G. rosea babys 3rd instar

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now that is cool. Did you take the sack from mom? Kind of looks like you had a nylon hammock going there. If so, how did you maintain humidity? Seems constant humidity may be the problem I'm running into.

Botar

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Botar,
Heres a better pic. of the setup.. I used a deli dish with pure vermiculite in the bottom. I used a paint strainer for the nylon hammock, just cut as much as i needed, and used a rubber band to hold it in place. I burned 8 holes in the side of the deli cup, below the nylon, and I use a funnel to add water. The temp has been about 75 - 80 degs.

I removed the sac aprox. 60 days ago, and removed the eggs from the sac the same day. I rolled the egg around every day by gently shaking the deli cup. I also removed any bad eggs as I found them.

Thats about it. Its been a real learning curve, but great fun.:D

Ernie

Attachments

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you very much. How soon, after the eggsack was made, did you take it from the T?

Botar

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great setup u got!
What is "paint strainer "?

My rosea have made an eggsack, and i think i'll take it from her soon.... :) Good idea that watering system!!

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is indeed very clever. Looks like you have a nice little family.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Botar,
Thats hard to say, cause I found the T at Petco w/ the sac already made. But I'd have to say that it could'nt have been in there long cause the lady who cares for the T's and reptiles didnt know it was in there. There was water in the dish and crics in the cage, so it had been serviced within the last few days before I got to it.

If I ever get another eggsac I'll remove it from its mom after a couple weeks. Their not hard to care for if you stay on it. I'd check on them in the morning before I left for work, when I got home and in the evening. Its really cool to watch their progress. And you have control over events, not the female.

By the way, I bought the T, cage, hide, water bowl with the eggsac for $12.00.:D What a deal!!!

TigerWoman,

A paint strainer is a nylon sock so to speak, a person pours paint through to clean any dryed paint or chunks out.. Like a tea strainer.:)

Ernie

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow. You really put a lot of care and thought into hatching out those eggs. Congratulations! I certainly learned something from this post. Thanks Mr. T!

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did you use any kind of heat source for it?? We are planning on breeding our C. cyaneopubescens soon and could use tips. That is such a good way of doing it and it seems easier to keep track of the s'ings.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I like the paint strainer idea. I used a nylon 'pantyhose' material for the Usambara slings, but I didn't like it so well....
I had basically the same setup as you, but the only problem was that so many of the eggs were bad, it was really hard to get the poor little ones that had developed unstuck from the bad ones. I bet if I'd have taken the sac away from mom it would have gone better....oh well, live and learn!

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
How wonderful! And what a coup. Few people have succeeded with eggsacs of this species. Best of luck on your new brood, and thanks for posting such an awesome picture.

Joy

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lycanthorope,
Yes I am going to part with most of them. The problem is they arnt worth very much. Shipping is more than buying an adult female, if you use overnite. Slings cost $ 3.00 - $5.00 at the pet store, so what do ya do?

Arachnopunks,
I used a Zoo Med heat emitter #CE-150 in the closet I kept them in. Although I dont think I needed to. As long as its 75 - 80 degs they'll do fine.

Immortal_Sin
I only had to remove about 20 unhatched eggs. I guess they didnt get fertalized, cause they didnt look any different than the ones that hatched. So I fed them to some of my other slings
:) . I did remove some eggs with legs that died along the way though.

Joy,
Thank you and your welcome.:)

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
That is one of the best setups, best "family" pics that I have seen. You should pat yourself on the back really hard :D I think it is absolutely fantastic that you "rescued" mom and sack from the store and were able to give life to so many of the babies. Great job Mr. T.

Gail