G. rosea kicked hairs for the first time

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
I have a chilean rose tarantula and she has never kicked hairs before, I handle her sometimes but not too much, so my question is, is she gonna start kicking hairs more often now that she did it once? I was trying to get 2 crickets out of her cage and she got agitated and kicked the hairs, i quickly closed the cage so i wouldnt get them on me, the kicking lasted for about 1-2 seconds and she only used one leg. Any help is appreciated

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
When you handle your Grammostola rosea, Your specimen viewied you as a potential predator, Kicking hairs is her first line of defense before a potential bite. I would recommend you don't handle a T as they're wild animals and hence they're behavior.. The best way to appreciate them is at a distance like you would a fish, That way you and the T are safe from potential injury.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
um, whats the question? they can flick hairs, even if they dont do it often. also, i advise that you dont handle tarantulas.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
If you irritate her more after she kicks hairs, yes, she will kick more. But she could also decide she's had enough of it, and lash out.

Offtopic
'she only used one leg'
I chuckled at this...picture a T kicking with both legs at the same time...:D

AHMR

Arachnosquire
Just because she did it once doesn't mean she will all the time.
My g.porteri is a temperamental gal and she kicks. Not always tho. Just when she's had enough of me up all in her business lol(like if I'm in her cage near her to long cleaning or changing her water etc) Or if I startle her it's instant hair kicking.
You get good at dodging them with practice lol
I recommend getting long feeding tongs and using those to fish out crickets. Keeps your skin/hands safe from hairs flying and I find it agitates my girl less with something smaller fishing around in her tank.
I also don't recommend handling your T. Respect their space and leave em be.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My LP was great until about 5" now she kicks hair at everything. Sometimes their mood changes and stays that way.

Something else to consider: she could be premolt. Many of mine will get very flicky near molt.

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
My g.porteri is a temperamental gal and she kicks. Not always tho. Just when she's had enough of me up all in her business lol(like if I'm in her cage near her to long cleaning or changing her water etc) Or if I startle her it's instant hair kicking.
I recommend getting long feeding tongs and using those to fish out crickets. Keeps your skin/hands safe from hairs flying and I find it agitates my girl less with something smaller fishing around in her tank.
I was using long feeding tongs but i think i grazed one of her legs, she ran to a corner and started kicking, and i think im gonna stop m

AHMR

Arachnosquire
I was using long feeding tongs but i think i grazed one of her legs, she ran to a corner and started kicking, and i think im gonna stop m
You probably startled her and she reacted in instinct to defend herself.
My girl HATES her legs touched. If I dare touch her legs,she kicks. Every time. Same if I startle her,it's instant hair flying.

Robert123456

Arachnosquire
You probably startled her and she reacted in instinct to defend herself.
My girl HATES her legs touched. If I dare touch her legs,she kicks. Every time. Same if I startle her,it's instant hair flying.
Well, now i know to be more careful xD better stay away from those legs, good thing is she doesnt have a bald spot on her abdomen, she still looks as she did before

AHMR

Arachnosquire
Well, now i know to be more careful xD better stay away from those legs, good thing is she doesnt have a bald spot on her abdomen, she still looks as she did before
Bald spots are from excessive kicking. Basically they kick themselves bald lol(which fixes itself in a molt tho). My girl kicks often(like I said she's temperamental lol) and she doesn't have a bald spot either. But I try my best to NOT piss her off and I don't go in her tank unless I have to.lol