G. Pulchra

ahnak

Arachnopeon
Hello! I have just purchased my first T, a G. Pulchra. I decided on this one because of all of the good comments I've read about their temperaments, that they are good for beginners, and they are so beautiful. I feel super lucky because I found a beginner kit on Jamie's for the T and a beginner enclosure!

I have been searching on these boards about caring for them and am admittedly a little bit nervous because it is a juvenile (listed as 3/4"-1" on the site) and I know they are more fragile than a more established adult. I want to make sure that I am doing this right, and wanted to double check what I have gathered or see if anyone has any extra tips or advice to give me.

- the juveniles need a bit damper substrate, but in general the g pulcra's like it a bit on the drier side. will putting the water dish in the enclosure help with this, do i need to be misting the substrate, or how should I go about keeping the enclosure at an ideal dampness?
- temperature should be good as long as the room its kept in is a comfortable temperature to hang out in a tee shirt? i am eventually going to be moving this T into an art studio that I go into every day but is not in my house and can get pretty chilly because of the lack of insulation in the cooler months. Would a space heater with a thermostat be okay for this, or would something such as a red light made to be on 24/7 like for keeping chicks be better? I will be keeping the T in my apartment until it gets larger so I can keep a closer eye on it but i figure if i am posting questions here now i might as well ask this too.
- how often should i feed, how much, and what would be best at this point in its life? this is the questions i feel i haven't been able to get a terribly consistent answer on in going through the forums yet.
- how do i know it is time to upgrade the enclosure? is there a general rule of thumb for enclosure size to leg span or something of that sort? i know that since it is a terrestrial, that the climbing height needs to be kept to a minimum, but what about the width x length compared to leg span?

- anything else i should know about the g pulchra specifically or just being a new tarantula keeper in general? Thanks in advance, I am really glad this forum exists because all of the information i have found on random websites has been really conflicting, especially compared to what people general advise to do here.

Arachnanoob95

Arachnopeon
Congrats on your purchase, they are a beautiful species.
To answer your questions:

1. Humidity
Don't worry about that too much. A waterdish and an occasional spray are more than enough. Depending on the size of the enclosure some keep one side or corner damp while others keep the lower levels damp so the T can burrow towards the moisture. Some of my slings are kept almost bone dry though, with a waterdish and a spray now and then.

2. Temperature
Roomtemp is fine. Space heaters I'd recommend over any other sources such as heatlamps or heat mats. Mine are currently kept at a high of 21-22 degrees celsius with a low of 17-18 degrees at night. And they do just fine. Lower temps can decrease their appetite which might slow their growth a bit but as long as it's not too cold or too drafty it certainly won't kill them.

3. Feeding
How often you fees is a personal choice. Some feed their slings every day to every few days to every week. Mine are fed once a week, sometimes maybe twice. Feeding more often such as 2-3 times a week can up the growth rate but feeding them only once a week is completely fine too. They won't starve no worries.
Also, feeding more to fasten the growth isn't an option in your case. You are now the owner of one of the slowest growing species ever. I've heard stories of people with g. pulchra slings that were in premoult for 9 months. I hope you're a patient person ;).

4. Rehouse
The moment you see that the sling is bigger than half its enclosure, it's definitely rehouse time. Aside from that it's again a bit of a personal choice. If you give a sling a too big enclosure it can increase the chance it will burrow away and you won't see it. Generally, choose something that is about 2,5-3 times the size of your sling. And nothing too tall so they can't climb and fall down.
You can always post a pic of the enclosure once the spider arrived.
Good luck with your new T :)

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hello! I have just purchased my first T, a G. Pulchra. I decided on this one because of all of the good comments I've read about their temperaments, that they are good for beginners, and they are so beautiful. I feel super lucky because I found a beginner kit on Jamie's for the T and a beginner enclosure!

I have been searching on these boards about caring for them and am admittedly a little bit nervous because it is a juvenile (listed as 3/4"-1" on the site) and I know they are more fragile than a more established adult. I want to make sure that I am doing this right, and wanted to double check what I have gathered or see if anyone has any extra tips or advice to give me.

