G. rosea--Male or Female?

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm trying to figure out my Rosehair's sex but I don't have a digital camera--just my webcam. Can you guys help despite the blurriness? Guesses are welcome but please explain them because I'm just learning and need all the help I can get.

kellygirl

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by kellygirl
last one
Hi Kell,
That's a tough one, but I think I can see some sclerotization on the epigastric opening there, meaning it's probably a she. When you look at the opening from side on, does it look a bit humped?

Steve

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Steve Nunn
Hi Kell,
That's a tough one, but I think I can see some sclerotization on the epigastric opening there, meaning it's probably a she. When you look at the opening from side on, does it look a bit humped?

Steve
You have quite a vision there. I couldn't make out anything at all.

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
kellygirl........can you adjust the lense/focus on your webcam......i found that i can twist the lense by hand on my webcam and it will come into focus......

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Females have humped abdomens?

My curly has a lump looking thing sticking out on her abdomen. Not dangerous looking though.. natural of course.

ceaser68

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
without focus it really hard to tell !! try a better picture !

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not able to get another picture right now, but I'll get back to you guys. Thanks!

kellygirl

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Raveness
Females have humped abdomens?
LOL, I'd better explain. If you were to look at a tarantula from the side (laterally) and you looked at the area where the epigastric furrow is (the slit between the anterior[front] pair of booklungs), if you can see a bulge, then the chances are pretty good it's a female. Of course this will only show up once the spider is nearing it's adult life, maybe three quarters it's mature size.

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah... That is what I mean... blahh.. My curly has that..

Thanks for a better explanation :)

Originally posted by Steve Nunn
LOL, I'd better explain. If you were to look at a tarantula from the side (laterally) and you looked at the area where the epigastric furrow is (the slit between the anterior[front] booklungs), if you can see a bulge, then the chances are pretty good it's a female. Of course this will only show up once the spider is nearing it's adult life, maybe three quarters it's mature size.

Cheers,
Steve