G Pulchripes hibernating?

Creepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
My chaco sealed herself in her hide and hasn't come out for two-weeks now. Do I disturb the hide to check on her, or leave it be...and if so, for how long before I should suspect a dead tarantula?

kevin88

Arachnopeon
What size of chaco? You said her, but is it for sure a female? Most likely it will just be molting soon. If WC or bred could be a sac coming.

Kevin

Stanky

Arachnopeon
I just had a T molt who sealed herself in her burrow for about 2 1/2 weeks molted and still in burrow. I fig she come out when she hardens up. I would suggest just leaving it be. They can spend endless amounts of time being hid away. Also it will eventually come out and eat but again they can do without food for long periods of time as well.

I read on here that your spiders not dead till it stinks like its dead. Also the shrivel up right but I would assume there could be exceptions.

Creepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
What size of chaco? You said her, but is it for sure a female? <snip>

Kevin
Its an unsexed sub-adult (about 3-3.5 inches)...I just use "her" as wishful thinking. "IT" stopped eating as well...had a ferocious appetite when I first got it, ate two large crickets a day for like three weeks straight, then disappeared.

I will leave it be for now...just wanted to make sure that two-weeks was not unusual.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Creepy, my chaco buries herself in her hide for MONTHS at a time. Literally, months. I haven't seen my h.mac in probably 4 months. Don't worry, 2 weeks is nothing.

Creepy Crawler

Arachnopeon
I just had a T molt who sealed herself in her burrow for about 2 1/2 weeks molted and still in burrow.<snip>
Just out of curiosity...how did you know she molted if she never came out of burrow? Mine could be doing any manner of thing in there and I wouldn't know it because I can see squat...zip, zero, nada!!

Upjohn252

Arachnopeon
My G. Pulchra

I just got 3 slings, they burrowed in 1 by 1 , and I havent seen them since. Its been 1 week
Im a n00b and getting frightfully anxious and a little lonely, where are my girls?

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My G Pulchripes female is 5-5.5", shes been sealed in her burrow for a couple of months now, luckily I can see in it though, waiting for her to molt, seems like forever with grammostola's.

Stanky

Arachnopeon
I would suspect thats your T is molting for these reasons. It has stopped eating and has retreated to a burrow to be left alone and feel secure while its going threw its pre-molt. Your T would be pretty lethargic and its colors could be duller. Your T could remain burrowed for sometime during this process. Might not even come out in till it hardens up a few weeks after the molt even. Just keep your T at its desired humidity level and temp. Remove all crickets intill the molting process is over.

Luckily for me my T's burrow is by the plastic so I can see it. To this day its still alive and still sealed in its burrow for about 20+ days and has yet to eat since it went into its burrow. I have had T's that I couldn't see burrowed as well and it can take about a month give or take till it came back out in search of food or to chill elsewhere.

I wouldn't worry myself over this, even though its hard sometimes since we human and have the feeling to care and worry about the ones we love. Mother Nature knows what shes doing.

newspidermom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ya..I'd suspect a molt looming. My Chaco "Chiquita" closed herself up for three wks. I finally opened up a small "peek" hole that I could check on her thru. When I did I could barely see that she was sitting on the exuvium. I just left her alone and she finally came out looking for food. That was about 6 months ago and she's since stopped eating again. She hasn't closed herself up yet, but I'm guessing another molt is coming. One other sign is that my B. Boehmei is in heavy pre-molt right now. Bald spot on butt has been black and shiny for about a week now. Should be any day. Her and my Chaco molted within a day of each other last time so if they're still close to the same molt schedule my Chaco will be close behind.