no insecticides in it. (my other rosea seems fine on it, so it shouldn't be an issue.)

okay, probably killing the database with all this typing, so i'll leave it for you guys. thx in adv! :D
sorry but i had to laugh about dropping it on her head 2 times :embarrassed: :embarrassed: lol {D :D :razz: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: on me :8o £££ phil

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
feeding trick I love

There's this cool trick that I got off of a post by Cacoseraph I'm pretty sure, but anyway, here it is. Drop a couple drops of water in front of your T, and if it pounces, it's probably hungry. For my finicky T's, or those that I haven't figured out their eating schedule, this has been a great (repeat, great) help. It's frustrating to get a meal all ready for a T only to find that it isn't hungry. I've been feeding roaches lately (LOVE them), but I hate to sacrifice a big, fat one from my still fairly meager colony if I don't have to. Hope this helps. Tony

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, i checked this morning, and i couldn't find the cric. then, again, i couldn't fine the body, either. :?

That water trick is kewl, tho. ima have to try that...

Mustacherose

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It might be because if you got her very recently, within a week, then she might just be stressed from the move.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have never ever found any remains of cricks I gave my A.seemani :).

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Rosies are weird, I have a juvie that I have had for a year and it has been fasting for about 4 months now. It is still active (well, active for a rosie) and looks good so I don't worry to much. My rosies run away from food or swat it if they aren't hungry or just don't want it right at that moment, don't worry about it, they will eat when they are hungry.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes, rosies are weird indeed. I've had my 3" for about 3 months. I thought she was eating well until i discovered the hole where the crickets had been hiding, dying and then molding (ick). So apparently she's eaten only once or twice in that period.

More often when the cricket approaches her she'll step on it with one foot and hold it there pinned to the ground for an hour or more, then release it without ever biting. Do you think she's tasting it or what?

Yep, rosies are weird.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
etown, your rosie could just be playing with them. I have some slings that when they don't want crickets they play table tennis with them. Usually the rosies if they don't want the cricket, will run from it.

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My rosea hasn't eaten since January 18th, and yet its abdomen seems to be the same size or even bigger possibly... I took a couple good pics in case someone thinks something is wrong.... I know they can fast for no reason for a long time, but I thought she'd lose some weight....

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My rosea hasn't eaten since January 18th, and yet its abdomen seems to be the same size or even bigger possibly... I took a couple good pics in case someone thinks something is wrong.... I know they can fast for no reason for a long time, but I thought she'd lose some weight....
I know I shouldn't laugh, but your spider is FINE. If she *was* losing weight, then something WOULD be wrong with her. :)

PS: Ellipses only have three periods in them........and shouldn't be overused.............{D

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know I shouldn't laugh, but your spider is FINE. If she *was* losing weight, then something WOULD be wrong with her. :)

PS: Ellipses only have three periods in them........and shouldn't be overused.............{D
Thanks!
And I love ellipses! :8o