G. Pulchra Needs Help?

Kendage

Arachnopeon
Okay, so I recently got a Grammostola Pulchra sling, about 1.5 ', and he sealed himself inside his hide from the inside. This is my first T and I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what he is up too? and what should I do? I'll get more pics if need be, and sorry about the quality because its from my cellphone.

Thanks

Attachments

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Its normal behaviour.....next time you see him, or her, he, or she will have a new outfit on....lol

Kendage

Arachnopeon
So you think he is molting? I thought it might be that, but I wanted to be sure.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So you think he is molting? I thought it might be that, but I wanted to be sure.
settin up for a molt, yes, most likley...keep an eye on him, and keep the water dish topped up....might come out at night for a drink

Kendage

Arachnopeon
settin up for a molt, yes, most likley...keep an eye on him, and keep the water dish topped up....might come out at night for a drink
okay, since you brought that up, can slings 1.5 ' have a water dish? I was told NOT to provide one until 2 ' at least or it would drown. Also what size dish should I use in your opinion.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I gave my 1.5 G.pulchra a bottle cap "trimmed" I took about an eighth of an inch off to make it a little more shallow. Mine hated the moisture on the substrate and walls of her tank.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
okay, since you brought that up, can slings 1.5 ' have a water dish? I was told NOT to provide one until 2 ' at least or it would drown. Also what size dish should I use in your opinion.
No. Do not use a water dish. Wait until it is at LEAST two inches.

Until then, lightly mist one third to one half of the enclosure, and leave the tarantula alone. It is, indeed, likely preparing to molt.

Shimotsukin

Arachnopeon
You can have a water dish, as long as it's not too deep, not recommended though, at that size it will get more than enough moisture from prey or mistings

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't use water dish's at that size but I don't see why you can't if you're smart about it. If it's a shallow cap from a bottle I don't see them drowning.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
you dont loose anything by putting a soda bottle cap with water in it into enclosure everything over 1 inch should get one imho. I have some G.Pulchra's and that a sign of a definate molt coming they tend to seal themselves off all the time before molting

Kendage

Arachnopeon
Yea he did seal himself off a little more xD from the outside a little bit more onto the original wall he built. He didn't look like he was in a pre-molt before he sealed himself off, so does anyone know how long he will be there before he even begins to molt? or come out? I know it takes a few days to molt, but I was just wondering when he would start, I just got him a week ago and I didn't think this would happen so fast.

I did give my T's a shallow water dish, a bottle cap about 1/4 inch high, My Grammostola left his alone, and my B. Smithi tipped his over (he's a skittish little guy) so does that mean he doesnt want it?

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alot of T`s will flip, or fill there dishes wit substrate....who knows why?.

Remigius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hard to say realy. I've seen mine hiding for 1 week or 2 months depending on size, and how well fed they were. I think you can expect yours to come back within a week or two.

btw - molt itself takes up to 1 day :) It's the process of preparing for it, and then recovering that takes up to 1 week each.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
from my expirience with G.pulchra slings they seal themselves off for about 14 days molt inside their tombs and then stay in there for another 10 days or so

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can have a water dish, as long as it's not too deep, not recommended though, at that size it will get more than enough moisture from prey or mistings
The purpose of keeping the enclosure moist until 2" is to not allow desiccation due to the epicuticle not being fully formed. We aren't just talking a drink in this circumstance. Here, I will let Stan Schultz explain it in his words.

Kendage ~ there is absolutely no way to know how long your tarantula will be down there. We can throw guesses at you all day long, but the tarantula will be down there as long as it sees fit. Since it is the tarantula, it is best to just trust that it knows what it is doing and leave it alone. Make sure the enclosure is humid by wetting 1/3 - 1/2 of the substrate in its enclosure once a week or so/ when you see it starting to dry out.

We have 2 G. pulchra one liked to burrow at that size and one didn't, neither sealed themselves up to molt. It is normal for small spiderlings to do though and some N(ew) W(orld) terrestrials will actually burrow down for an entire winter season. We have several species that do so and even though it is nerve wracking to have them down there for months, they are always beautifully clothed when they show their face again!:)

Kendage

Arachnopeon
Thank you

Thanks for your comments everyone! I really appreciate the quick responses, I would also like to let you know that the grammastola is still in his hide (obviously) and the B smithi is also starting to do the same thing xD so I suppose the B smithi might also be starting to molt this week...

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I agree completely with curiousme. I offer a water bottle cap as a dish to my Ts when they hit about 1"; which is when they are housed in a container large enough to accommodate one.
As for "how long.." again curiousme is correct; you just can't put an exact time frame to it. In my experience my G pulchra, at that size, have burrowed up to 4 weeks prior to molting, and stayed down an additional 2 weeks after.

Kendage

Arachnopeon
Thats a long time for a molt, I just wish I could see him inside his hide, I miss the little guy :( My B smithi (Blaze) is builiding the same thing, but he has made a pretty big window inside his hide, hopefully I can use this to my advantage and see what he is up to down there!