G. rosea feeding

Ondottr

Arachnopeon
Last few feedings it's been doing this strange cute thing where it eagerly pounces on a cricket, eats half, puts the rest down, and webs it up a bit as if it's saving it for later. But then it immediately turns around, picks it up, and eats the rest.
Just curious if anyone else gets this from their Ts. Why do they do this?
(It's a juvenile about 3.5 inches. I drop in a cricket a week, sometimes 2 if they're tiny. Should be about right, but when it doesn't eat the whole thing right away I wonder if I can cut it back a bit.)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Completely normal. They're laying down a web mat, essentially making a cricket burrito. This ensures that they get as much out of the meal as possible. On top of that, it keeps pests like ants from finding the meal (and the tarantula!). By the end, the prey ends up in a bolus which can then be easily discarded.

Surely you've seen the "happy dance" after they take down food? That's them laying down webbing.

Ondottr

Arachnopeon
Completely normal. They're laying down a web mat, essentially making a cricket burrito. This ensures that they get as much out of the meal as possible. On top of that, it keeps pests like ants from finding the meal (and the tarantula!). By the end, the prey ends up in a bolus which can then be easily discarded.

Surely you've seen the "happy dance" after they take down food? That's them laying down webbing.
Ah, that's interesting! Thanks!
It's fun to watch. I'm like, "oh, okay, you're done. I'll take that bit out later- ah, wait, you actually want that? Okay then."
Love that little 'dance'! Super cute.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I love the standing tall while eating as well as the happy circle dance. :hungry:

"Yes dear, enjoy your feast -- that roach was especially chosen for you!"
All I did was drop in a feeder yet somehow I feel like a queen rewarding her subjects or something for all of 5 seconds.
(Okay, I know we're really just T servants -- cook and maid most of the time). :smug:

Ondottr

Arachnopeon
I love the standing tall while eating as well as the happy circle dance. :hungry:

"Yes dear, enjoy your feast -- that roach was especially chosen for you!"
All I did was drop in a feeder yet somehow I feel like a queen rewarding her subjects or something for all of 5 seconds.
(Okay, I know we're really just T servants -- cook and maid most of the time). :smug:
Haha totally!
Keeping the feeders alive is more work than the T - they at least get a fresh slice of carrot every day. Feels more like I have a jar of annoying pet crickets. But when the T greedily devours them it's like yessss my work has paid off! Enjoy that, little buddy - I've been slaving away and losing sleep from their chirping just for you!

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I have just enough Ts I can easily feed them all in one setting. "And one for you, and one for you, and one for you...."

I admit, I select the feeders by size, and offer quantities per who just moulted, smaller sizes for ones getting chubby, etc..
I find I am enjoying breeding my feeders (B lats, mealies) -- almost a separate hobby within a hobby. :)

Last edited:

Ondottr

Arachnopeon
I have just enough Ts I can easily feed them all in one setting. "And one for you, and one for you, and one for you...."

I admit, I select the feeders by size, and offer quantities per who just moulted, smaller sizes for ones getting chubby, etc..
I find I am enjoying breeding my feeders (B lats, mealies) -- almost a separate hobby within a hobby. :)
Haha I have thought that getting more Ts would make feeding easier! Maybe something that can eat a few a week. With this fellow eating so little, most of them die before they can become food and it's annoying. I might try roaches next time; heard they live longer. But the closest pet store only sells them in packs of 20, so probably most of them still won't make it.
But if I had 10 or so tarantulas... no problem! :smug:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I might try roaches next time; heard they live longer. But the closest pet store only sells them in packs of 20, so probably most of them still won't make it.
Well, they should make it if you set them up a good home and feed them regularly -- and then they can breed and voila! Free T food.
But it is an obligation and some folks prefer not to be bothered breeding feeders. I no longer breed crickets -- they smell too bad for me. :(
Nothing wrong with just purchasing feeders as needed and never breeding them. But for me, the feeder colonies ended up becoming a sub-hobby.

Ondottr

Arachnopeon
Well, they should make it if you set them up a good home and feed them regularly -- and then they can breed and voila! Free T food.
But it is an obligation and some folks prefer not to be bothered breeding feeders. I no longer breed crickets -- they smell too bad for me. :(
Nothing wrong with just purchasing feeders as needed and never breeding them. But for me, the feeder colonies ended up becoming a sub-hobby.
Nice! I do like the idea of breeding them just so I always have food around and there's no need to travel to the pet shop. But I know I'll have way too many for just one G. rosea. And lack of space is an issue; I'm in a tiny one-room Japanese apartment, and I'd prefer to keep feeders out of my main living space if I'm gonna breed a bunch.
For now I just buy them as needed! If I manage to keep them alive for a few weeks, bonus time off from going to the pet shop. It works okay!