G. rosea egg sac update

Fins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well this is what they look like now. From eggs on Sept 5th to today. Growth has slowed a bit. It has been an interesting process to watch. I feel like these are 2nd instar from my observations, but it seems open to interpretation.

hearsemadam

Arachnosquire
Its good to see they are thriving in your care. Thank you for doing what most (who arent in this hobby) wouldnt bother to do.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Yup, still first instar.
Not too long now before they will molt though.

Fins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm still learning that part. It's weird to me the first one isn't considered a molt.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I'm still learning that part. It's weird to me the first one isn't considered a molt.
The 'first one' is hatching. They go from egg, to EWL (hatch), to molt (1st instar), and molt again (2nd instar).

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow they look fantastic! Can't wait to see pictures after they moult (which looks to be soon) Don't forget to separate them afterwards or they'll start eating each other

Fins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to separate them soon so they don't eat each other. Also they are trying to scatter. Luckily they can't climb yet. They just sort of tip over and flail.

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Theyr coming along quite well, keep us updated on progress.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
As far as i know, G. rosea has a extra molt. So it would be: egg, ewl, 1st instar A, 1st instar B, 2nd instar. Which i would really just say egg, ewl, 1st instar, 2nd instar, 3rd instar.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Still first instar. Keep them warm and they might molt faster. Mine were like this for more than three weeks before they finally turned to 2nds.

Marga

MarkmD

Arachnoprince
Yeah it's like they do have 1st inatarA/B then 2nd instar etc, cause they have period of time that they are exactly the same except they may feed on dead pray, by 3rd instar they are fully functional eating and culling each other, till split up onto separate enclosures.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As far as i know, G. rosea has a extra molt. So it would be: egg, ewl, 1st instar A, 1st instar B, 2nd instar. Which i would really just say egg, ewl, 1st instar, 2nd instar, 3rd instar.
I never knew this before, thanks for the interesting fact ae! I wonder why rosea does and others don't

Fins

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

Getting darker. Does it look like one may have molted already to 2nd? It's about in the middle of the picture. Will they start eating at 2nd instar? I've begun to separate them so I was curious.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Yes, that one is now a second instar and will be ready to eat soon.