G rosea filled in hide

bklyncg

Arachnopeon
Hey all, my g has a half bark hide which she spends/spent most of her time in. A few months back she filled the entire thing with substrate and can't/won't go in it. I figured it's her house and I'll let it be, however she is now in pre-molt and I believe I read somewhere that they should have a hide during this process. Should I dig it out so she can get in there or leave things the way they are? Thanks for any help.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
If she filled it in she is fine. If she needs to hide she will dig it out. She's is probably just comfortable in her enclosure and would rather stay out. Older rosea are known for this behavior.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Hey all, my g has a half bark hide which she spends/spent most of her time in. A few months back she filled the entire thing with substrate and can't/won't go in it. I figured it's her house and I'll let it be, however she is now in pre-molt and I believe I read somewhere that they should have a hide during this process. Should I dig it out so she can get in there or leave things the way they are? Thanks for any help.
I had this happen to me as well:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/prime-example-of-ts-doing-what-they-want.275262/

I did end up having to rehouse, because she never fixed what she did. She basically made her enclosure unusable. I wouldn't rehouse right now due to premolt, but I would do it a few weeks after she molts.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I had this happen to me as well:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/prime-example-of-ts-doing-what-they-want.275262/

I did end up having to rehouse, because she never fixed what she did. She basically made her enclosure unusable. I wouldn't rehouse right now due to premolt, but I would do it a few weeks after she molts.
One of mine, a penultimate male b vagans has a half log hide that he has made alternate exits for also. The main log is full with rolled up feeding mats

JumpingSpiderLady

Arachnobaron
Our G. Pulchripes had a coconut half for his first hide, he blocked off the entrance and dug a tunnel that went underneath it instead.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Leave it be. Tarantulas know what they are doing. If she needs to, she will dig in with ease and use it when feels its necessary.

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
This might be along the same lines as when they fill up the water bowl with substrate . They may not want the hide but instinct may dictate that another T may come along and take it . Just as an open water source too close may bring in predators , an unused hide could bring an unwanted foe that could be dangerous . Lots of animals will readily take to a free burrow and many of them may have tarantulas on the menu . Keep in mind that this is just a theory but instincts are all directed towards survival or procreation , not to oversimplify the wonder of nature .

Estein

Arachnoknight
This might be along the same lines as when they fill up the water bowl with substrate . They may not want the hide but instinct may dictate that another T may come along and take it . Just as an open water source too close may bring in predators , an unused hide could bring an unwanted foe that could be dangerous .
I never considered this--is this a generally accepted hypothesis? If you have more info to direct me to I'd love to check it out!

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
I never considered this--is this a generally accepted hypothesis? If you have more info to direct me to I'd love to check it out!
Not in any way , shape or form . That's just something I cooked up one day while cleaning out my Albo's dirty water bowl for the hundredth time . I wondered what would drive her to fill her water bowl . Why would she see that as something she needed to do ? Is she instinctively filling the water bowl for a reason ? Then I brainstormed for awhile and listed the possible reasons for this behavior . This is just a theory and I have absolutely no scientific evidence to back this up .

Estein

Arachnoknight
Not in any way , shape or form . That's just something I cooked up one day while cleaning out my Albo's dirty water bowl for the hundredth time . I wondered what would drive her to fill her water bowl . Why would she see that as something she needed to do ? Is she instinctively filling the water bowl for a reason ? Then I brainstormed for awhile and listed the possible reasons for this behavior . This is just a theory and I have absolutely no scientific evidence to back this up .
That's interesting, and I think a neat starting place trying to understand why this happens. I'd be curious to know under what conditions others have seen Ts fill in their water dishes. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
A possible test could be to take a group adult Albos along with the female that I already own and put them all in identical enclosures . Then experiment with placing the water bowls in various locations around the enclosures to see what are the results . It may prove absolutely nothing but it would and interesting thing to try .

Estein

Arachnoknight
A possible test could be to take a group adult Albos along with the female that I already own and put them all in identical enclosures . Then experiment with placing the water bowls in various locations around the enclosures to see what are the results . It may prove absolutely nothing but it would and interesting thing to try .
I would love to see someone do that. It seems to me that some of these large collections would be great for small scale studies. I constantly wish there was more research applicable to the hobby, and I hope to eventually build up my collection (I'm getting my third next week, so I'm only just beginning ;)) enough to contribute.

bklyncg

Arachnopeon
My T also fills in her water dish all the time. I just clear it out every now and then and it seems fine.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I have 5 G.pulchripes slings and I've placed them in different spots when they were being setup. I also moved them as burrows/ hides were made and they all get filled. I doubt placement will affect when/how often they get buried. Some fill them in a lot others not as often. It's just Ts being Ts.