G. pulchra molting rate

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I've had a captive bred G. pulchra for about ten months now. In my care, it's molted twice. The first time was soon after getting it. The second was just recently.

The two molts were eight months apart, and the little bugger is still under 1".

Is that normal for this species? I've never kept one before this, and it just seems very slow to me.

-Bryan

SoCalKyle

Arachnopeon
To me that really seems like it should be getting bigger. I really dont have any experience with this species, but have raised King Baboon slings and they actaully grew at a faster rate that what ur saying ur G. Pulchra is . And they are very well know as slow growers.

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have a G. rosea that I got in february '02 at .5" and as of now it has molted only 3 times and has a leg span of a little under 1"

Must be a Grammostola thing, some individuals grow excruciatingly slow, and others rather quickly(for a Grammostola). I would not worry too much, just be very patient.

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i have had ours since the end of January.

She has molted twice, and is about six inches now.

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by TheEternal
I've had a captive bred G. pulchra for about ten months now. In my care, it's molted twice. The first time was soon after getting it. The second was just recently.

The two molts were eight months apart, and the little bugger is still under 1".

Is that normal for this species? I've never kept one before this, and it just seems very slow to me.

-Bryan
Bryan,

My G. pulchra shed 2 times in 2.5 months and almost doubled in size, 1.75" to 3.25" during that time. I feed her a lot. When ever I post this growth rate people say, "it sounds like a male", but she's female and grew that fast.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
G. pulchura is listed on caresheets as a slow grower. Unless you got a pygmy!!

Tim R.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bought this G. pulchra 4 months ago, it's had three molts and has gone from 1" to just over 2".

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bryan, what temps are you keeping the pulchra at? are you power feeding it? I have 7 pulchras and they are not the fastest growing tarantula out there.........
Ed

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by atavuss
Bryan, what temps are you keeping the pulchra at? are you power feeding it? I have 7 pulchras and they are not the fastest growing tarantula out there.........
Ed
I keep her around 85 degrees (the temp of my bedroom). I've also been power-feeding her. Nothing works, it seems.

I've never had ANY spiderlings grow this slowly.

-Bryan

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Mine has molted 4 times and is over 2 inches now. It started out max. 1 inch, and grew alot blacker and thicker with each molt.

1 Early Dec. 2002 1 1/3"
2 Jan. 25 2003 1.5"
3 Mar. 4 2003 2 3/16"
4 Apr. 14 2003 not yet measured.

Mark

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bryan,

I've got several G. pulchra and my experience has mirrored yours. They seem to be very slow growers... even slower than my B. smithi's.

Botar

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bryan,
I'll just add my moly record so that you can compare. I've only had this tarantula, but I also read frequently that pulchras were slow growers.

Received: September 26.2002-1"
Molt 1: November 2.2002-approx. 1.5"
Molt 2:December 19.2002-2" (i was surprised with the speed between the first and second molt)
Molt 3:February 3.2003-2.5"

Peso hasn't molted since february, so I guess his cycle is beginning to slow down a bit, and he's adopting that slow pulchra charm. I know I've added no new information, but I thought it might help you out a little. Also, Peso looks exactly as yours does, right down to the coloring.
Paul

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Great information!! I was wondering... how exactly do you measure your slings? I need to measure mine, no quite sure how!!!

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
Great information!! I was wondering... how exactly do you measure your slings? I need to measure mine, no quite sure how!!!
It requires a sextant, a bowl of green jello, and a corset... or you could try a ruler.

Botar

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Gee thanks.... can you tell me how to use a ruler and where I could purchase such a technical measuring device? And how do I train them to lay down on the ruler?

Perhaps I should be more specific:
Do you measure the legs stretched out or just in natural stance?
It's from tip to tip front legs to back leg, correct?
How would one measure a mean and nasty h. lividium?
I guestimate the size of mine, when y'all give measurements, does it mean you have ACTUALLY measured them?

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
From www.e-spiderworld.com:
"Sizes are based on the distance between the tip of Leg I and the tip of Leg IV and are approximate measurements only." (Hoke)

That's one way...

I think you will find that there are many different ways to measure... for example, in the centipede world, some people measure length including terminal legs, and some people just measure trunk length. It just depends on the situation. As far as measuring mean nasties... I know a lot of pede keepers will put something in the enclosure that's a definite size, like a dollar bill or a quarter, and then estimate based on that.

Or, you could just throw a ruler on the ground in the enclosure and hope they walk across it. :)

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
Gee thanks.... can you tell me how to use a ruler...
It requires dim lights, soft music, and a tub-o-Crisco.

From what I understand, it is a measurement with the legs spread out. Most people will lay something down of a known legth next to the T. (ink pen, quarter, dollar, etc.) I've actually measured some of my arboreals while on the side of their container. I believe most "measurements" are actually "guesstimates" and some people are much better at it than others.

Then again, there is the story of the 10-inch B. smithi of days gone by.

Botar

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Thank you. I'm gonna try a dollar bill.

And remember, when dealing with a blonde... you must FULLY explain these things. You people honestly can't expect me to use a RULER!!!:D

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I thought about posting something about the "on/off switch" on the ruler, but I had visons in my mind of you neglecting your loved ones for hours while trying to find it.

One more word of caution... I would be very suspect of any T measurement you get from a man... you know how we tend to exaggerate things measured in inches.

Botar

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well my G. pulchra is on the same page with Bryan and Botar's. Here is my molt history:

09-12-2002: bought from Art Cerda at 1"
12-20-2002:molted to 1.25"

That is the whole thing, I figure it must be almost time for another moly.