G. Pulchra on it's back in water dish

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Ok, now this shocked me. My 11/2-2" G.Pulchra was on it's back in the water dish. I freaked out and used a straw to move it out. One detail to note is once in a while I see it hanging out in the corner above the water dish so I am guessing it fell from there into the water dish but it's just my guess. Picture of water dish attached. I changed this out to a much smaller one because I think it is oversized compared to the size of the T. There is no way it was trying to molt in the water, right ? I purchased this in December and it has yet to molt since I've owned it.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Why are your images red, it makes it hard to see what's going on. My point is take pictures w/white light, it won't kill your T..... I can't make it any detail, just water. It likely fell.

I've seen Avics swim in the rivers in S. America, I'm never worried about dish and Ts. NEVER.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Anytime you see a spider on its back, leave it alone...don’t bother it. Highly likely that it is about to moult.

B607CD49-AB8E-4425-A9A8-B096F1A3EDFD.jpeg

As many times that I have caught my slings in this position, my initial reaction is still shock.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Why are your images red, it makes it hard to see what's going on. My point is take pictures w/white light, it won't kill your T..... I can't make it any detail, just water. It likely fell.

I've seen Avics swim in the rivers in S. America, I'm never worried about dish and Ts. NEVER.
I have red light bulbs in my light so everything appears to have a redish tint.

@Colorado Ts My T on it's back is smaller than the opening of the water dish I have pictured. So you are saying that my T was preparing to molt in the water ?

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Just to be more precise, my Pulchra was on its back inside the water dish, and the water dish filled with water. It is not bigger than the water dish pictured. It was floating on its back and not moving. Had it been on the substrate i would not have touched it, but of course it was floating on water inside the water dish. I didn't think of taking picture as I freaked out and moved it out immediately so the only thing pictured is the water dish. Out of everything I have read I have never come across anything like this and have never heard of a T molting ontop of water.

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
The only time that I’ve ever seen any spider on its back is when its moulting.

I’ve never heard of a spider floating on its back in a water dish. I sincerely have no idea what that behavior is about...

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
My T. albopilosum just molted (when I wasn't around) and I found the molt in the water dish. I have a feeling she pushed it there though as she is definitely a little bulldozer, but you never know. I do hope your pulchra is doing okay.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
Ok, now this shocked me. My 11/2-2" G.Pulchra was on it's back in the water dish. I freaked out and used a straw to move it out. One detail to note is once in a while I see it hanging out in the corner above the water dish so I am guessing it fell from there into the water dish but it's just my guess. Picture of water dish attached. I changed this out to a much smaller one because I think it is oversized compared to the size of the T. There is no way it was trying to molt in the water, right ? I purchased this in December and it has yet to molt since I've owned it.
molting i dunno but i remember a member posting a pic of their t just floating around in its water dish they do crazy stuff somtimes

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't recall anyone showing a T in a dish floating like it's a bath...Id have to see that!

It wouldn't molt in the water, of course there's an exception somewhere.........

Only examples of this I've read here are attributed to a T falling into dish from some height.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
I don't recall anyone showing a T in a dish floating like it's a bath...Id have to see that!

It wouldn't molt in the water, of course there's an exception somewhere.........

Only examples of this I've read here are attributed to a T falling into dish from some height.

Now I wish I would have got a picture of it. I think you guys would have been shocked to see what I saw upon checking on all my T's. It was really floating on its back on top of the water. I took a straw moved to the side and it grabbed the straw, flipped back over and ran across the enclosure.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Now I wish I would have got a picture of it. I think you guys would have been shocked to see what I saw upon checking on all my T's. It was really floating on its back on top of the water. I took a straw moved to the side and it grabbed the straw, flipped back over and ran across the enclosure.

No no, I wasn't clear enough. I believe you. Just saying I don't believe it's due because of molting.

1. I've never heard of a T going into the water and getting on its back is my point, that would NEVER happen their lungs are ventral
2. Again, only time I've heard of Ts in water - due to fall into dish, or potentially stunned a bit and fell in perhaps.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
No no, I wasn't clear enough. I believe you. Just saying I don't believe it's due because of molting.

1. I've never heard of a T going into the water and getting on its back is my point, that would NEVER happen their lungs are ventral
2. Again, only time I've heard of Ts in water - due to fall into dish, or potentially stunned a bit and fell in perhaps.
I didn't take it that way I was just responding. No worries :)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Hmm this is strange I’ve never seen a sling of mine float in any water dish let alone backstroke in a water dish. Never heard of this before, maybe he was hot and wanted to cool off a bit lol

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Hmm this is strange I’ve never seen a sling of mine float in any water dish let alone backstroke in a water dish. Never heard of this before, maybe he was hot and wanted to cool off a bit lol
I have never seen it by the water dish on the ground since I got it in December but I have seen it hanging out above it in the corner maybe once a month. The only thing that makes sense with all the responses I got is it fell from above the water dish and landed on its back in the water.

argo

Arachnopeon
Hello there! What you are describing sounds very familiar to this video I've seen recently:

Sadly, the T had passed away due to drowning according to the owner... I'd like to know how the T is doing for you atm! It was probably best to remove them from the the inside of the water bowl.
I was wondering if maybe this behaviour is due to not having enough of the necessary moisture to molt properly.

jaw6053

Arachnobaron
Hello there! What you are describing sounds very familiar to this video I've seen recently:

Sadly, the T had passed away due to drowning according to the owner... I'd like to know how the T is doing for you atm! It was probably best to remove them from the the inside of the water bowl.
I was wondering if maybe this behaviour is due to not having enough of the necessary moisture to molt properly.
Just went up and checked on it again. It's just acting like it normally does, nothing different now. Pic of T attached

Attachments

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Well, apparently you've got a bad memory. :p

So, yes, I've seen this before. :wacky:

fried rice

Arachnoknight
Was it in premolt? If it was in premolt it was probably trying to molt in the water dish. Thats something I expect from a tarantula though, they do so much goofy stuff.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, apparently you've got a bad memory. :p

So, yes, I've seen this before. :wacky:
I have an excellent memory, but not a perfect memory! :p :cool: