G. Pulchripes sling not eating yet.

BGL

Arachnopeon
I got a GP sling just over a week ago. It's about 1/4". I've given it small (live) Dubia and dead ones but it's not eaten yet. I'm not overly concerned but when do I need to start to worry?

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
Also, with as small as it is, prekilled prey would be better offered than live as a precaution.

As long as abdomen does not look shriveled I would not worry.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I always provide my smaller slings with pre-killer prey. Sometimes live prey can intimidate smaller specimens.

It could also be premoult.

Try prekilling smaller feeders and if it still doesn't eat, try again in couple of weeks and by then you will know if premoult.

Make sure it has access to water at all times.

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
Considering you don't have a waterdish in it's container, which is completely fine, as I see the container is way too small for one. I'm guessing you provide it water through misting? If so, I'd add a little bit more ventilation. Unless you have some more holes on the lid of the container. If you do, than great! If not, I'd add some. Beautiful sling.

BGL

Arachnopeon
Thanks. I've got one small hole in the lid for ventilation, I'll add another.
What does the ventilation do besides providing air for breathing ?

kooky

Arachnosquire
well it stops the containers getting stuffy. Stuffy stagnant air is frankly not pleasant and im pretty sure it increases chances of mould occurring. Some species will literally die without proper ventilation from my knowledge. Imagine being in a car all day and night with just a small gap in the window, thats what it can feel like id imagine for a t without the right ventilation.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I would poke a couple in the sides too, to provide a bit of cross ventilation. Slings usually do better in higher humidity, but a stuffy cage can kill Ts. It is better to have more holes for ventilation to prevent this.

It looks like it is premoult. Wait until around 5 days after it moults then start feeding again.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Looks like a well fed sling, like others said. And I agree with DeanK; IMO that roach is too big :-s

cold blood

Staff member
Considering you don't have a waterdish in it's container, which is completely fine, as I see the container is way too small for one.
Container is too small? I think if it's anything, it's a bit too large...id have it in a condiment cup.
Ventilation should be on the sides, not the lid...one or three in the lid to prevent condensation is it, most venting should be on the sides.
Yeah that hide is quite crafty. I may steal this idea heheh
Yeah, but it should be pressed down, you want it to be a tight place, the t will excavate it as it sees fit.

BGL

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys. My roach colony is small and I have very few that are small enough, would a meal worm section be a better option ? How long should I leave it in there before taking it out if its not eaten ? And then how long should I wait before trying to feed again ?

Sana

Arachnoprince
A meal worm piece is ideal for small slings. I pull prey after 24 hours if it hasn't been eaten. With slings I usually try again in 4 or 5 days. If it continues to refuse food it is probably premolt.

Steve Rankin

Arachnopeon
I got a GP sling just over a week ago. It's about 1/4". I've given it small (live) Dubia and dead ones but it's not eaten yet. I'm not overly concerned but when do I need to start to worry?
WITH SLINGS DONT FEED THEM ON LIVE FOOD AS THEY WONT BE ABLE TO CATCH IT. GO TO PET SHOP BUY BUG GRUB AND WATER GEL AND FEED THEM THAT UNTIL LARGE ENUF TO CATCH LIVE FOOD.