- the juveniles need a bit damper substrate, but in general the g pulcra's like it a bit on the drier side. will putting the water dish in the enclosure help with this, do i need to be misting the substrate, or how should I go about keeping the enclosure at an ideal dampness?
- temperature should be good as long as the room its kept in is a comfortable temperature to hang out in a tee shirt? i am eventually going to be moving this T into an art studio that I go into every day but is not in my house and can get pretty chilly because of the lack of insulation in the cooler months. Would a space heater with a thermostat be okay for this, or would something such as a red light made to be on 24/7 like for keeping chicks be better? I will be keeping the T in my apartment until it gets larger so I can keep a closer eye on it but i figure if i am posting questions here now i might as well ask this too.
- how often should i feed, how much, and what would be best at this point in its life? this is the questions i feel i haven't been able to get a terribly consistent answer on in going through the forums yet.
- how do i know it is time to upgrade the enclosure? is there a general rule of thumb for enclosure size to leg span or something of that sort? i know that since it is a terrestrial, that the climbing height needs to be kept to a minimum, but what about the width x length compared to leg span?

- anything else i should know about the g pulchra specifically or just being a new tarantula keeper in general? Thanks in advance, I am really glad this forum exists because all of the information i have found on random websites has been really conflicting, especially compared to what people general advise to do here.
DONT be alarmed because how slow they will grow. Many beginner posts about this. They will grow extreamly sliw in general. DONT keep it in lage container. Keep it in a delicup. They should be kept moist until they are juveniles, aftrr that they can be housed bonedry with a full waterdish. Feedingwise, they can be picky, but eats pretty good for a Grammostola IME. Just feed it once a week and it will be fine. Other than that there are not much more that i can say

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
it is a juvenile (listed as 3/4"-1" on the site)
That would be a sling, they're generally considered juveniles when passing the 1.5" - 2" mark.

Keep on slightly moist sub until 1.5" and then keep on dry sub with a water dish after that. Misting is a horribly inefficient method for maintaining substrate moisture and does little more than annoy the occupant of the enclosure, just pipette or pour water directly into the substrate and repeat when it dries out.

- temperature should be good as long as the room its kept in is a comfortable temperature to hang out in a tee shirt?
I detest this rule as I'd be comfortable at temps low enough to kill a tarantula whereas temps high enough to turn me into a gigantic sweating rage monster wouldn't even phase a tarantula.

Generally speaking, if your room temps fall anywhere between 65°F and 90°F then you're good.

i am eventually going to be moving this T into an art studio that I go into every day but is not in my house and can get pretty chilly because of the lack of insulation in the cooler months. Would a space heater with a thermostat be okay for this
Yes, heating the room is considered the safest option.

You won't get a consistent answer on feeding schedules as there is no universal schedule, some people think feeding schedules are completely pointless, some feed smaller meals more often, and some feed larger meals less often.

If you want a rough ballpark then this is a slow growing species that can fast for months if overfed so slings will only need feeding once every 7-10 days, adults only once every 4-6 weeks.

2x leg span length and width is the minimum you want to go with.

ahnak

Arachnopeon
Thank you all so much for the information and corrections! I really appreciate it a ton and am happy I decided to get second opinions on everything

I am excited to get my new tarantula and for this new test of patience with the growing lol

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Thank you all so much for the information and corrections! I really appreciate it a ton and am happy I decided to get second opinions on everything

I am excited to get my new tarantula and for this new test of patience with the growing lol
I also got one from Jamie's last May and she was less than an inch. I think she's about 2" now. She's molted three times. I just love her so much. She is so calm so it's really easy to feed her, fill her water dish, etc. She completely pounces on her feeders which is fun to watch. But.... you're going to want anther quickly haha. For the most part, unless she's eating, she doesn't move hardly at all. She'll move when nobody is looking because I do see dirt moved around here and there. She was my second and I have 8 now and I'm done. (for now lol)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
For slings, I just drip some water onto the substrate and rotate which area gets damp, so no one area is perpetually damp.

- temperature should be good as long as the room its kept in is a comfortable temperature to hang out in a tee shirt? i am eventually going to be moving this T into an art studio that I go into every day but is not in my house and can get pretty chilly because of the lack of insulation in the cooler months. Would a space heater with a thermostat be okay for this, or would something such as a red light made to be on 24/7 like for keeping chicks be better?
If an average person would be comfortable in a T-shirt, that temperature is fine for pulchras. (It regularly gets in the mid-to-upper 60s in here, and all of my tarantulas are fine.) A space heater is good if it gets too cold.

I would not use a heat bulb, as that could desiccate your spider.

- how often should i feed, how much, and what would be best at this point in its life?
I don't feed my tarantulas on a set schedule, but in general my slings get half a mealworm about once a week.

ahnak

Arachnopeon
For slings, I just drip some water onto the substrate and rotate which area gets damp, so no one area is perpetually damp.

