G. Rosea burrowing?

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Errm...is this normal? she's trying to burrow..it looks like...at first I thought she was just redecorating...but after she moved a bunch of moss, shes digging under some wood...down into the substrate..or atleast trying too..is this just her maybe making a new hide or...what's up?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sounds normal to me. I have three big girls that every now and then like to dig like mad all over the place, knock over and burry water dishes, fill in the hide, then dig it out, dig random holes around the tank. Its fun to watch but 100% normal for them to have moods like that every now and then.

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah! totally..she's all over the place...draggin vegitation all over, pushing over cork bark, digging...this is by far the most interesting thing ive seen her do.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have 8, One mature female and seven of her offspring. She moves her substrate around quite often and the slings dig some pretty big burrows. I have one of the slings in a ten gallon tank and its dug quite a large burrow and webbed it up three or four inch's out from the entrances.
Not sure if it's the norm for rosea's but all mine burrow. There has been times the female has moved almost the entire contents to one end in a big pile. She has it all in a big hump in the center of the tank now and has left it there so maybe she has finally got it to her liking.

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She's all over the place..up the walls too...im startin to wonder now...do they climb alot?...is she telling me its lunch time?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well as a safety measure here are a few questions.

Is the substrate wet?
And look close at the substrate to see if there is anything moving around. Maybe a mite outbreak has occurred and she is trying her hardest to get away from them. Not to likely but not out of the realm of happening.
And how are your temps?

I can't think of anything else really if all those areas check out fine then she is just being a Rosea!{D

Snowball

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no its dry...no mites that i could see..now shes upside down withg her fangs through the screen trying to hold on..now im worried..i dont want her ot fall.:eek:

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How big is she? My friend has a 15 year old mature female that doesn't burrow at all. However, my 1" rosea burrow/digs/constructs....she is nuts! I can't get her to stop. Check it out....

She started with a small tunnel around & under the corkbark...

Then she got a little further....

And now she is packing substrate all the way to the top....lol.

She has been non stop for several days with this project. Very interesting to watch and she is way more active than I would have imagined...especially in the decorating field.

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow sheazy that'd be really fun to watch.. i just love burrowing tarantulas.. especially if they do it against the glass so u can see :)

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My 3.5" Scylla moves so much realestate around that I bought her a hard hat, you kow saftey first!!!:rolleyes:

Whenever shes in da mood, I hear the bobcat going. :)

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She's probably exploring. I've seen my rosies run around and climb upside down and fang the mesh screen. They're probably just testing to see if they can bite through it I'm guessing.

As for the burrowing, it's 100% normal as talkentake mentioned. My 4" made a elaborate burrow and uses it as a hide now. I find her sitting half way out at the entrance usually.

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wow sheazy that'd be really fun to watch.. i just love burrowing tarantulas.. especially if they do it against the glass so u can see :)
Yeah it really is! She even had it all packed to one side, and the next morning I woke up...it was all packed on the other instead...lol. Much more fun to watch than I was expecting for a rosea. She is architecturally intellectual...haha! :D

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Errm...is this normal? she's trying to burrow..it looks like...at first I thought she was just redecorating...but after she moved a bunch of moss, shes digging under some wood...down into the substrate..or atleast trying too..is this just her maybe making a new hide or...what's up?
completely. they are terrestrial T's.

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How big is she? My friend has a 15 year old mature female that doesn't burrow at all. However, my 1" rosea burrow/digs/constructs....she is nuts! I can't get her to stop. Check it out....

She started with a small tunnel around & under the corkbark...

Then she got a little further....

And now she is packing substrate all the way to the top....lol.

She has been non stop for several days with this project. Very interesting to watch and she is way more active than I would have imagined...especially in the decorating field.
that rosie looks bigger than a 1"...just sayin'