G rosea question

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My G rosea that I got about 3 weeks ago has just started webbing the ground in her tank. (I am unsure of the sex but will call it a she for wishful thinking) I don't think shes mature yet as she is only about 3-3 1/2 inches. The webbing started last night almost immediately after I put some crickets in her tank. I'm taking it this is normal but my question is I have heard of rosies making 'food mats???' and also webbing up the tank before a molt but as of right now its only the substrate so I don't know....

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My G rosea that I got about 3 weeks ago has just started webbing the ground in her tank. (I am unsure of the sex but will call it a she for wishful thinking) I don't think shes mature yet as she is only about 3-3 1/2 inches. The webbing started last night almost immediately after I put some crickets in her tank. I'm taking it this is normal but my question is I have heard of rosies making 'food mats???' and also webbing up the tank before a molt but as of right now its only the substrate so I don't know....
after she finished making the mats did she eat the crickets or kill the crickets and put them on the mat?

when was her last molt and how big is her abdomen...do you have pictures you can show us?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Everything is just fine. Ts and mostly the ground lovers will make a kill and then dance around and make a feeding mat. It anchors the food to the ground so if they have to leave for something else they can find it, or if its a big prey item they can eat take a break and come back for more.

If its eating its not a pending molt, Rosies will typically ignore food for a period of undetermined time and then molt, not eat then molt in the same evening, or same week for that matter.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Everything is just fine. Ts and mostly the ground lovers will make a kill and then dance around and make a feeding mat. It anchors the food to the ground so if they have to leave for something else they can find it, or if its a big prey item they can eat take a break and come back for more.

If its eating its not a pending molt, Rosies will typically ignore food for a period of undetermined time and then molt, not eat then molt in the same evening, or same week for that matter.

Talken check your pm lol...(sorry for the hijacking)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The web you're probably talking about is a feeding mat. THey web up the ground to keep their "home", which would be a burrow in the wild, clean. Don't worry about it, it's fine. You'll be able to tell the difference between a molting and a feeding mat, trust me. If you ever find her on her back, don't mess with her.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

lol or eat and molt that day or not molt in your lifetime or not eat just to tick you off lol

Pink_tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
lol navak my g. rosea does that exept she kills like 5 crikets hen wrapps them up and ats them one at a time

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sorry I don't have a camera, my gf does but shes not here right now. but anyways she made the web after she ate one cricket and later that night I saw her eating another one that had some web on it so I'm guessing its that food mat you were talkin about. :)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
lol navak my g. rosea does that exept she kills like 5 crikets hen wrapps them up and ats them one at a time
See, Ts are smarter then we think lol. They don't need to stuff up all at once, they can save it for later.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i sure don't she eats them all and loves it :)
Fatty G.rosea huh? One of mine will eat everything I put in her cage and another will eat only one, leaving the majority of the cricket behind, yet her abdomen is completely fine. Wierd huh?

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hey, woah, guys. depending on how big they are (3 - 3 1/2 in, in this case), they don't need to eat that much. mine is same size, and she gets 1 good sized cric every week, to week and a half. 5 at one feeding is insane! you could hurt them. :eek:

Last edited:

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well my gf came through for me i got some pics these are from yesterday so the webbing is a lot more covering than this but u get the idea also ill include a pic of the burrow she dug as an added bonus :)

and the burrow...

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yup all normal there, that burrow is awesome though. Nice picture. The webbing where the T was standing was just a food mat, and I'm pretty sure some trip wires incase anything walked by. The one lining the burrow is just to keep it clean and hold the burrow up.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow. that's a pretty big burrow. are all of them supposed to so that? cuz i have a terrestrial setup on mine...

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They will burrow when given the right setup and chance to. But a terrestrial setup is just fine for them. You may find that with that setup she might dig around like a little dozer, its just they way they are sometimes. Give them a hide and they might use it they might not. It all depends on the T you get.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
wow. that's a pretty big burrow. are all of them supposed to so that? cuz i have a terrestrial setup on mine...
If you give G.rosea room to burrow it more then likely will because they do burrow in their native habitat, but they can be housed in terrestrial setups with a hide just fine.