If an average person would be comfortable in a T-shirt, that temperature is fine for pulchras. (It regularly gets in the mid-to-upper 60s in here, and all of my tarantulas are fine.) A space heater is good if it gets too cold.

I would not use a heat bulb, as that could desiccate your spider.

I don't feed my tarantulas on a set schedule, but in general my slings get half a mealworm about once a week.
Thanks ungoliant! Ts really hard so little maintenance. I feel a lot more comfortable about getting my sling now, from what I've been reading and the advice you and the others have given.

I also got one from Jamie's last May and she was less than an inch. I think she's about 2" now. She's molted three times. I just love her so much. She is so calm so it's really easy to feed her, fill her water dish, etc. She completely pounces on her feeders which is fun to watch. But.... you're going to want anther quickly haha. For the most part, unless she's eating, she doesn't move hardly at all. She'll move when nobody is looking because I do see dirt moved around here and there. She was my second and I have 8 now and I'm done. (for now lol)
That's what I keep reading! Especially people in the other G Pulchra threads who say that it's nice to have another quicker growing tarantula to watch while the Pulchra does its thing lol. At least if this ends up being the case for me too, they aren't too expensive and seem relatively easy to take care of. So happy to hear you had a good experience with the same breeder, I am so excited right now, mine should be here tomorrow!

3B1586E0-92C7-4F12-B6D8-DEEEF7D06AB9.jpeg
Settling in well! Took two pinhead crickets today and has been munching away at them in the hide (it’s spent most of its time in there so I was happy to see it out to snap a picture for a bit this morning). I feel like maybe the amount of substrate that came in the terrarium kit is not enough for how small this little guy (or girl) is and how much room there is to the top, but it hasn’t tried to climb the sides or anything and I received it three days ago.
Anyway just wanted to check in and say thanks again with a picture! I know this photo is very spider focused but if you see anything wrong with the enclosure from it still please let me know! Want to do my best for Goth Girlfriend (I know I won’t know the sex for sometime but if this is a he I hope he won’t mind his name)

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
View attachment 333537
Settling in well! Took two pinhead crickets today and has been munching away at them in the hide (it’s spent most of its time in there so I was happy to see it out to snap a picture for a bit this morning). I feel like maybe the amount of substrate that came in the terrarium kit is not enough for how small this little guy (or girl) is and how much room there is to the top, but it hasn’t tried to climb the sides or anything and I received it three days ago.
Anyway just wanted to check in and say thanks again with a picture! I know this photo is very spider focused but if you see anything wrong with the enclosure from it still please let me know! Want to do my best for Goth Girlfriend (I know I won’t know the sex for sometime but if this is a he I hope he won’t mind his name)
I would submerge the water dish so the top is flush with the substrate/ground level, but that's just what I have read and I do. I have a G. Pulchra that's around 11/4-11/2" DLS and I can say that mine is a very picky eater, so far I have only had success with live crickets.

ahnak

Arachnopeon
I would submerge the water dish so the top is flush with the substrate/ground level, but that's just what I have read and I do. I have a G. Pulchra that's around 11/4-11/2" DLS and I can say that mine is a very picky eater, so far I have only had success with live crickets.
that makes total sense! im going to do that right now, thanks for the feedback. it seems pretty obvious now that you mention it, but i'll cut myself a liiiiittle slack with mistakes like this for now.

i actually tried to give mine a cricket that i had crushed a bit with the tongs first because i was being overly cautious and scared but it did not take that at all. as soon as i dropped the pinhead in live, it instantly went for it, and another. i'll be having to feed live as well, which i was expecting.

cold blood

Staff member
JMO, but I think those are terrible enclosure for NW terrestrial slings. Downsize or that thing will disappear on you. While you are right, there is too much height in these enclosures, you really don't need it on deeper sub.

ahnak

Arachnopeon
JMO, but I think those are terrible enclosure for NW terrestrial slings. Downsize or that thing will disappear on you. While you are right, there is too much height in these enclosures, you really don't need it on deeper sub.
what would you personally suggest for a sling this size? i was reading that spice jars and things of that nature can be good for smaller guys. if i were to transfer to something like that, is a hide still necessary, or would it feel comfortable enough just with some substrate to burrow in and the more enclosed space that it wouldn't be necessary?

cold blood

Staff member
I would use a condiment cup till its over one inch...

then move it to a 16oz deli cup with a water dish and hide.

ahnak

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, I downsized the enclosure today to this little tupperware that's less than half of the jamie's enclosure. is this enough ventilation for it? I feel like I'm being overly worried but I feel it's better to be safe than sorry. I checked to make sure there aren't any cracks in the plastic because it looks like I may have accidentally went too crazy but it looks like I was just being sloppy with the nail I was using and kept scratching up the surface!

