G. Pulchripes "surprise" molt

Red Raptor

Arachnopeon
Had something very weird happenend to me today.

I acquired a juvenile G. Pulchripes around 1.5m monthes ago and since then it refused to it.

I suspected a pre molt but there were no external signs at all (black abdomen, missing hairs).

This is my first T, so i just couldn't for the life of me figure why she refuses food at juvenile stage during this entire time, since the day she arrived at my house, while showing no signs of pre-molt.

Today i come back off work, check her enclosure and refill her water dish..

What do i see? her, chilling in her cave and next to her is a fresh molt....

I took a picture, around 5-6 days before the molt happened.

Did i miss any signs in the picture or is this normal that T's can molt without any of the classic "Early warning" signs.

Attachments

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My slings/juvies didn't show missing hairs premoult, but I could usually see a shiny/stretched-to-capacity fat dark rump anyway. And a G pulchripes, at that age, and well-fed -- it's sort of a given they will moult fairly often.
Enjoy your T! :)

Last edited:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I feel like its Christmas when my Ts molt lol - often a handful will molt the same week.
I kinda like the surprise!
Oh, and it could possibly be that she's molting in the water dish BC she need more humidity or is dehydrated.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Unless my juveniles have a tendency to kick their hairs - I don't see obvious signs either. Only on the spiderlings because they seem to have less hair and get much, much fatter - stretching their little abdomens to the max.
None of my juveniles show the obvious signs.