G Rosea Enclosure Problem

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
I've been reading up more about tarantulas, browsing mistakes and new ideas brought up in the forums, and It has come to my attention I found a post similar to my situation. Currently my substrate is way too low from the roof and if my 5 inch Rosea plans to climb to the roof, she could potentially fall and get hurt. I could not get a picture of my enclosure right now but I found a picture in the forums that replicates my current substrate situation. I've tried moving/coaxing my Rosea, but all I'm getting are threat postures or quick bolt into the hide. How should I go about getting her out?

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
sub should be dry. i dont know how accurately that represents your cage but it should really be a pic of your set up. just use something soft and long, put a open container in front of her and nudge her till she goes in. dont give up.

Leonardo the Mage

Arachnosquire
I've been reading up more about tarantulas, browsing mistakes and new ideas brought up in the forums, and It has come to my attention I found a post similar to my situation. Currently my substrate is way too low from the roof and if my 5 inch Rosea plans to climb to the roof, she could potentially fall and get hurt. I could not get a picture of my enclosure right now but I found a picture in the forums that replicates my current substrate situation. I've tried moving/coaxing my Rosea, but all I'm getting are threat postures or quick bolt into the hide. How should I go about getting her out?
you posted the exact same thing twice.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
:shifty:

Get yourself a cup, preferably clear, and a drinking straw. If you don't have a straw, use a pipecleaner or a paintbrush.

Hover the cup above the abdomen at an angle away from the head. We want her to turn around and crawl into that. With your straw, coax the T into the cup. It'll fight, but they almost always back up as you do this. Just keep your cool, don't be jumpy. Once they're inside, put the lid on and you're golden. If your cup doesn't have a lid, use a piece of cardboard and just put a medium stone on top to keep from an escape.

Usually, with this species, it's easier to just place the cup over the T in a trap style. No need to fight them with the straw unless they refuse to leave their hide. Just don't have so much junk in there, next time. A hide, a water dish, and you're good.

By the way, if it were a skittish T rather than an aggressive one, you'd hover the cup above the head at an angle away from the abdomen rather than the other way around. That way it runs right into the cup.