G. Rosea hiding

CrtcllyAcclmd

Arachnopeon
I just got my first T, a G. Rosea, about a month ago. She was pre-owned and is six years old. The previous owner says she usually lazed about in the open but for the past couple weeks she has completely barricaded herself inside a hollow log, blocking the entrance with substrate.
Could this new behaviour be related to something in her habitat (ie substrate moisture, humidity, temp, etc.) or just a normal change of character?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How big is the spider?
How do you have it setup?

Sounds like it is about to molt. Leave it alone and let it do it's things.

Welcome aboard.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If the T hasn't been eating since you took it on, I agree it may be about to molt. If it's still in the tank it's always been in and isn't fasting, it could just be having a random rosea sulk.

CrtcllyAcclmd

Arachnopeon
How big is the spider?
How do you have it setup?
Welcome aboard.
For decor I have a hollow log and a water dish. The sunstrate is peat moss and rather dry, but I hear it's a bad idea to mist it.
Also, I don't know how much room a tarantula needs to molt but it's very cramped in that log.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For decor I have a hollow log and a water dish. The sunstrate is peat moss and rather dry, but I hear it's a bad idea to mist it.
Also, I don't know how much room a tarantula needs to molt but it's very cramped in that log.
So how big is it?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Leg span of about 6 inches I'd say.
Has it been refusing food?

Also, since your wondering about how much room it will need. Your spider knows how much room it needs. It knows what it's doing, been doing it for years. Your new to this, not the spider ;) Enjoy it.

CrtcllyAcclmd

Arachnopeon
Has it been refusing food?

Also, since your wondering about how much room it will need. Your spider knows how much room it needs. It knows what it's doing, been doing it for years. Your new to this, not the spider ;) Enjoy it.
She hasn't eaten since I got her a month ago, but I assumed it was because of the change of enviroment. If she could be molting I'll stop offering food.

losct2381

Arachnosquire
No u should offer food one every week or two till ur sure she molted the wait two weeks after the molt to allow her to harden

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
No u should offer food one every week or two till ur sure she molted the wait two weeks after the molt to allow her to harden
No, you should either wait until she re-emerges to feed (assuming it didn't molt) or feed two weeks after it molts. The last thing you need is a loose prey item in there when/if the spider molts.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, you should either wait until she re-emerges to feed (assuming it didn't molt) or feed two weeks after it molts. The last thing you need is a loose prey item in there when/if the spider molts.
+1. Don't want a cricket in there nibbling on a freshly molted spider.