G, pulchra popularity?

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I noticed that several people really wanted those and I have no idea why. I would rather go for a horned T or another pokie. Could somebody enlighten me?

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Probably because they like them? ;) :)

They get big and bulky, glossy black, super docile, great eaters...... those are some of the reasons I like them.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can you wear them on your neck as an ornament (live ones of course)? :)

Yeah, obviously they like them! And I want the details, if the attraction goes beyond unconscious feeling.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, for the most part they are very gentle, grow to a nice size, and live a long time. Plus the jet black is VERY beautiful and not common in the tarantual world. Brown is common, and dark black mixed in also, but just plain jet black is kinda rare. You should look at a picture of a freshly molted adult, stunning in my opinion.

Side now, my 1" G Pulchra sling arrives today!!!!!!!!!!!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The reason I like them is because they are a full jet black, I myself love the color or shade, for you literal people, black. The fact that this spider is rare as well makes me want it more. It's mostly just the black and docile nature that makes me want it. It is just visually appealing.

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
They look wicked, eat like fiends, and mostly are kittens when it comes to handling.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Jet black is indeed a rare coloration of tarantulas, and very beautiful. With black being my favorite color and all. (P. irminia is still a better black!!)

-Sean

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Jet black is indeed a rare coloration of tarantulas, and very beautiful. With black being my favorite color and all. (P. irminia is still a better black!!)

-Sean

Cause it has the Halloween colors! :} Halloween is a candy holiday and P.irminia is an eye candy. It all fits! Yum.

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
G pulchra always struck me as the classic tarantula. Jet black, large and all around classy. I love the look, the classic G pulchra attitude would have been nice too, but mine is a psycho. Oh well, I love her anyway.

You couldn't give me a pokie. Not even a blue one. But it's all about personal taste in what is and isn't desirable. To each their own.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
personally I like pokies, but about a year ago i HATED them, i thought all were ugly, and they then grew on me. Same with the pulchra honestly. When i first started i preferred BIG and colorful T's. Now i love them all, and the Pulchra is just a sweet heart. Im going to have 2 display T's, my Cyriopagopus sp. "blue" and my G Pulchra (in about 5 years when its grown ha). If/when i get another P Metallica (i sold mine off a while ago), i will make that a display one also.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bah, pookies. I'm a terrestrial guy.

The only arboreal T's I'm willing to get, or even want, is P. Irminia (got it), H. Maculata and S. Calceatum. Then there's some other semi´s or full arboreal afrikan baboons that also appeal. But no pookies.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When I started collecting t's two and a half years ago I had the pleasure of seeing someones G. pulchra in person. It was love at first sight! Pictures really don't do them justice! Plus, they are normally VERY docile. I also like the stocky look they have. They also stay out in the open which makes them a nice display tarantula.

I finally got one today. A little 1" sling. It's cute already!

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yup my 1" sling came, im guessing from the same place as yours. I cant wait till it grows a bit. Gonna go and give it its first meal today when i pick up some small crickets for my P Ornata sling.

monitormonster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yay for the tiny little G. Pulchras~~~

Got mine yesterday, cant wait for it to be over 5"....hehe, I bet I will be waiting quite a while for that...

JenNJay

Arachnopeon
How we love our Pulchra's... let us count the ways.

1. They are totally jet black.
2. They eat very well.
3. Each of ours seem to have their own personality.
4. They are totally jet black.
5. They almost look like they are made of crushed velvet (black, of course).
6. They are very well tempered and easy to handle.
7. They are totally jet black.
8. They are easy to take care of (low humidity and room temps).
9. They do silly things sometimes (one of our males likes to stand on his hide with his abdomen sticking straight up in the air). *We posted a pic of it.
10. Did we mention that they are totally jet black?

:D :D :D ~JenNJay~ :D :D :D

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am a fan of the black also so Im sure I will get one eventually.... I almost picked up one of the inchers but I just couldn't get myself to pay over $40 including shipping right now for a little one like that. By the time they are available again Im sure I will have talked myself into it... ;)

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If I want a pet rock Grammostola, then I want a nice colored one. The glossy blue black is extremely nice. They are not commonly bred yet so there is money to be had if you are lucky enough.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i know the feeling Hamburglar. Ive been looking for almost a year now, and always just find adults for $200+ which I dont want to spend, so figured I might as well go for this while it was around. I spent the last year talking myself into it, and this was my chance ha.

Not to mention of all the Grammostola species this seems to be one of the more active (for a Tarantula). They usually sit in the open, maybe considered a pet rock to some, but so long as its visible I dont care if it sits in the same spot for a week on end. Ive heard that its a toss up between this and Aureostriata for most active Grammostolas.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
They're just gorgeous! All the reasons previously stated can't be said enough. I got my little guy from SSW last Thursday, and s/he's settling-in beautifully. I couldn't resist when I've wanted one for so long. I think those guys could've sold out of G. pulchra easily at twice that price.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G pulchra always struck me as the classic tarantula. Jet black, large and all around classy. I love the look, the classic G pulchra attitude would have been nice too, but mine is a psycho. Oh well, I love her anyway.

You couldn't give me a pokie. Not even a blue one. But it's all about personal taste in what is and isn't desirable. To each their own.
thats how i look at them to i love to have one as for pokies all i can say is beware of the beast lol ****** phil