G. pulchra, interesting problem

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay, so this guy got a photo shoot today. I tried unsuccessfully to wrap a bit of coban around it. I decided against gauze and tried the coban because it sticks to itself. Great idea, but it wasn't going to happen, because the amount of room I had to work it around. If he had been bigger, I'm fairly certain I could have done it. So, one thing tried and failed. I'm not sure what the point of putting petroleum jelly on it would be. It would just get substrate suck to it and then I couldn't see the spot anymore. I'm going to veto that one, but thanks for the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Okay, so this guy got a photo shoot today. I tried unsuccessfully to wrap a bit of coban around it. I decided against gauze and tried the coban because it sticks to itself. Great idea, but it wasn't going to happen, because the amount of room I had to work it around. If he had been bigger, I'm fairly certain I could have done it. So, one thing tried and failed. I'm not sure what the point of putting petroleum jelly on it would be. It would just get substrate suck to it and then I couldn't see the spot anymore. I'm going to veto that one, but thanks for the idea.

I'm with you on the Vaseline. Well, just keep a very close eye on it. Maybe take a picture every week or so to ensure it doesn't get worse without you noticing - that way you'll have something to look back on. If the abdomen starts to get really irritated, you'll need to do something. Not sure what that something is, yet.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
New pictures and the only thing that appears to have changed is the white spot, which has gone down. I'm fairly sure at this point that it was poo, persistent poo, but poo nonetheless. Alas, I couldn't get a good pic of the poo.

20170420_104750.jpg 20170420_104750.jpg 20170420_104906.jpg

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
New pictures and the only thing that appears to have changed is the white spot, which has gone down. I'm fairly sure at this point that it was poo, persistent poo, but poo nonetheless. Alas, I couldn't get a good pic of the poo.

View attachment 237458 View attachment 237458 View attachment 237460
Yeah might have been guts from a feeder, or poo. I remember once feeding my L.parahybana a horn worm that literally exploded when she bit into it, I didn't notice until a few days later that some of the juices got stuck to her carapace, it dried there and looked just like the white stuff on your Ts abdomen. I just used a moist cotton swab to clean it off.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He molted out of the problem! He looks beautiful in his new clothes. I fed him sparingly since the problem first arose and it worked.