G. Rosea Retardation

Mammothdog

Arachnopeon
I love this T with all my heart yet she's acting so funny. I know shes in premolt but she keeps staring at the corner of her enclosure with her abdomen in the air. Is something going wrong with her. I have plenty of water and I have also been trying to feed her but she doesn't want to eat and she also has a black boldspot finally. Now has anyone else had this problem?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wouldn't call that a problem. Tarantulas do weird stuff like this all the time. Spiders in premolt, especially will do, yaknow, weird stuff. Just make sure she has water and wait it out.

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One of my female adults was doing the same thing a couple of nights ago only she was standing on top of her hide facing the side of her enclosure.They just tend to do strange things from time to time.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
lol my G pulchripes does that whenever it goes into premolt it never caused i issue though so i wouldn't worry who knows why tarantulas do what tarantulas do

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love this T with all my heart yet she's acting so funny. I know shes in premolt but she keeps staring at the corner of her enclosure with her abdomen in the air. Is something going wrong with her. I have plenty of water and I have also been trying to feed her but she doesn't want to eat and she also has a black boldspot finally. Now has anyone else had this problem?
Classic Rose premolt behaviour the black spot gives it away, she must be getting close.

Mammothdog

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys I knew she was in premolt but I didn't think they would act like that. It's kinda funny sometimes because it's like shes trying to show off her butt. lol

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The 45 or 90 degree lifting of the abdomen can also indicate stress or defensive behavior. Late at night, after the lights have been out for a while, go look at the glass near and blow the substrate. If you see MANY mites, that might be an irritant. It is only a guess, but I tend to agree that this species acts oddly.

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The 45 or 90 degree lifting of the abdomen can also indicate stress or defensive behavior. Late at night, after the lights have been out for a while, go look at the glass near and blow the substrate. If you see MANY mites, that might be an irritant. It is only a guess, but I tend to agree that this species acts oddly.
Generally the behaviour you can come to expect goes a little something like this:

No activity - 4 hours later he/she moves a leg - No activity - Might change position.

Next day - No activity although the pose has changed - 8 hrs later a shuffle and position change - night time she may go to her drinking bowl as I observed last night at about 2am and then ate a couple of crix and roaches I tossed in.

Rinse and repeat with a few deviations and thats the lifestyle of a Rose hair, and then a molt every say 2-3 years, yep thats it.

They don't call these pet rocks for no reason, my big female is a 7" statue.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had a pet rock female G. rosea which did pretty much exactly what you shared for 15 years. I have others now, which do... yup, pretty much the same. But I do have one which bangs it's water dish against the enclosure wall, and never holds still. Same species, and been with me for at least 6 years. With everything being the same, it's strange to watch 5 others doing nothing while that one is cruising. Personally I think it's conspiring against the hairless beach ape who feeds them.

As for the OP, I wonder if they've noticed anything yet?

Crispy9168

Arachnopeon
I have said this before... T's do a lot of strange things, like not moving for long periods of time.

It's not a cat or dog.. lol
Any exotic pet is strange, really. I used to have a leopard gecko who slept 23 hours a day. It's only when you learn to expect wierd things that you can truly appreciate the animal.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Any exotic pet is strange, really. I used to have a leopard gecko who slept 23 hours a day. It's only when you learn to expect wierd things that you can truly appreciate the animal.
who woulda thunk it right? {D

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Generally the behaviour you can come to expect goes a little something like this:

No activity - 4 hours later he/she moves a leg - No activity - Might change position.

Next day - No activity although the pose has changed - 8 hrs later a shuffle and position change - night time she may go to her drinking bowl as I observed last night at about 2am and then ate a couple of crix and roaches I tossed in.

Rinse and repeat with a few deviations and thats the lifestyle of a Rose hair, and then a molt every say 2-3 years, yep thats it.

They don't call these pet rocks for no reason, my big female is a 7" statue.
7"!?! i thought they only grew to abut 5.5! are they like reptile and keep grwoing with each molt? i thought that they either stopped, or it just slowed way down..

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
7"!?! i thought they only grew to abut 5.5! are they like reptile and keep grwoing with each molt? i thought that they either stopped, or it just slowed way down..
I'm not sure, shes way over 6 from the last molt, but her body is confirmed at 82mm.

Largest Rosea I have seen, i'll get you a pic.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

---------- Post added at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 AM ----------

A cd measures 4.3/4" so that should give you some idea of her size.

Last edited:

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
I'm not sure, shes way over 6 from the last molt, but her body is confirmed at 82mm.

Largest Rosea I have seen, i'll get you a pic.

A cd measures 4.3/4" so that should give you some idea of her size.
Certainly a big girl, but based on the picture, I'd have a hard time calling her 7". I know there are a couple ways to measure Ts, but I think you'd have to stretch her to the limit to get close to 7". I measure all mine with a "comfortable" standing DLS which would make yours just over 6" (though I'll admit that's only a guess based on a picture which can be very inaccurate).

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Certainly a big girl, but based on the picture, I'd have a hard time calling her 7". I know there are a couple ways to measure Ts, but I think you'd have to stretch her to the limit to get close to 7". I measure all mine with a "comfortable" standing DLS which would make yours just over 6" (though I'll admit that's only a guess based on a picture which can be very inaccurate).
Hm, well only a molt will tell.. then I will be able to confirm it.

Over 6" by a long shot though, she was 6.2-.3" last molt and visibly grew.

The second picture gives you a better idea than the first.. I have fairly large chunky hands (8"), so best not to go by those for a reference lol.

The cd measures just under 5" and if you see the back legs curled up are on par with the base of the cd but not fully extended, the front leg is a good inche and a bit ahead of the cd and again not fully extended.
You may be right however, she might not be 7" dead on, hard to get measurments when terrestrials don't like stretching out (we don't have this problem with arb's though haha) I'm positive she is over 6.5", but a true 7" measurement would be nice.

The body length is accuratly measured at 82mm dead on (measured with a ruler right next to her and on top of her multiple times to make sure) if this helps anyone reference her size, i'm not sure what the average 5.5" er would be.

Last edited:

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Oh, and please don't interpret my posting as negative in any way - - she's definitely an impressive sized girl :worship: I think it's more that I may tend to undersize my Ts when I measure them.