G. pulchra molting, again...

jt39565

Arachnoknight
I got her(not sure yet on the sex, just hoping) in july of 2010, about 1" sling. Since then she is consitently been molting about every 5 weeks. However since Dec she has been molting about every 3 weeks! Its crazy! She just molted last week ate once and is now going thru her premolt rituals. I know the T's know best but I was wondering if anyone else has had this "problem" ?
I feed her small crickets( when able to eat) and only one at a time every 3-4 days no power feeding for her.
Its just weird.

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Thats strange ive had mine since October of last year and has only molted twice in my care...I feed it about once or twice a week..Sounds like you got a male there..

jt39565

Arachnoknight
A male would be cool, I just wish my T's would leave me enough exuvium(?) to sex them.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
Just an update...

G. pulchra is still buried, sealed tighter than King Tuts tomb. I know the go to line is "T's know what they are doing, leave them be" - but honestly, at what point should I consider the option of digging it up?

Kendage

Arachnopeon
My Pulchra has done the same thing, received him in november, molted 2-3 times since. He burried himself up in a piece of wood I had found outside as I didn't have cork bark at the time, baked it, used it temporarily. Then he sealed himself off, for about 4-6 weeks if I recall, quite a long time, and it started growing mold so I had to rehouse him. I decided to take careful steps of taking out most of the substrate that could fall down around him, and removed the wood, he was sealed inside, hardened, with a molt webbed up onto the piece of wood. No substrate fell on him, no harm done.

Amazing T, he has a new enclosure now, and is always out, always active, he actually climbs up the walls of the Kritter Keeper and I see his fangs stretch outside the bars at the top, if you know what I mean, pretty crazy stuff. Going to make him a new one again, semi arboreal, suits him better:cool:.

I'm pretty sure mine's a male, though. Yours sounds like one too.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is a rundown of the first 6 months of having our G. pulchra.

After that they both molted in 7-10. Mulder on the 16th and Scully on the 7th.

That is a bit nuts for it to be growing fast, but it makes me think that you are keeping it at higher temps. So, what temp. do you keep it at?