G. pulchra mating

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
I mated these a few days ago and got some pictures. Now if I can only get some spiderlings! Here's the male (foreground) approaching the female. There wasn't a lot of tapping or quivering on his part that I could see, but the female must have sensed his presence somehow because she started moving toward him about the time this picture was taken.

Joy

Last edited:

Joy

Old Timer
At this point they've come together. I've seen matings of this species where this initial encounter was pretty violent and it was hard to tell whether the female's intentions were amorous or homicidal, but that wasn't the case here.

Joy

Last edited:

Joy

Old Timer
This picture took place just before insertion. He got both palps in solidly, then got out of there at warp speed. The female made one of the most determined and strenuous efforts I've ever seen to kill him, but fortunately the Great Wooden Spoon was on hand to intervene, and he will live to mate another day.

He's already mated with another of my females, so this makes 2 successes for him. What a stud!

Holley, any idea when your male will get here? Did you want to try mating him first with your new girl?

Joy

Last edited:

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That's awesome Joy!

They're not the easiest to get fertile sacs from, so I wish you all the luck and success.
Awesome!
john

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: WOW!

Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
those are awsome Ts Joy, good luck with the mating process!

James
Yeah, I agree. Those Ts are very good looking. I've been thinking about getting a female of this species, but I'm not sure.. They're kind of expensive and grow slower than king babboons, but not as slow as red knees.. But, alas, a great T overall :)

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Im getting a pulchra early next week, i cant wait until it looks that good!!!

Mark

Joy

Old Timer
Re: That's awesome Joy!

Thanks everybody, for your kind remarks!

Originally posted by LaRiz
They're not the easiest to get fertile sacs from, so I wish you all the luck and success.
Awesome!
john
I know what you mean. A couple of years ago I mated them, and had no trouble at all with the mating part. But then nothing happened--no eggsac, and no molt either, for nearly 2 years! Talk about keeping the suspense level up.

I've heard it suggested these may benefit from a cooling period as with Brachypelma, so I'm going to try that this time around. And I will definitely need all the luck you guys can wish me!

Joy

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Joy....Ed has him, and can ship him right to you...he says he will NOT mate, but just wants to hang around UPSIDE down, in his critter keeper! LOL
hopefully, he'll get it in gear LOL
Ed, you can send him to Joy!
I have no clue when my female molted, so I don't think it's any good trying with her

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Joy,
I'm almost afraid to ask, but did the male survive the mating process? I usually try to save most G.Pulchra pics that I come across so I can say to my friends "Few years from now, and there's Peso". But I honestly have to say those might be the nicest Pulchras I've seen so far in my hunt. Their coloration is awesome; almost jet black. They look great. They're also very appropriate for Halloween :)
Does anyone have any Usumbara pics they can post on this thread ;)
Praying for fertility,
Paul

Joy

Old Timer
Originally posted by Rookie
Hey Joy,
I'm almost afraid to ask, but did the male survive the mating process? I usually try to save most G.Pulchra pics that I come across so I can say to my friends "Few years from now, and there's Peso". But I honestly have to say those might be the nicest Pulchras I've seen so far in my hunt. Their coloration is awesome; almost jet black. They look great. They're also very appropriate for Halloween :)

Yes, he survived, though he wouldn't have if the female had had her way! I just caught him making a new sperm web today, so will put him back in with #1 female (the one in the picture is #2) once I've fed her up a bit.

Holley, it will be interesting to see if your male reacts differently to my females. It's amazing how differently they can respond to different (but seemingly identical) partners. The presence of Susan's male, too, may be a stimulant. I personally have had a much higher mating success rate with multiple males--100% except for the time I tried it with C. crawshayi. THAT was a circus!

Praying for fertility,
Paul
Much appreciated, Paul! :)

Joy

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Pulchra mating

Joy,
I agree, GORGEOUS t's! Good luck on the potential eggsac(s).

Gillian

Kenny

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi..

As a "T-rookie" I can say good luck Joy with your couple and I hope you get babies.MANY :D
I have a 2 inch Pulchra and it's a beauty..:D

Kenny

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joy,

Put me down for about 5 baby's when they're ready, for sure..:)

Ernie

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In the first pic it's hard to tell which is female and which is male,:?Well anyhow, I hope you get a beautiful sac out of the two "Love Birds"

Ben

Maelstrom

Arachnopeon
WOW!!!!!

I have a little tiny g. pulcha spiderling (sex = ?) and its quite inspiring to see such gorgeous specimines as those!!! One question, is that compressed coconut rind you're using for substrate?