G. Pulchura Butt Size

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Why do all my posts have the word "butt" in them lately? From now on, I'll use the butt symbol:
(_*_)
Anyway, I got my mature female g. pulchura today... thank you Bill S!!! But, her opisthoma is only 1/2 the size of her carapace! Is this normal?:? She is definitely not a he... is she preparing to molt?:? Does she need to pork out?:? Is she gluteusly challenged?:?

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
her opisthoma is only 1/2 the size of her carapace! Is this normal?:?
Maybe she as just moulted and thats why its small?
Chid

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
:eek: Oh dear... I just read that a little tarantula hawk eats everything but the heart, lungs & brain first so the T will stay nice and healthy whilst the little bastard grows inside her. Could this be it? Could she have only brains, heart and lungs?

(I put her in a shallow water bowl and she's dipped 3 times now for about 90 seconds each... definitely dehydrated!)

Has anyone ever HAD a tarantula hawk experience? (I'm afraid, I'm VERY afraid!!)

PrincessToad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
:Has anyone ever HAD a tarantula hawk experience? (I'm afraid, I'm VERY afraid!!)
From what I understand when a tarantula hawk gets the T, they are paralyzed. With tender loving care they can pull through but it takes quite a period to do so. THe only true experience I have had is out on a hike I saw a Tarantula Hawk carry off a T. Very sad. But on another board a guy told of a story where he rescued 8 Ts from a T Hawk, all paralyzed and only had 2 survive after feeding them water drops and cricket mash.

I hope this helped and didn't feed any fears. :)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
She SURE isn't paralyzed... she's pretty spunky! Thanks.... I have an unfounded fear that I'm going to get more than I bargained for when I buy WCs!!!

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well you will be happy to know that in the book Tarantulas and Other Arachnids by Marshall it says
Interestingly, a skinny tarantula is probably not suffering from interal parasites.
pg 19. It may just need to be feed a few crickets and be given a little time.

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I can share my experience with you...
In March I got a large female pulchra from e-spiderworld. When I got her, her abdomen was small, just like you describe. She was very healthy and beautiful, but just had a small abdomen. A tremendously active tarantula with a fair amount of attitude for a pulchra. I was surprised as she readlily kicked hairs, something none of my other pulchras ever did.
Its now 2 months later and her abdomen is large. All it took was some extra TLC and a whole lot of crickets. She is a pig and has eaten as many as 9 in a single feeding. Her attitude has changed for the better as well and I try to hold her regularly. She has really warmed up to human interaction.
All I can say, is don't stress over the small abdomen. She will fatten up very quickly. If you don't mind feeding pinkies, they would probably get her weight up quicker than just crickets.
I hope you enjoy your pulchra as much as I enjoy mine. She has quickly become one of my favorites.
Ralph

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Thanks guys.... feelin' better! Ralph... I think mine is going to be just like yours! I usually don't feed newcomers for a day or two to let them acclimate... but when I put her in her new home, she cruised right over to the water bowl and dived right in! 3 good long drinks! So I tossed in a cricket, POUNCE, so I tossed in another, POUNCE.... total in mouth at one time: 4! Doesn't beat 9 but sure made me happy!! Getting a pinkie and some wax worms today, want to give variety and lots of it! Mine also had a little attitude, not nippy but a little jumpy.

This a.m., the little dents in the side of the abdomen are gone! Yay!

(Sorry y'all, I know I'm an alarmist when it comes to my Ts!) But now I know what to expect!

THANK YOU!

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I just wanted to show you a pic of mine after a couple months.
I'm sure your's will do great!
Ralph

Attachments

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
:D She's BEE-YOU-TIFUL!!!:D

Well, mine IS eating like a pig... and I DID get her from Bill (Invertepets) so I'm not worrying about her at all! Actually, it's going to be fun watching that butt blow up!!! Have you ever seen photos of a pregnant woman taken every three weeks and then put together to make a film? That would be HILARIOUS to do with my gir'ls butt!!!

(_*_)(_*_) (_*_)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
UPDATE

Well, it's been a week, and her butt is TWICE THE SIZE IT WAS!! I know, I'm an alarmist! I KNOW Bill wouldn't send me a sick spidie, but my irrational self said, "Something's wrong!" Yeah, ME!

She's fine and she's gorgeous!