G. pulchra sling hasn't eaten in over a year. Should I be concerned? / Is the enclosure too damp?

Skullion

Arachnopeon
My first and only T.

I overfed it a bit when I first got it (about two years ago).

It stopped eating about a year... (year and a half?) ago. I've heard of older spiders doing this, especially Grammastolas, so I haven't worried too much about it... Especially with it being a pulchra, but should I be more worried?

I water it regularly and offer food every-so-often, but it never seems interested.
It looks healthy and moves around a lot. I'm well aware that G. pulchra are glacially slow growing, but is it normal for them to stop eating for long periods at such a young age? For reference, mine is 5 years old and hasn't gone properly black yet.

Should I try offering different feeders, or just wait for it to get hungry?

I've been offering meal worms, since they are the smallest feeders that I have a ready supply of. I offer one per attempted feeding, crushing the head with tweezers so that it can't burrow. Furthermore, I never leave the prey in overnight. I also tried giving the spider a small cricket once, but it wasn't interested.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this normal?

Also, if you do suggest trying new feeders, what feeders would you suggest? I've heard small roaches can be good.

I also have a brief secondary question: The substrate in the enclosure is a little bit damp, which was an accident on my part. I've heard mixed answers on if this is okay for a pulchra or not. If it's too damp, how can I reduce the dampness, without stressing the T?

I'm paranoid about being a dumb*** and accidentally causing harm to my little guy... I have included some pictures of the tarantula and its enclosure, and I apologize for the absolute potato quality.

IMG-20230311-182317.jpg IMG-20230311-182332.jpg IMG-20230311-182342.jpg IMG-20230311-182351.jpg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
This is all normal, especially for Grammostola, and especially for slings that have been fed heavily early on. Just be glad that it hasn't buried itself for the same period of time, which happens often, as well. It is still plenty plump, so there's no need to keep offering it food until after it molts.

If you feel like the sub is too damp and isn't drying out, you might add more ventilation to the enclosure, just above the surface level of the substrate. The other option would be to scoop out half of the moist sub and replace it with dry stuff.

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Fat spider, no need to feed. Has it molted in your care? It will be slimmer and likely hungrier after a molt.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
That's a very chunky spider! It's probably not eating because it's not hungry and/ or is approaching a molt. They have an extremely slow metabolism and grow at a glacial pace. Very long periods of fasting are common in the genus. As long as your sling's abdomen isn't shriveled (and it's definitely not!) there's no need to be concerned.

Skullion

Arachnopeon
This is all normal, especially for Grammostola, and especially for slings that have been fed heavily early on. Just be glad that it hasn't buried itself for the same period of time, which happens often, as well. It is still plenty plump, so there's no need to keep offering it food until after it molts.

If you feel like the sub is too damp and isn't drying out, you might add more ventilation to the enclosure, just above the surface level of the substrate. The other option would be to scoop out half of the moist sub and replace it with dry stuff.
Ah, okay. That's a big relief, and thank you. <3

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
It hasn't molted yet to my knowledge.
Well, it's probably due for a molt (when its glacial growth timetable gets around to it), and then you can start feeding again, and all will be good.
Nice animal 👍

Last edited:

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
Just average room temp range. Around 68-76°F most of the time.
That’s also going to contribute to your tarantulas habits. Daytime temps average between 81 and 87 throughout the year in their endemic range. Anything cooler and their already slow metabolism slows down to a glacial crawl. So much so it would make a slug look like Speedy Gonzales lol

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
That’s also going to contribute to your tarantulas habits. Daytime temps average between 81 and 87 throughout the year in their endemic range. Anything cooler and their already slow metabolism slows down to a glacial crawl. So much so it would make a slug look like Speedy Gonzales lol
Keep in mind that pretty much all "terrestrial" T's are really fossorial, and that they're going to be staying in their burrows most of the time (especially during the day) where things are a bit cooler.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Unfortunately, your photos don't tell much. In any case, the soil should not stick, otherwise it will definitely be too moist in the long run. What surprises me: in this phase of life and the possibility of digging, the spider should actually be buried in its hiding place. If you dug it up, that was a mistake. This can certainly delay development. And already described several times: it can't eat anything because it has obviously reached its maximum capacity 🤣

Last edited:

curtisgiganteus

ArachnoViking, Conqueror of Poikilos and Therion
Old Timer
Keep in mind that pretty much all "terrestrial" T's are really fossorial, and that they're going to be staying in their burrows most of the time (especially during the day) where things are a bit cooler.
You are correct, however burrow temps for an ambient 68-75 can be as low as 60. Burrow temps for an ambient 83 average will still sit above 70 in the burrow. And for tarantulas, a single degree is ALOT

Skullion

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately, your photos don't tell much. In any case, the soil should not stick, otherwise it will definitely be too moist in the long run. What surprises me: in this phase of life and the possibility of digging, the spider should actually be buried in its hiding place. If you dug it up, that was a mistake. This can certainly delay development. And already described several times: it can't eat anything because it has obviously reached its maximum capacity 🤣
That's odd. Mine has a burrow (which, no, I've never dug it up from), but it's usually out in the open to some degree.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
This is are rare sight with my juvenile pulchras... as said, they spend (here) very much time in the hide. My adults are out most of time...
On the picture you can also see the conditions when I speak of slightly moist soil.

DSCN7706.JPG

Last edited: