G. pulchripes juv feeding problems

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Hello, I'm pretty much out of ideas of why my golden knee Juvenile refuses any food offered to her for nearly a year now.

I acquired her at 8th of June, 2016, since then she molted once at 17.7.2016.
Since then she refused any food I offered to her.

I tried feeding her with Meal worms and Super worms.
I tried leaving the worms for the night, squished their heads a bit but eventually after 1-2 weeks i found them as beetles...
She just backs off or turns around, as like she isn't interested.
Both worms I feed with oath meal and keep rotating fresh carrot while removing the old remains.
I make sure to change their oath meal bedding every now and then to prevent mold.
In addition I occasionally grind cat food and add it as well.
The worms look nice and plump and already passed several cycles.
So i don't think the food is the issue.

In addition to this I make sure her bottle cup is always filled with fresh water at all times.

My seller stated that she had no issues eating mean worms/super worms before.

She is VERY shy, and mostly hangs around her lair, so I don't even try to handle her.

She doesn't show any symptoms of weakness (abdomen/leg dragging/small abdomen) or dehydration.

I just can't figure for the life of me why she is refusing food for so long.
I have searched the internet and didn't find someone with my case, especially as she is only a juvenile.
I never found someone with the case of a juvenile refusing for for such long time.

Hell, I feel like I spend more time tending to the worms rather than my spider.

Please help, I'm completely out of ideas and have no clue what else can I do, she is my first T.
Pictures.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
From what I could make out in the photo..The enclosure should be about half its size, but the spider certainly doesn't look to be starving either. Even the hide the spider has is a bit too large and it could be feeling exposed even in that hide. Also you said you squished the worms head but later found them as beetles, you need to squish the head a little harder if there turning into beetles the purpose of squishing the head is to kill them. Enclosure issues aside I would also attempt to feed it another type of prey item. While i've had success with both meal and super worms, sometimes a faster moving prey item gets a better feeding response.
Yup, what Jason said + here's my 2 cents worth.
MUCH smaller cage.
Use a bit if corkbark for a hide
Give that juvie at least 4" of substrate. I use ecoearth. Some here use organic potting soil/peat moss. I also use plastic flowers with my beast. She uses them for hiding and toys.

CRICKETS. LARGE, SUCCULENT GUT LOADED CRICKETS. Gut load them with carrots, potato and I use romaine. My juvie will take them down BAM.
Ask @cold blood his tricks. He breeds them. I got my beast from him. He breeds the little suckers. Readreadread.

cold blood

Staff member
Judging by the pics you posted, you are obviously mistaken. It most certainly has eaten since its last molt...in fact its quite plump....ts cannot just get plump without eating.

Some pulchripes do go through unusually long pre molt periods...I just had one under 2" go 7 months fasting before finally molting. Judging from what I see, I don't see any obvious concerns.

Being as large as it is, I don't think the size of the enclosure is an issue at all...although I would change a few things. First I would double the substrate level...they do burrow often when given the opportunity. The next thing to do would be to bury that hide...like almost completely. Just push in a small entrance area and let the t take it from there. As mentioned, ts prefer their hides to be tight, roomy and open is bad...actually its not bad, its just not doing the job of a hide.

I always say that they are like the opposite of us...we may feel comfortable walking into, say a church....a t would not....conversely, most adults would find it much to tight to crawl under a bed...but for a tarantula, climbing under a bed would still be too roomy.

With the hide totally buried, it will almost look just like a hole in the ground...and with sub covering the wood, its now not a fall risk.

This is an example...these hides are based on a large curved piece of wood...like yours, only a little smaller.

Red Raptor

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys, il try re-making her lair in accordance with the pictures you posted, and see if there will be any difference in her behavior.

P.S. i use peat moss.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
That sized enclosure is fine for the size of the T. I have a number of Ts that size in enclosures that size.

It could have been really plump before the molt and was still a bit heavy afterwards. I agree, with your T being that plump then it is likely just full. I'd make sure it has access to clean water and let it work off some of that rump.

Last edited:

Red Raptor

Arachnopeon
That sized enclosure is fine for the size of the T. I have a number of Ts that size in enclosures that size.

It could have been really plump before the molt and was still a bit heavy afterwards. I agree, with your T being that plump then it is likely just full. I'd make sure it has access to clean water and let it work off some of that rump.
Hey! Sorry for the delayed response, but i manage dto take good pictures of my T, also, i re-made her burrow and it looks like she feels more comfortable with it (i burrowed it deeper, closed the back side to give it more darkness), she spends much more time outside now as well.

Would like to hear your opinion.

http://imgur.com/a/tIyWy

Thanks!

Mark weller

Arachnopeon
Hello, I'm pretty much out of ideas of why my golden knee Juvenile refuses any food offered to her for nearly a year now.

I tried feeding her with Meal worms and Super worms.
I tried leaving the worms for the night, squished their heads a bit but eventually after 1-2 weeks i found them as beetles...
She just backs off or turns around, as like she isn't interested.
Both worms I feed with oath meal and keep rotating fresh carrot while removing the old remains.
I make sure to change their oath meal bedding every now and then to prevent mold.
In addition I occasionally grind cat food and add it as well.
The worms look nice and plump and already passed several cycles.
So i don't think the food is the issue.

In addition to this I make sure her bottle cup is always filled with fresh water at all times.

My seller stated that she had no issues eating mean worms/super worms before.

She is VERY shy, and mostly hangs around her lair, so I don't even try to handle her.

She doesn't show any symptoms of weakness (abdomen/leg dragging/small abdomen) or dehydration.

I just can't figure for the life of me why she is refusing food for so long.
I have searched the internet and didn't find someone with my case, especially as she is only a juvenile.
I never found someone with the case of a juvenile refusing for for such long time.

Hell, I feel like I spend more time tending to the worms rather than my spider.

Please help, I'm completely out of ideas and have no clue what else can I do, she is my first T.
Unfortunately the g species is a sore subject with alot of keepers as nothing can be more frustrating than a fasting t.!!..as long as she looks good in appearance and she is drinking plenty, then I wouldn't worry.!!.. I have a g.porteri that didn't eat for a whole 12 months, and all of a sudden started eating again.!!.. Post a few pics so we can take a closer look for you.

Red Raptor

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately the g species is a sore subject with alot of keepers as nothing can be more frustrating than a fasting t.!!..as long as she looks good in appearance and she is drinking plenty, then I wouldn't worry.!!.. I have a g.porteri that didn't eat for a whole 12 months, and all of a sudden started eating again.!!.. Post a few pics so we can take a closer look for you.
Done.

Attachments