G. Rosea having mood swings?

Flutterbat

Arachnopeon
I've really not heard much about this and I have not found any posts about this so I will post it here. My G. Rosea Peanut is literally the sweetest little thing ever. Never gotten defensive with me or anything. Well, yesterday I went to change her water bowl and as soon as I reached in towards it, she sort of darted (if you could call it that, she is slow) towards the bowl and got back into her defensive position. When I go to put it back, she is back to her sweet old self, even climbing up onto my hand as I was reaching in. Then this morning, she was being, well, cranky. I went to give her a cricket and she got back into her defensive position as soon as the lid was opened.. Is it normal for her to change back and forth so quickly?

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Yes they can be moody at any moment. It could also mean they are in premolt.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's a Grammostola and a rosea on top of that. The whole genus is moody in my experience. Same with pulchripes, my girl threatens me on occasion just because I open the enclosure to refill her waterdish - it's normal. Nothing you can do about it either, it makes them special in their own way.

Besides - don't reach into a cage with bare hands unless you're completely confident and taking a bite in the worst case - and not fling the T to its death if that occurs. Use tongs, that's what they're there for.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
Besides - don't reach into a cage with bare hands unless you're completely confident and taking a bite in the worst case - and not fling the T to its death if that occurs. Use tongs, that's what they're there for.
Solid advice that all T keepers should abide by .

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've really not heard much about this and I have not found any posts about this so I will post it here. My G. Rosea Peanut is literally the sweetest little thing ever. Never gotten defensive with me or anything. Well, yesterday I went to change her water bowl and as soon as I reached in towards it, she sort of darted (if you could call it that, she is slow) towards the bowl and got back into her defensive position. When I go to put it back, she is back to her sweet old self, even climbing up onto my hand as I was reaching in. Then this morning, she was being, well, cranky. I went to give her a cricket and she got back into her defensive position as soon as the lid was opened.. Is it normal for her to change back and forth so quickly?
There is lots of posts about it.

Never??? You've only had it for a couple of weeks.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have not found any posts about this so I will post it here.
How did you search, where did you search, what search terms did you use?

Have you ever heard of Google? It's an internet search engine perfect for finding the answer to A LOT of questions, even about Tarantulas. Notice I used your thread's exact words, including the spelling/grammar.

I obtained an answer in 0.68 seconds, faster than you received a response! Amazing I know!

Also, did you try the search engine of the forum? Albeit not the best, but I found the answer to your question with 2 different sets of search terms, both including mood. It doesn't take a diploma of any type to use a search engine, just time, and in this case only 0.68 seconds of waiting. ;)

p1.JPG

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I did mention that in my message to you - it was actually the #1 thing that I responded with in our message. Did you read my response to your PM? Because I did make quite an effort to cover off a number of issues.
They are notorious for their mood swings. I wouldn't be handling her, or having my hand in her enclosure at all, if I were you. Get yourself a long pair of tongs for any/all maintenance.
Here is my response to your message asking questions.
"1. Although that species is probably the number one beginners species ever... they are not the best species to start off with. They can have terrible mood swings, especially after moulting, and some people will tell you that their G. rosea (or G. porteri) is the most defensive spider in their collection. I am lucky that the two females that I have had have been fairly tolerant, but you have about a 50% chance that it turns out to be very intolerant. They can be a handful if they turn out to be a bit of a demon."

Last edited:

Flutterbat

Arachnopeon
I did mention that in my message to you - it was actually the #1 thing that I responded with in our message. Did you read my response to your email? Because I did make quite an effort to cover off a number of issues.
They are notorious for their mood swings. I wouldn't be handling her, or having my hand in her enclosure at all, if I were you. Get yourself a long pair of tongs for any/all maintenance.
Here is my response to your message asking questions.
"1. Although that species is probably the number one beginners species ever... they are not the best species to start off with. They can have terrible mood swings, especially after moulting, and some people will tell you that their G. rosea (or G. porteri) is the most defensive spider in their collection. I am lucky that the two females that I have had have been fairly tolerant, but you have about a 50% chance that it turns out to be very intolerant. They can be a handful if they turn out to be a bit of a demon."

Oops! Sorry. I didn't even see the notification. It still shows my icon on the convo like I was the last one to reply on it. Sorry about that. I dunno why it does that sometimes. But yeah I really do need to get tongs. It really just surprised me that she ran at me the way she did.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I put a lot of effort into that message and I would have thought that you would have checked on it. I'm disappointed that it appears as if I wasted my time.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
A set of (minimum) 10" forceps is item #1 in this hobby o_O I'd argue that they're almost more important than a water dish. I'd never stick my hand in any enclosure, not even my most docile species.