G.Pulchripes sling and molting problems?

Murray

Arachnopeon
Hi Everyone,

Having a little trouble with a sling of mine and wanted to get some info from a more experienced person than myself!

My G.Pulchripes went in to premolt about 5 days ago. It stopped eating and it's abdomen's bald spot went from slightly tan to jet black. It has since not molted and now is turning a very dark black/brown from its overall original tan colour.

My worry is that the exoskeleton underneath is now hardening and it has still not molted which, as you all know, pretty much means death is around the corner... I've upped the humidity but I want to know if there's absolutely anything I can do as so far, I've left it to its own devices and only checked on it periodically.

Any help is appreciated! (Photos attached!) 20170118_194456.jpg 20170118_194456.jpg Before

20170225_211149.jpg After

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
The new exoskeleton has been forming underneath the current one. The T has got darker because of this. It should moult very soon.

Murray

Arachnopeon
The new exoskeleton has been forming underneath the current one. The T has got darker because of this. It should moult very soon.
Is this common? I have a few T's and slings but this is the first time I've seen the whole body fully darken (hence the slight worry after nearly a week)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Happens every moult ;)

Needs a new dress when they squeeze out the old one.

It is an indicator that it may have more colour in the next moult and that it will lose some of the sling pink

cold blood

Staff member
Is this common? I have a few T's and slings but this is the first time I've seen the whole body fully darken (hence the slight worry after nearly a week)
yes, its pretty normal.

Could be days, but don't fret if it hasn't molted in a month...some of them take their sweet time...I have one that's been basically pre-molt since thanksgiving...All 11 of her remaining siblings have molted once and many twice in the time this one is taking just to get this one molt over with.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have had an AF B. boehmei with a big, baldy, jet black butt for over a month now. Should be sooner for smaller specimens of course

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
normal, tarantulas commonly lose their colors before a molt, they regain them and more so after.

Murray

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone, I'm just leaving it to its own devices as I feel I've done everything I can for now!

It's really interesting to see the whole body darken as I've never seen that on my other slings!

Thanks for all the replies, it has been a massive reassurance to me! Good news too, my a.versicolor sling that was in premolt just completed a molt too (2nd to 3rd instar!) Roughly taking about 30 mins however haha! 20170226_103140.jpg

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Thanks everyone, I'm just leaving it to its own devices as I feel I've done everything I can for now!

It's really interesting to see the whole body darken as I've never seen that on my other slings!

Thanks for all the replies, it has been a massive reassurance to me! Good news too, my a.versicolor sling that was in premolt just completed a molt too (2nd to 3rd instar!) Roughly taking about 30 mins however haha! View attachment 232485
A little water dish would help hydrate her and-er-entertain her.

Murray

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone,

Just as an update, she molted this morning and seems to be doing OK! I will check her when I get home from work but all looks good as at the time she was just chewing away on her molt! (even though there was still a good amount of moisture in her tub and I really wanted that molt.... oh well!)

Murray

Arachnopeon
Hey,
I've got home and checked the moult but it was too chewed to sex and I noticed that she lost a leg during molting too but I believe that's my fault due to lower humidity but I've learnt from this. She has lovely reddish hairs on her abdomen and her adult colors are starting to come through!

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Hey,
I've got home and checked the moult but it was too chewed to sex
I feel your pain. I have an unsexed 4 inch G. pulchripes. Why unsexed at that size, you might ask? The molts are always too shredded/mangled for me to come to any conclusion. I'm hoping I catch it molting early enough next time so I can remove it quickly.

Murray

Arachnopeon
All I can say is good luck! Atleast you have another 3 - 4 inches until they're full sized! Plenty of time!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I feel your pain. I have an unsexed 4 inch G. pulchripes. Why unsexed at that size, you might ask? The molts are always too shredded/mangled for me Io come to any conclusion. I'm hoping I catch it molting early enough next time so I can remove it quickly.
Same goes for my Gbb's.
And my P.pulchers. And my E.murinus just threw out the old carapace only. :shifty:
'sexing via molt is easier', they said, 'so much more reliable', they said.
It WOULD be if i could GET one!