G. rosea not using hide

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
My chilean rose had a half log inside her enclosure and she never once went under it, sometimes she stayed on top of it but she prefers to lay on the substrate. A week ago i purchased a Mastigoproctus giganteus ( whip scorpion ) and i gave him the half log my T had, and she looks even more comfortable now with the extra space. My question is, should I provide a different type of hide? If so, what would you reccomend to use as a hide?

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Give it a deep substrate that can support tunnels and it will make its own hide.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Grammostola rosea/porteri rarely if ever use a hide (generally). Pretty mcuh pet rocks. I've never seen one with a burrow in captivity before, even with enough substrate to make one.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
As BobBarley said, they aren't big into using hides. The slings tend to do some burrowing/remodeling, but once they get close to adulthood they seem plenty content to just sit out and relax.

Realevil1

Arachnosquire
Try burying a round piece of pcv (equal to 1" more than the leg span) tube in the substrate with 1 end sticking out. This may entice the t the make a burrow under it.
@Robert123456

woodermeloon

Arachnopeon
I have found that many of my terrestrials seem to ditch the hide when they reach adulthood. I have two porteri and neither one uses their hides. With a large porteri I would say you could skip a proper hide and just put some plants, rocks, wood, etc so the animal doesn't feel exposed.

Edit. Venom is right, even my spiders which never hide have access to one. I have a L.kulgi which is always out but every few months will utilize it's hide to molt.

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I have found that many of my terrestrials seem to ditch the hide when they reach adulthood. I have two porteri and neither one uses their hides. With a large porteri I would say you could skip a proper hide and just put some plants, rocks, wood, etc so the animal doesn't feel exposed.
a proper hide should always be provided. even if the spiders rarely uses it.

TarantulaTonic

Arachnopeon
ive had my g rosea for about two years now and she loves her half log and ive never seen her burrow, so i think it just depends on the personality of the spider.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My "grandma" porteri has a piece of slanted corkbark for a hide. Over the years she has dug out under it some and customized it a bit. She only actually goes under it a couple times a year, preferring to sit out in the open.
The approximate 5 year old has a coconut shell hide that she molted in once at about 2 inches. Mostly she sits on top of it.
Captive rosea/porteri seem to not use hides too much. Still nice to provide one and give them the option.