G. Rosea Molt Question.

kushy04

Arachnopeon
This is my first T:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8HH9nmU4W5jnQXqFpCxWUg?feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ZZEDVoCpp4SyRRBypla9KQ?feat=directlink

She (I think anyways) is beginning to dull in color and I think will be her first molt in my posession. You can see in the picture that I am using aspen shavings. I want to switch to coco fibres, but should I wait until after the molt or before?

Also, the humidity in her enclosure consistently can be found to be around 25 to 35% humidity. Is this humidity level too low for G. Rosea?

losct2381

Arachnosquire
i would change it now. those shavings can hurt it after a molt if they are sharp as the t in question looks. i think u got about a week or 2 before it goes into full molt. also the stress of the enclosure change might throw her into molt.I had a rosea do that i changes her substrate because of some mites i seen in the tank and me not wanting her to get mite right after a molt. i changed the substrate. the next morning i awoke to find her on her back in full all out molt.
plus i'm not too sure for those shavings u have but i know some shavings contain a natural pestiside. so hurry and change it before the molt.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

oh as for the humidty rosea likes it real warm and dry just make sure it has a water bowl

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your T does not "look" like it is in premolt. I say "look" because that spot on it's abdomen still seems to be normal color. When in premolt, that tannish skin under the hair will start to turn black slowly and get darker and darker as it approaches the molt.

When was the last time it ate?

Ts will also refuse food in premolt and become sluggish. If it is eating it isn't in premolt. Premolt can last weeks to months. Whenever that spot is black and shiny, the molt is close at hand. So go ahead and change over to coconut fiber and whatever size aquarium you have, fill the substrate at LEAST halfway up.

Good luck.

losct2381

Arachnosquire
oh as for the humidty rosea likes it real warm and dry just make sure it has a water bowl

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

i have had my rosea molt looking the exact same way
about 2 weeks after looking like that

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There's no way to tell from those pics if your T is likely to molt anytime soon. There doesn't appear to be a bald spot so you can't check for any darkening. The lighter area appears to be light shinning off the mirror-patch. As Chris said, a loss of appetite will occur long before any darkening (of course, even then, it could be just a random fast).

I'd go ahead and change it.

Bjamin

Arachnosquire
I would change the substrait right away as oters have said, as for looking like she is going to molt you just can't say mine has looked like that for almost 5 months no molt.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It will most likely molt come spring time, so you should be fine to change out the substrate now. They can sense the seasons and become acclimatized to them. Ours has molted every spring that we have had her.

I don't think the shavings will cause serious problems, but they aren't a suitable substrate at all. G. rosea can and will burrow if given enough substrate, so get it some coco fiber, peat moss, or potting soil(no ferts) and fill up the enclosure with one/ a mix of those.