G. rosea is being a bitch

Octa

Arachnosquire
The title says it all
I have a 4' G.rosea female thats being rather bitchy than docile.
I got her 2 weeks ago and she still doesnt seem to enjoy her enclosure (just clinging onto the glass wall most of the time).
She is well fed after I got her, put dry substrate and a few hiding spots which she completely ignores.

Whenever I open her cage to change the water, she goes nuts and attacks the forceps (yeah i have to use that now to grab her water dish...).
Her behavior is freaking me out a little and dunno what the cause may be.

Any suggestions ???

Blaze

Arachnopeon
read the rules on cursing, i dont want you getting an infraction.
well although a rosie is a great beginner T, they do have personalities, and by the sound of it, you have that 1/1000 mean rosies. respect her, shes still gorgeous

Mammothdog

Arachnopeon
Take a snapshot of your enclosure so we can get a detailed view of the situation. Something may be irritating her like constant vibrations near her enclosure or bright lights.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
Sounds like normal G. rosea behaviour.. unpredictable.

-Sean
seconded some days Betty and Marilyn (my two adult rosies) are exactly like than then others their fine just be careful and it sounds like your providing her a good home. also you've had her 2 weeks sometimes they are a little more prone to aggravation when they don't know their new house that well that is if she isn't in the original container you bought her in.

Upjohn252

Arachnopeon
The title says it all
I got her 2 weeks ago and she still doesnt seem to enjoy her enclosure (just clinging onto the glass wall most of the time).
She is well fed after I got her, put dry substrate and a few hiding spots which she completely ignores.

Whenever I open her cage to change the water, she goes nuts and attacks the forceps (yeah i have to use that now to grab her water dish...).

Any suggestions ???
Its a hybrid Mom was a rosea, Dad was an OBT {D

Octa

Arachnosquire
Notice the cave entrance at the end View attachment 89474

She has plenty of room and has her peace and quite. No lights or anything can irritate her unless I have to open her cage to change the water..which ill have to do now.
Wish me luck

Last edited:

burmish101

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
There looks to be some bark or some sort in the substrate, if im not mistaken some types of bark can be VERY irritating to t's. Check what type of bark is there and look it up if its one of the bad types.

Kendage

Arachnopeon
+1 for bark

I don't think that bark is suitable for a T as it says it's for reptiles, which have a different skin.. More protection. I'd say that's more hazardous to a molting T, or a fall.

The bottom of the substrate looks a little damp, is that the lighting or is it actually wet substrate under dry substrate?

EDIT: I read a few of the reviews for the Repti bark and it seems like bugs/mites are common in them aswel, just something to watch out for. If you want bark, I suggest cork bark, it's cheap and effective, and my Ts love it :)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It can take weeks, even months for a tarantula to fully acclimatize to a new enclosure, so the fact that yours is acting this way, to me means that it is still settling in. When you are opening up the enclosure to do the water change, watch how much air pressure/ dispersal happens. If you can reduce it, I would. This can sometimes cause some feistyness and defensiveness. I also wouldn't use the repti bark myself. There are more appropriate things for your T.

Last edited:

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
While most G. rosea are docile, there are examples of a few which never are, nor ever will be. I have 6 or 7 right now, and one is always more liable to slap my hand than the others. We can not attribute human characters to tarantulas, but in passing we could say they have different "personalities". So if time passes and you see no other signs of stress, and it still acts the same, then you just happen to have one which is not the "normal" with slightly higher defensiveness.

opiomylo

Arachnopeon
mine G.rosea acted just like yours when i change his bedding to cocofiber.but when i change back to his old bedding that is peat moss, his seen calm and docile again..

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Change the bedding to cocofiber or peat and she should calm down a little but other than that Rosies are moody and sometimes are out right nasty so get used to mood swings and threat postures they are nothing new with a rosie

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The title says it all

Any suggestions ???
A 4 foot Rosea? why have I not heard about this, I thought mine was big as well! :?

Sorry to be a grammar snob, but I have made this error in the past and people jumped at the chance to correct me lol.
Use " when indicating inches otherwise you could mislead.

G.Rosea are not all docile, though the majority are... temperments are down to the individual and not the species.

It sounds like something the enclosure is bother him/her are you sure there is no dampness?

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
Having the problem with my female chaco...added a huge potho in her enclosure and she has been on the walls for two days now. It pisses me off you know I go out and spend my spending money because her tank looked boring and bare and now she doesnt like it go figure. Maybe she just needs some time because I'm not taking it out just yet.

jgod790

Arachnoknight
Well first, it may just be because its a new environment, and it is stressed out, cause it is unfamiliar with the new place. Second, it may be the substrate, though I highly doubt it. Regardless, it would be in your best interest to change the substrate. Third, which is what I personally think it is, you might have, what some people call, a "psycho rosie" Which is basically a G rosea with an identity crisis. It thinks it is an old world species of some kind. G rosea are typically the most docile, but 1/1000 (random statistic but you get the idea) ARE EXTREMELY DEFENSIVE!!!!! And regardless how perfect there environment is, they will always be very nasty. Personally, I would treasure your tarantula, cause a psycho rosie is very rare.

Octa

Arachnosquire
A 4 foot Rosea? why have I not heard about this, I thought mine was big as well! :?

Sorry to be a grammar snob, but I have made this error in the past and people jumped at the chance to correct me lol.
Use " when indicating inches otherwise you could mislead.

G.Rosea are not all docile, though the majority are... temperments are down to the individual and not the species.

It sounds like something the enclosure is bother him/her are you sure there is no dampness?

I'll keep that in mind :p .
I changed the substrate to potting soil and added a few pieces of bark in a corner.
The cave entrance is also bigger, but she keeps climbing on the walls :(.
And there is no dampness at all.