g. pulchra wont eat - 2"

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey, was reading some other threads and didn't really get an answer for my personal situation.

I have a 2" G. Pulchra, and its been 2 and a half weeks and she/he went from eating every day, to not eating at all. ( i fed every day because she/he was always roaming leading me to believe its a male or, its very hungry and it turned out hungry)

at first i thought molt was coming, but its been almost 3 weeks.....is this normal?

Should i ICU her with a recently dead cricket?

Thanks.

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
Your tarantula knows what it's doing. I've heard that they can randomly go on very long fasts.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Hey, was reading some other threads and didn't really get an answer for my personal situation.

I have a 2" G. Pulchra, and its been 2 and a half weeks and she/he went from eating every day, to not eating at all. ( i fed every day because she/he was always roaming leading me to believe its a male or, its very hungry and it turned out hungry)

at first i thought molt was coming, but its been almost 3 weeks.....is this normal?

Thanks.
It is perfectly normal, especially considering how much you were feeding it. Pre molt can last a while, it's different with every spider. Males also don't start the wandering until they mature and are looking for females.

Just make sure it has access to water and leave it be. Try offering food weekly, it could either be in pre molt, or just not hungry anymore considering how often it was eating. If it doesn't eat within 24 hrs then remove the food and wait another week or so. They can go long periods of time without eating, it's not a concern.

JDeRosa

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I once had a Pulchra that NEVER ate. Well, maybe a few crix a year. It was insanely aggro too. Some T's have weird personalities that are different.

NevularScorpion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
100% its going to molt just make sure you keep a water dish near by inside its cage

Thanks.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
100% its going to molt just make sure you keep a water dish near by inside its cage

Fingers crossed {D; I've never seen a T molt, is the growth noticable or marginal and is onlyl noticed after several molts?

ps; I know to leave the T alone when its molting. (But do I need to mist it whilst it molts or just leave it be?)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Um...

If you leave it alone, you're not going to be misting it.

That would kind of negate the whole 'leave it alone' thing, don't you think?

Internal hydration is more important than external hydration. Make sure the spider has a full water dish and you'll be fine.

That whole '100% it's gonna molt' thing is complete garbage, unless they actually saw your spider. Your descriptions thus far do not indicate an impending molt at all.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Um...

If you leave it alone, you're not going to be misting it.

That would kind of negate the whole 'leave it alone' thing, don't you think?

Internal hydration is more important than external hydration. Make sure the spider has a full water dish and you'll be fine.

That whole '100% it's gonna molt' thing is complete garbage, unless they actually saw your spider. Your descriptions thus far do not indicate an impending molt at all.
Doesn't look like she/he is going to molt but one can hope that it's headed that way. Anyway, and I keep the substrate pretty dry (read: bone dry) with a full water dish, I was asking more if more moisture would be better when molting.

PS: I think the attitude is unwarranted.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No, more moisture would not be better while molting - it would disturb the spider.

I'm sorry if you interpreted my clarification of your contradiction as an attitude.

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
No, more moisture would not be better while molting - it would disturb the spider.

I'm sorry if you interpreted my clarification of your contradiction as an attitude.
dude i think your funny i dunno y just how you anwser things lol

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Happy Days

The kids must be out of school. It's simple do not ask a question if your not willing to listen to the answer. Joe has far more to offer than you could absorb, take the advice and move on already.:?:wall:

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Joe has far more to offer than you could absorb, take the advice and move on already.:?:wall:

Lost me on that one chief. (Its also presumptuous)

And thanks xhexdx for your help I really appreciate it, I hate the Internet for the fact you cant hear tone of voice.

Stopdroproll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You really can't tell if a spider is going to molt unless it's (1) very fat, (2) you can see completely black abdomen under the hairs, (3) not eating, or (4) on its back and molting.

shypoet

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fingers crossed {D; I've never seen a T molt, is the growth noticable or marginal and is onlyl noticed after several molts?

ps; I know to leave the T alone when its molting. (But do I need to mist it whilst it molts or just leave it be?)
don't mist it while it's molting. Just leave it alone, and it'll be ok :)

When Suzie was alive and molted, I couldn't really tell a difference in her size.

sja69

Arachnopeon
You said it hasn't eaten for 3 weeks? My G. Pulchra's last 2 molts were 4 weeks apart, so I'd hazard a guess that it is in premolt.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What were the visible signs on your G. Pulchra?

mine had a dark spot show up on its rump near where it joins the body, and i assumed that was a sign of pre molt. But that dissappeared and there is no shed exo in the enclosure.

sja69

Arachnopeon
It tends to get dark all over late into premolt (at 1 7/8" mine is yet to reach Pulchra black).
After molt it looks bright and vibrant with a very hairy abdomen.
If you check on yours daily you should notice if it has molted because it will be visibly bigger (mine grew 3/4" after recent molt) and the colour and tone should be notably different.
As for the shed skin, maybe check inside burrow if it has one.