Attachments

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Anything will work. The problem is, if you can have 2 of these identical slings, with one in that and one in what Cold Blood suggested, I think you would be surprised of the difference you see. I oversized all of my sling enclosures starting out and rarely saw them or got to observe them eating. For example, I received a G. Porteri (1/2" DLS ) and I never saw it eat in over a month, dropped pieces of every kind of feeder you can think of in and it always seemed to go untouched. Once I downsized it to a condiment cup, I tried feeding it, wack! it nailed the cricket right away and for the 1st time i was able to observe it eating.

You can buy a bag of condiment cups w/ lids for under $5.00 at Walmart.

Just saying, when they give you exact advice, you should take it!!

ahnak

Arachnopeon
Anything will work. The problem is, if you can have 2 of these identical slings, with one in that and one in what Cold Blood suggested, I think you would be surprised of the difference you see. I oversized all of my sling enclosures starting out and rarely saw them or got to observe them eating. For example, I received a G. Porteri (1/2" DLS ) and I never saw it eat in over a month, dropped pieces of every kind of feeder you can think of in and it always seemed to go untouched. Once I downsized it to a condiment cup, I tried feeding it, wack! it nailed the cricket right away and for the 1st time i was able to observe it eating.

You can buy a bag of condiment cups w/ lids for under $5.00 at Walmart.

Just saying, when they give you exact advice, you should take it!!
I just had this thing laying around in my kitchen and calculated the cubic inches, which came out to only .75 more and i figured that wouldn't make too big of a difference. don't want to come off like i am trying to disrespect your guys' advice or anything, just trying to be resourceful since i was actually gonna get rid of these containers anyway (can hardly fit anything in the dang things hahah)

my little dude did come out to eat a couple days ago but was starting to burrow and even though it was doing it on the side where i could see it, i see the benefits in downsizing for sure and i'm hoping that taking cold's advice to put it in something much smaller helps reduce the stress. i'm sure getting knocked around in a vial for a couple days in transit is really awful and i imagine it felt pretty vulnerable with all that open space.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
I just had this thing laying around in my kitchen and calculated the cubic inches, which came out to only .75 more and i figured that wouldn't make too big of a difference. don't want to come off like i am trying to disrespect your guys' advice or anything, just trying to be resourceful since i was actually gonna get rid of these containers anyway (can hardly fit anything in the dang things hahah)

my little dude did come out to eat a couple days ago but was starting to burrow and even though it was doing it on the side where i could see it, i see the benefits in downsizing for sure and i'm hoping that taking cold's advice to put it in something much smaller helps reduce the stress. i'm sure getting knocked around in a vial for a couple days in transit is really awful and i imagine it felt pretty vulnerable with all that open space.
Oh really, it's that small ? It looked a lot bigger in your picture. If it is only 3/4" bigger than what Cold Blood suggested it should work very similar to a condiment cup I suppose. Just knowing the difference and what i have observed the past 2 months, I want you to be able to enjoy your sling, that's all.

ahnak

Arachnopeon
Oh really, it's that small ? It looked a lot bigger in your picture. If it is only 3/4" bigger than what Cold Blood suggested it should work very similar to a condiment cup I suppose. Just knowing the difference and what i have observed the past 2 months, I want you to be able to enjoy your sling, that's all.
i was actually surprised too! maybe it's the different shape that's so deceiving? i appreciate the help and am new here and just did not want people to think that i am trying to go against what obviously seasoned people, cold being a mod and all, were saying, which is the only reason i wanted to make the size clear! you all have been nothing but helpful and kind and i dont want to be one of those newbies that acts arrogant or just blatantly ignores what you have to say. thanks again for the input and patience!

ahnak

Arachnopeon
hey everyone, i wanted to give an update! finally molted! what a crazy process to witness, it was the first molt in my care and it was so fascinating to watch the abdomen begin to get larger and shiny, and then how "fresh"? it looked right afterwards. I wanted to thank you all for the help and advice and for making these boards so informative and newbie friendly!

here's a picture of the t today (molt happened yesterday morning / early afternoon)! gigi has come so far. since i have no previous experience with t's, the slow molt rate probably won't even be super noticeable to me!

EXx6eN5U4AIZwI0.jpg