G. pulchripes

Haemus

Arachnosquire
If they molt in the open you'll stay up late watching, so they're doing you a favor :)

My male G. pulchripes likes tunneling when he molts too. The first time was when I decided to increase my collection lol

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Update:

Had a feeling, dug her out, dropped in a live cricket and she snatched it up before I could blink.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You have nothing to worry about, however. My 0.1 G.pulchripes - received for free from a weed addicted annoyed and annoying punk that was busted for Mafia with his father a week after - just disappeared and sealed the hell out of that cork bark. My only duty is to keep the water dish full, and nothing else. Those lovely hairy dastards knows what's better for them.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
G.pulchripes annoy me as slings, They will show signs of a pre-molt and still accept food.

If you want to feed the spider, I say pre-kill the cricket or mortally wound it. They will scavenge.
^^^^ THIS

One of mine did the same thing, but I think it stayed hidden for a couple months. All I could do was continue to place pre-kill into the container on a regular basis along with a little moisture on one side and wait. Eventually I suddenly had a T topside. It hasn't burrowed since then.

cold blood

Staff member
My little girl sealed herself in her hide but she wasn't in premolt - nowhere near it. It was because her enclosure was too big. I relocated her to a more appropriate enclosure, and fed her and she gobbled it down. She's in premolt right now, but it's been well over a month since her rehouse. I would get her a smaller enclosure. I remember your picture in the gallery of her sealed burrow. Looked like mine.
Nice work @Moakmeister the student has become the teacher;)

@Paiige If you move it to a 16oz deli like the set up shown, you will see the t all the time and be able to feed and monitor it all the time, and it will eat constantly and grow much faster. I raised 162 of them...100 till 2" and experimented with them with regard to enclosure size...larger enclosures equaled growth at less than half the rate...every single time...by the time I took the ones out of the larger enclosure, their siblings were 2"...they were 1", some under.....I was surprised, because all had burrowed for their lives till then and I didn't realize just how slow they were growing...but hey, if you don't come out to eat, you don't get the nourishment to grow.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
Unless it is like mine and the hide is underneath an inch of substrate. One of mine also has three water dishes (2 buried ones). I love the pulchripes!
Hmm, both my G. pulchripes buried their previous hides too, interesting.
DSC_3559.jpg
Their size and hungry nature was making routine maintenance a little dicey, and got rehoused. Currently they use their bigger hides.

cold blood

Staff member
Unless it is like mine and the hide is underneath an inch of substrate. One of mine also has three water dishes (2 buried ones). I love the pulchripes!
Yeah, every single one of mine has a hide, yet every enclosure looks exactly like @Moakmeister 's set up now...hides are all buried and were never used...lots of water dishes buried, too.

Last edited:

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Yes. The wicked ways of the G. pulcripes. Mine has a hide, water dish and a small faux leaf. Only the leaf's visible at the moment.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yep, another vote for no hide needed with G. pulchripes slings. To them, it's just another annoyance that they need to bury.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Another update - she (I'm actually starting to think it may be a "he" but for the sake of trying to manifest a lady I'll continue to call her she) has not reburied herself. She was sitting nicely on top of her hide like she was waiting for food so I threw another cricket in an hour ago and she snatched it out of the air. She's looking healthier and has been decently active. :D

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Another update - she (I'm actually starting to think it may be a "he" but for the sake of trying to manifest a lady I'll continue to call her she) has not reburied herself. She was sitting nicely on top of her hide like she was waiting for food so I threw another cricket in an hour ago and she snatched it out of the air. She's looking healthier and has been decently active. :D
Mine just molted last night! My mom can't get a good pic tho :(