G. Pulchra juvenile

Bigcats

Arachnopeon
Hi-my juvie g.Pulchra has been in premolt since November and hasn’t eaten since she burrowed. It’s now February 27th. It’s been a little cooler in my apartment, but never under high 60s. Is this normal ? I saw her in her burrow a few days ago, as she was closing up an open hole next to the wall of the enclosure.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Sounds perfectly normal. Have you been feeding her regularly? If yes, that means she has enough nutrients stored to get her through her next moult so she burrows down. Just keep the waterdish topped off and she'll be fine.

Oswoc

Arachnosquire
My G. Pulchra juvie sealed her burrow 3 days ago, shortly after munching a cricket... its my first T, and concerned like you already lol

Keen to know how you get on!

I dont see the point of providing water, when she's sealed off from it? I'll still replace it weekly, but seems a bit pointless :s

Peace

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Normal for slow growing species to not eat for months at a time (especially if overfed), had a 1cm Aphonopelma bicoloratum sling seal itself away for over 5 months before moulting

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Very normal behavior, welcome to the world of slow growing NW’s. Sit back and enjoy it likely won’t come out before it’s ready.
I dont see the point of providing water, when she's sealed off from it?
Because you never know when it will come out and need water. It may try and find nothing, not a good practice. It takes 2sec to fill up a water dish, zero reason to be that lazy and not! ;)

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
My G Pulchra was just hanging out and when the Pulchripes next door took a day and a half to molt, she said "Whatevs" and molted in about 3 hrs

Attachments

JPG

Auto-Disclaimer Enabled
This G. pulchra is one of my first T an year and a half ago and made this little photo set after the "traumatic" experience of it disappearing.

burry.png

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Normal for slow growing species to not eat for months at a time (especially if overfed), had a 1cm Aphonopelma bicoloratum sling seal itself away for over 5 months before moulting
I feel you on that. I have two that are about 1cm and borrowed and sealed off one week after I got them. It’s been 3 or so months now. One I can see from the bottom, the other decided it was not a peep show and put sub over where I used to be able to observe it.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I feel you on that. I have two that are about 1cm and borrowed and sealed off one week after I got them. It’s been 3 or so months now. One I can see from the bottom, the other decided it was not a peep show and put sub over where I used to be able to observe it.
I think it must be a winter thing, mine normally stays out and moults every couple of months but at the end of November/start of December it goes into hiding on some extended pre-moult flex, first time it did this it stayed sealed away until the start of April.

Kamikaze

@baboonmanila
Old Timer
Sometimes they just go on hunger strike. I just make sure that there's a water dish around.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
In the natural habitat of the pulchras it can sometimes have temperatures below zero. Accordingly, they dig themselves deep. My GPS are usually well over 100 days away every year, the stupidest thing you can do is dig them up.
If you want to breed, it is advisable to lower the temperature during the winter months to 12 to 15 degrees Celsius, as this encourages the females to build an egg sac ...

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
My G. Pulchra juvie has also sealed themselves in about 10 days ago! I know it's just what they like to do but it's still easy to be an overbearing spider mother and worry

Bigcats

Arachnopeon
I feel so much better you guys! I had heard that people are horrible to new keepers on here and I’m blown away. Yes, she is hiding but I know she’s okay. I got this species because of her docile temperament (which she does have) and have heard how slow growing they are. I’ve had her since July and she’s molted once back in September. Thanks for keeping me worry-free!

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I feel so much better you guys! I had heard that people are horrible to new keepers on here and I’m blown away. Yes, she is hiding but I know she’s okay. I got this species because of her docile temperament (which she does have) and have heard how slow growing they are. I’ve had her since July and she’s molted once back in September. Thanks for keeping me worry-free!
I believe - although still quite new here - that nobody is treated cruelly in this forum. Unfortunately, people usually just misinterpret criticism. But ultimately criticism opens a door to do something better. One should appreciate this and make something of it. Horrible, for example, would not get any reaction! It depends on the way you look at it!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
No one here is horrible. Some people here are terse, and don't try to soften their tone when providing advice.
They are terse because they love the hobby, love Ts, and see lots of new folks making mistakes simply because they didn't do any research prior to buying.
Some folks, and I am guessing most are under 35, just don't take this sort of criticism without getting defensive, or hurt.
So the forum gets a bad reputation.
On the opposite side, these terse recommendations if followed will provide one with years of successful husbandry, so if one can listen, accept and apply, it is a blessing.
On a last note: When all the other info from all those other forums or social media fails one, they run here. Because those nicer forums are short on info so when it hits the fan everyone runs
to the cranky older keepers that may save your T. So take the good with the bad, if you get scolded, accept it, thank them, and move on.
They are just words people, and if the level of discourse here is a tad harsh on your feelings, may I suggest you never apply for a job in the printing industry.

Last edited: