G. Pulchripes burrowing.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello all! I have a question I was hoping someone can answer for me. I have a G. Pulchripes that is maybe 1.25" and I got it a few weeks ago. I recently moved it to a sterilite container with a couple inches of barely damp eco earth and a small water dish. A few days ago, it made a series of tunnels and buried itself pretty well. How do I know if it is OK to drop crickets in for it? I am a bit nervous about it being buried away where I can't tell how it is doing, but if this is normal for this species I just have to deal with it :).

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If it is buried where there is no entrance into the burrow, then it is getting ready for winter or a possible molt. Since most crickets don't dig, i would leave it in overnight and then take it out the next day. If it's not there the next day, i would assume it to be eaten, but check again another day to be sure.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well there are several tunnels... I put it's container in a 10 gallon aquarium with a heating pad on the back to keep it at about 75 degrees or so as it's been getting in the 20' at night. It's made it's hole in the corner on the warmest part of the tank.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Gmrpnk21, Sounds like it is possibly preparing to molt. I would not leave a live cricket in the enclosure at all. The only other option would be pre-killing a cricket and placing it as close to where the spider is that you can without disturbing the tunnels. It's hard to tell with young t's and I've had them frequently take it this way. A better option would be to leave it alone for awhile and wait, especially if it's been well-fed. Good luck. :) Terry

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It hasn't shown any other signs of premolt and just ate a cricket yesterday. It made itself plenty of tunnels though...

RoseT

Arachnosquire
My .75 G. Pulchripes sling did the same and it closed itself off... but from previous experience i know he or she is preparing for a molt....

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mine just came out of her closed up burrow after about 4 months. She has the biggest butt ever!! She just hid in there and ate.....I was so shocked yesterday when I saw she pushed out the dirt to open the hole and was outside her hide! They are just being tarantulas, don't worry. :)