G. pulchripes close to pre-molt?

JoeyCortez

Arachnopeon
IMG_0352.JPG So I'm thinking my G. pulchripes is going to be in pre-molt soon, the abdomen is completely black and the legs look like they're starting to darken a little bit. I'll post a pic to show you. Although it did eat Friday. I've been looking at a lot of different posts everywhere but can not seem to find any pics of a sling this small before it's getting ready to molt.

Attachments

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Spiderlings that small usually look like balloons when they are in premoult. The abdomen will swell with fluid and will turn black all over when the exo underneath has formed. Then it could be a few days, or a few hours until they are ready.

Stay patient Joey :)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That's a hungry sling! It'll get ready to molt if you fatten it up. There is no such thing as an obese sling - feed, feed, feed!

JoeyCortez

Arachnopeon
Thanks! I just recently figured out how to get this guy to eat something and I've fed him twice so far since I got him about a week and a half ago

cold blood

Staff member
And dry out that mansion. Just keep a small area damp and provide a water dish.

Doesn't look pre molt, but the pic is pretty distant.View media item 38374
This sling molted a day after this pic.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Thanks! I just recently figured out how to get this guy to eat something and I've fed him twice so far since I got him about a week and a half ago
pre-killed food is always easiest.

You will find things much easier by putting it into a smaller enclosure...this is a G. pulchripes about the same size.

JoeyCortez

Arachnopeon
Oh yea I found that out, I tried to give it live food and it just would run away from it and never eat it. So I finally started pre-killing them and then I would find that it would pick it up and eat it after it being in there for a little while. The sub looks damp but it's dry, it's just fresh coco. I have a corner where I have a little bit of sphagnum moss and I will put a few drops of water on there for it. I'm using the sling enclosure that comes with the beginner kit from Jamie's.

aphono

Arachnobaron
pre-killed food is always easiest.

You will find things much easier by putting it into a smaller enclosure...this is a G. pulchripes about the same size.

I can verify this. I'm very new to the hobby- got 3 slings and one juvenile two weeks ago. One of the slings is a G. pulchripes the same size and in the exact same deli cup.. it is doing really good.. very aggressive eater of live crickets. Body slams them to the ground as soon as the cricket hits the substrate.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Oh yea I found that out, I tried to give it live food and it just would run away from it and never eat it. So I finally started pre-killing them and then I would find that it would pick it up and eat it after it being in there for a little while. The sub looks damp but it's dry, it's just fresh coco. I have a corner where I have a little bit of sphagnum moss and I will put a few drops of water on there for it. I'm using the sling enclosure that comes with the beginner kit from Jamie's.
Didn't catch this before my reply above. It looked like a huge enclosure from the starting post, so never mind my reply. I was just very surprised at the appropriate size enclosures at first. But now I can see the recommended sizes really do work quite well for them. Perhaps we can sort of compare as our pulchripes slings grow up....