G. Pulchra slings ^^,

winwin

Arachnoknight
Hey guys, I just bought 2 pulchra slings for 1200php each, that's around 28usd. Both of them are around 2" already. I found that 1 of them lacks a pedipalp but it'll grow back so it's not a problem. It's funny how 2 slings of the same species would act so differently, the 1 with the lacking pedipalp is pretty docile and slow moving, but the other 1 is very skittish. They don't flick though. Also, i've heard they are boring to watch when feeding because they aren't aggressive towards prey, but that doesn't seem to be the case with mine, they pounce on food just like my geniculata.

Now my question, the 2 of them are about the same size but the one lacking a pedipalp looks bulkier with the other one having longer looking legs? What does that indicate?

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Male and female mayhaps would need pictures to say for sure an who ever said they are boring at feeding was on drugs mine inhales food before it touches the substrate

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also, i've heard they are boring to watch when feeding because they aren't aggressive towards prey, but that doesn't seem to be the case with mine, they pounce on food just like my geniculata.
i'll add in my two cents on this. i've never actually heard anything against their feeding response, except that Grammostolas tend to grow slow, so if you keep feeding them they will probably start refusing unwanted prey more often than, say a similar sized LP.

my pulchra sling is actually one of my best eaters, it pounces on stuff ridiculously fast. i tried tong feeding it and it pulled the prey out of the tongs, like a mini game of tug-of-war. very cool little sling.

winwin

Arachnoknight
I took a good look at both of them and found that the smaller one looks blacker and the bigger one looks more brown. Does that indicate that 1 is male and the other a female?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Color is not an indication of male or female. They tend to be brown when they are slings. They blacken out as they get older. The males are a bit more leggy but that should be taken as nothing more than a hunch. Post some vent photos here or just wait until they molt and sex them with a magnifying glass.

P. S. G. pulchra are the best eaters and a load of fun to watch, now you know! I wouldnt call them very slow growing. I bought three at .5" on sept/11/10 They are now 2"DLS after 4 months being kept at 85 deg.

My slowest grower: Eauthlus sp. blue grew from .25 to 1"DLS after 6 months. Even my Aphonopelma sp. new river isnt as patient! {D

Congrats on the pulchra! Enjoy your "spider pigs" :D -Doug

winwin

Arachnoknight
Color is not an indication of male or female. They tend to be brown when they are slings. They blacken out as they get older. The males are a bit more leggy but that should be taken as nothing more than a hunch. Post some vent photos here or just wait until they molt and sex them with a magnifying glass.

P. S. G. pulchra are the best eaters and a load of fun to watch, now you know! I wouldnt call them very slow growing. I bought three at .5" on sept/11/10 They are now 2"DLS after 4 months being kept at 85 deg.

My slowest grower: Eauthlus sp. blue grew from .25 to 1"DLS after 6 months. Even my Aphonopelma sp. new river isnt as patient! {D

I'm enjoying them a lot. I'm powerfeeding them and keeping them hot til they molt and get black. It's just so much fun to watch them eat. Plus they look cute when they run around with their butts up in the air, 1st time i saw a T do that. ^__^ do they usually get less skittish when they get bigger?

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

My slowest grower: Euathlus sp. blue grew from .25 to 1"DLS after 6 months. Even my Aphonopelma sp. new river isnt as patient! {D

one is could just a moult ahead of the other? i agree with you though, they aren't terribly slow growing in certain situations, but that is a different topic for a different thread ;)

ps. that Euathlus still giving you trouble, doug? mine finally moulted again after what feels like ages (4 mos.) and hit 1.5"! i guess that probably means i have a boy...

OP, i'm sure they exist but i personally haven't met an incredibly skiddish pulchra yet, i think its just a size thing as a sling. they have a reputation for being some of the most docile, beginner-safe tarantulas in the hobby.

winwin

Arachnoknight
Hahaha I guess they have that ability as slings. {D
Mine don't kick hairs though, it just runs around with butts in the sky. Haha how come none of my other ts do that? My darlingi, obt, lividum and genic just threat poses at me. Lol

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Mine don't kick hairs though, it just runs around with butts in the sky. Haha how come none of my other ts do that? My darlingi, obt, lividum and genic just threat poses at me. Lol
They do that to look bigger and they can drop thier abdomen really fast to send a plume of hairs at its annoyance.