G Rosea Breeding!

dayredfern

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok so this mornig i was bored and my male chili rose was climbing all over his tak tring to get out as usual,so i got him out an let him explore my room. I then saw my big female G rosea climbing arund. i have not held her as she flicks hairs as soon as the tank is opened. i decided to attemt a breed. i have no experiance with breeding tarantulas and to be honest dnt really know that much. But i tried as he is almost dying. So i put him in and he was drumming like like mad, i was also scared lol! sitting there with my pen nd plastic lid i watched as he slowly walked towards her. then he stood her up and i watched him insert his two pedipalps, i let this go on for a few minutes untill she started wrapping herself around him. i then stuck my trusty pen between them and then the plastic lid,he then calmly walked out of her tank. she stayed still with her fangs bared then settled about a minute later. When should i next put them together? i really want my first succesful breed to be off my first ever T, 'VIN'.

Dayredfern

i posted this here and not in the breeding reports section as im asking a question, sorry if its wrong like.

oh and one other thing, i recently got a female B smithi, she is in a 10x 8 x 10 tank, can she be bred in this? or will she need a bgger tank?

thanks dayredfern

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
about the smithi - i'd put her in a bigger tank (i put my breeding brachys in 30x40x30 cm tanks - some are very calm, others attack the males).

as for your breeding attempt - you can try again when he's built a new sperm web. as i gather from your post he's inserted both palps, so chances are he got rid of all his sperm. on the other hand, as long as the female shows no signs of agression and he's eager to mate again, you might try tomorrow. maybe he has a bit left ;).

anderstd

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congratulations matchmaker. Hopefully you will wind up with a sack full of slings as a result of your boredom.

dayredfern

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok so they mated agen 2nite! this time alot more calmer, he simply did his thing then sprinted out back to his daddy! she didnt even try to eat him, no wraping around or anything! so will he make a sperm web now? or is that the end for old vinny?

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
G. rosea males are some of the longer lived males once they mature. There are reports of some living for up as long as three years after their ultimate molt. I am not aware of anyone determining just how old they can be and still be viable for breeding. With respect to his making a new sperm web it is quite possible. It depends on how old he is. When was his last molt? Also, males will generally destroy their sperm web once they have used it, therefore he may make one and you may not even be aware of it.

ParabuthusKing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, good luck to you and if it is any inspiration.. I received a male at least 1 1/2 years post ultimate molt, maybe more, and he successfully bred with my big female and hatch out was 200+ healthy spiderlings.. I think you may be busy soon :D